Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Donzi paint

If hull sides would be ok, then it would be ok on the bottom also. The paint doesn't know where it's applied. Underwater is underwater.
    If the hull side paint isn't underwater at rest, then yes, I agree it would be ok. My boot stripe blistered because the previous owner left the boat in the water. Granted it wasn't Imron (I think it's PPG) and I don't know how long it was in the water for. Just giving an example that you have to be careful how far down the side of the boat you paint.

Now, when I as at the local boat show last year I talked to a shop selling Imron (I think) and he claimed it'd be fine for a couple months under water. I wouldn't try it, but he was pretty confident.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    If hull sides would be ok, then it would be ok on the bottom also. The paint doesn't know where it's applied. Underwater is underwater.
    If the hull side paint isn't underwater at rest, then yes, I agree it would be ok. My boot stripe blistered because the previous owner left the boat in the water. Granted it wasn't Imron (I think it's PPG) and I don't know how long it was in the water for. Just giving an example that you have to be careful how far down the side of the boat you paint.

Now, when I as at the local boat show last year I talked to a shop selling Imron (I think) and he claimed it'd be fine for a couple months under water. I wouldn't try it, but he was pretty confident.
    Not really. The hull is under more duress and more contamination builds up as well as being consistently submerged. That said, lots of guys paint hulls with the applicable paint, there are many. I would not hesitate to paint the hullsides at all with Imron or Awlgrip, it's what leading manufacturers do. Formula boats have been using it forever and most of the high end East Coast painters use it and most Yacht builders. It's actually more durable then gel in most cases (depending), especially color retention. It's not a problem, it's what it is made for.

Thread Information