Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need help identifying Donzi 18 classic

Those seats look familiar to me...

I feel like I've seen this boat advertised on CL last fall and it was on the east coast in MD I think. If it is the same boat it was being advertised as a replica but I can not remember who the ad said manufactured it.

I recall that it had fresh paint and the price was good regardless of who made it in my opinion.

yes sorry to say it is not a donzi it looks like a vance which was one of the many replica/splashes made of the 16 and 18 stiill a neat boat
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

fuel fill

Quote Originally Posted by jl1962 View Post
    Cockpit tub looks wrong.

Also some deck details - where is the fuel fill cap?

May be a splash (copy) of an 18 hull.
    It is to the right in front of steering wheel about 1 ft from edge of cockpit.

Angry Vance

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    yes sorry to say it is not a donzi it looks like a vance which was one of the many replica/splashes made of the 16 and 18 stiill a neat boat
    Can you or someone tell me more about what a Vance is? I'd like to trace the origin some.

The folks at Donzi did not seem to think copies were made other than the Four Winns U boats. Naiive I guess...
    Henry

Transom adapter

Also a question for others who have been there before me... If I wanted to change the drive from the 270/280 Volvo to Mercruiser, is there an adapter plate on the market? Or must I fill in the transom?
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by 45171 View Post
    I feel like I've seen this boat advertised on CL last fall and it was on the east coast in MD I think. If it is the same boat it was being advertised as a replica but I can not remember who the ad said manufactured it.

I recall that it had fresh paint and the price was good regardless of who made it in my opinion.
    This one is from SC, was on CL. I got it at a good price, so I may just keep it.
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by HandCdonzi View Post
    Also a question for others who have been there before me... If I wanted to change the drive from the 270/280 Volvo to Mercruiser, is there an adapter plate on the market? Or must I fill in the transom?
    Henry
    The adapter plate cost more then a new transom and you have to do the work swapping the two anyway. 280T transom shield would give you trim and you could keep about everything you have now including the transom.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

Can you or someone tell me more about what a Vance is? I'd like to trace the origin some.

The folks at Donzi did not seem to think copies were made other than the Four Winns U boats. Naiive I guess...
    Henry
    the folks at Donzi now are not the same folks from the early years, they only go back to mid 1990's that when 4 wins made a 17 and 19 unlimited a donzi classic style boat.

if you use the search feature for thread titles with Vance in it you will find some info and also some pics

I would find the drive ratio( serial tag on top) then get the right prop and run the boat a 17 foot vance should run mid 50s with out much fuss with that power plant
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by f_inscreenname View Post
    The adapter plate cost more then a new transom and you have to do the work swapping the two anyway. 280T transom shield would give you trim and you could keep about everything you have now including the transom.
    Thanks, I'll research the 280T. Any favorite sellers?
    H

Thanks, I'll research the 280T. Any favorite sellers?
    H
    You have some research to do. They haven't made them in decades but you find them now and then on ebay. When you do its an easy swap.
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood

Lightbulb Progress update

Checked out the Ford engine, good compression and runs ok; several freeze plugs missing, so borrowing an engine hoist to get to them and replace to get a good in water test. If the engine proves to be okay, then will keep the combination I have now. I've not been able to locate a transom adapter for that series Volvo, and local fiberglass folks want a fortune to fill in the transom-- boat isn't worth it.

I've looked for Vance's via Google, and found a few pics that look like a Donzi X-!8, but none that look like the Classic (that I have). Perhaps it is a lesser known Splash.

Thanks again for your inputs, please keep them coming. My son and I will continue with the cosmetic restoration so it is more sellable.

Thanks
    H

If you plan on selling then just stick with what you have. Time, money and effort will never pay off in the long run.

in a boat of that size not having trim is not the end of the world you will find setting the trim in the center or the top will be fine. need a good prop
    solas, ultra, hill that handles the way you like that setup making north of 250 hp should push that boat with the right prop to mid 50s which will be a lively ride that close to the water without a windshield
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Now for a couple good things. First the rear seat looks removable. My old Monza's were like that and are a lot of help when doing major motor work. Second, one of my biggest complaints about the 18 donzi is that you seem to sit on top of the boat. Yours, you seem to sit down inside. That is a huge security feeling difference when you are blasting along.

18' Barrel Back

I had a 18' Barrel Back years ago. Never did know the actual year of the boat. But I know they only made them for a few years back in the 60's. Mine had original red hull, white stipe down the middle , windshield and a triple rear engine hatch. Does anyone know how many were produced and what year it was?

Thanks, Mark

Thread Information