Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Free Boating Magazines

I work in the Powersports Industry and the industry had "the show" in Indy for years.

Ehlert Publishing (Rider Magazine (motorcycle), Powerboat, and others) had an industry party and I was talking to one of their VP's, Dick Hendricks.

I asked Dick how one gets to go to a Powerboat Sea Trial shoot. His response was, just ask me.

After a few emails, my wife and I ended up attending the October 2006 Trial in Sarasota.

I was able to get a ride in a 42 foot (I think) Sunsation and the 43 foot Donzi ZR.

I spent the day watching the behind the scenes of a sea trial.

Other than a 115 MPH rip in the Donzi, I was amazed on how close to the boat the helicopter flies to take the photos. Maybe 30 feet above the boat for the overhead shots and for the head on shots, maybe 40 feet off the bow and 20 feet off the water.

The only words of advice from the staff before the day began was DO NOT LOOK AT THE HELICOPTER.

All in all it was a great day on the water.

The cover shot of the Donzi made the Jan 2007 issue and I am in the back seat drivers side.

Ken

Anybody got a scanner?...

Frank
    Triple Hatch.
    It's a classic Donzi, not a Donzi Classic.

I think that all changed soon after when Bob Teague speared a chopper and killed Newby and Copeland.

https://nppa.org/news/1620
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by penbroke View Post
    Anybody got a scanner?...
    Frank
    Doesn't quite fit in the scanner. Bob Teague is driving. Need another copy, Ken?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by CHACHI View Post
    I work in the Powersports Industry and the industry had "the show" in Indy for years.

Ehlert Publishing (Rider Magazine (motorcycle), Powerboat, and others) had an industry party and I was talking to one of their VP's, Dick Hendricks.

I asked Dick how one gets to go to a Powerboat Sea Trial shoot. His response was, just ask me.

After a few emails, my wife and I ended up attending the October 2006 Trial in Sarasota.

I was able to get a ride in a 42 foot (I think) Sunsation and the 43 foot Donzi ZR.

I spent the day watching the behind the scenes of a sea trial.

Other than a 115 MPH rip in the Donzi, I was amazed on how close to the boat the helicopter flies to take the photos. Maybe 30 feet above the boat for the overhead shots and for the head on shots, maybe 40 feet off the bow and 20 feet off the water.

The only words of advice from the staff before the day began was DO NOT LOOK AT THE HELICOPTER.

All in all it was a great day on the water.

The cover shot of the Donzi made the Jan 2007 issue and I am in the back seat drivers side.

Ken
    Cool!
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    Doesn't quite fit in the scanner. Bob Teague is driving. Need another copy, Ken?
    Carl,thanks for the offer, but I have 3 already.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by CHACHI View Post
    Carl,thanks for the offer, but I have 3 already.

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    Thanks Carl!!

Frank
    Triple Hatch.
    It's a classic Donzi, not a Donzi Classic.

If my memory serves me, the next month's (or two) issue has the new Sunsation (42 foot), I am in the shoot also.

Ken

Thread Information