Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wow! A wood deck Donzi 22 for sale... not mine

Quote Originally Posted by woobs View Post
    Yes, still does not look as nice as mahogany imho. ymmv.
    Agreed, mahogany's prettier.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    Years ago an old sailor told me that it was impossible to varnish teak with any lasting success. It's durability comes from the fact that it's a very oily wood and varnish , like any oil based paints , won't stick well to an oily surface.
    What a conundrum . Teak is beautiful stuff , especially if your lucky enough to get you hands on any of the now rare 'old stuff ' from ancient forests , but it does need regular sanding and oiling.
    Mind you , mahogany that's varnished doesn't last forever out in the elements either .

In both cases your best bet is to keep them covered and out of the sun and elements .
    Agreed, mine never sees sun unless I'm aboard. As for the varnish, I've heard the same from some sources, though I think it depends. New and/or well-oiled teak I'd expect would be hopeless. If it's had years without oiling I think it may be a different story.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Teak vs Mahog is like red vs yellow.....

They both look great on a Donzi!
    I loved the idea of building the deck the traditional way. Looks like a great idea to save some of those rotten old hulls we see for sale. The idea of screwing down onto a stable plywood base is great. Have read of some builders vacuum bagging wood strips down to a base using epoxy as adhesive. That might eliminate filling the screw holes w/ bungs. Never done it, left the business back in the chopper gun days...What I have done is sealed teak with epoxy, then coated with varnish. Looks great! The epoxy gives it a bright brown color without stain. 7 yrs later the varnish is just beginning to fail.
    But I cheated. The teak had been in the sun for 20 years so there was not much oil content....

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    the factory made a mid 2000s 22 with teak it was very nice but no wood on the deck it had teak floors and accent panels dash very classy but a PITA to keep up with
    This was one of the Nelems boats. It wasn't real teak, but synthetic. I have the same material on my Formua, and it requires very little care. Not sure anything wood-like, real or otherwise, belongs on a Classic. But that's an opinion.

Another one...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Like this too...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Thread Information