Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wow! A wood deck Donzi 22 for sale... not mine

Wow! A wood deck Donzi 22 for sale... not mine

About $38,200 USD... $51,200 CAD... For sale here:
    http://www.boat24.com/uk/Power+Boats...detail/256444/
    You don't see one of these every day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	256444-f6bcda940d70b27389838dbc0b1d0f4b-com.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	85457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	256444-dfaf987ade48657745444acd02596853-com.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	85458   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	256444-55acc0c97304525a02482629e95b640a-com.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	85459  
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Looks like Randy posted just before you did

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...-ji***d-myself!!!

Can't say I'm exactly mad about it but it goes to show that there's a lot of talent on the other side of the pond that's going unreported on this side .

Wish there was a good transom shot . The little bit of the outdrive that is visible looks 'different' .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Looks very much like vinyl wrap , dash and interior still in gel coat. and there doesn't seem to be a joint where the 'King' plank meets the top of transom, and the grain in the top of transom is running in the wrong direction, most boat builders would run the grain across the transom .....still...its different.

Yep, looks like Randy beat me... I was busy documenting

Quote Originally Posted by se7en View Post
    Looks very much like vinyl wrap , dash and interior still in gel coat. and there doesn't seem to be a joint where the 'King' plank meets the top of transom, and the grain in the top of transom is running in the wrong direction, most boat builders would run the grain across the transom .....still...its different.
    It's possible however, I don't think you could say conclusively without real "eyes on". This could also be a veneer and not 3/8 plank. In those two instances, it's just mad laminating skills. If plank... even more skills.

There does not have to be a visible joint i.e. you can see no joint in the J-Craft pics below yet, it's planked. You can see joints on the 22 at the bow, where the covering boards meet the king plank.
    As for the grain... well, that's just preference of the builder. My woody boat has the transom/aft deck grain orientation exactly the same as this 22.

Name:	Jcraft.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	85460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deck.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	85461  
    Sean Conroy,

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Stumbled into this one a few months back. Several things, including the relationship of the hatch edges to the inlay, suggest to me it may be a wrap. Or someone has some insane skills. Pretty to look at.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Have just got a reply from boat24.com , the people selling the boat, the deck is painted on... not real wood...!!

Quote Originally Posted by se7en View Post
    Have just got a reply from boat24.com , the people selling the boat, the deck is painted on... not real wood...!!
    I figured it had to be either a wrap or paint and paint is definitely preferred. I think it looks really nice.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I think it looks great. However, I wouldn't want it unless it was real wood.
    Sean Conroy,

the factory made a mid 2000s 22 with teak it was very nice but no wood on the deck it had teak floors and accent panels dash very classy but a PITA to keep up with
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    the factory made a mid 2000s 22 with teak it was very nice but no wood on the deck it had teak floors and accent panels dash very classy but a PITA to keep up with
    Not really a fan of teak... you need to keep it oiled. Mahogany is much nicer on a boat imho.
    Sean Conroy,

Quote Originally Posted by woobs View Post
    Not really a fan of teak... you need to keep it oiled. Mahogany is much nicer on a boat imho.
    yes we replaced the teak on the cig with mahogany it looked brand new 10 years later the teak 22 was new when I saw it I have not seen it in more than 10 years wonder how it looks today?

I did like the wood accents sorta like an old MG or triump with the wood dash and wood accents panels a nice touch

thinking about a wood deck 22 would the glass deck remain? or would it need to be removed I would also think careful attention to warping is needed on such a long nose

on the cig we used a wood/ machine bolt pre drilled into the backside of the mahogany set the wood screw part of the bolt then got under the deck to bolt it down no visible screws or plugs

before old teak after new mahogany

Name:	hatch.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	164.5 KB 
ID:	85474   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cigrun34.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	222.7 KB 
ID:	85475  
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by woobs View Post
    Teak can be varnished instead of oiled.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    ...thinking about a wood deck 22 would the glass deck remain? or would it need to be removed I would also think careful attention to warping is needed on such a long nose...
    I have given this plenty of thought (and done loads of research over the years). You could absolutely install a wood deck over the original glass deck. There are some compromises you would have to make to ensure the correct shape around things like the windscreen, hatch, gunwale detail, etc... probably have to use a thin veneer. Wood, but not like a real wood deck.

IF you removed the deck and used traditional methods to install a new wood deck it would work fine. There are plenty of long deck "woodies" that have no issue warping or losing their shape in any way. It would be very straightforward to make an exact wooden replica of the original deck if that's what you wanted.

One issue with traditional decks is they tend to crack at the caulked seams due to the expansion/contraction of the wood (see pic). Re-caulking might be necessary every 4-5 years depending in exposure to extreme temperatures. This issue has been solved with more modern techniques that first use a plywood base over the support matrix. An optional light layer of fiberglass (maybe 4oz) is put down next. Planks are then epoxied down held by screws. when dry, the screws are removed and the holes filled with wood bungs. This system stabilizes the planks and they no longer crack, the deck is very strong and still quite light.

You can see it here... http://www.trentsevernantiqueboats.com/deck.htm

Name:	Greavette Sunflash IV July 2013 031.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	85476   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wood deck.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	85477  
    Sean Conroy,

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Teak can be varnished instead of oiled.
    Yes, still does not look as nice as mahogany imho. ymmv.
    Sean Conroy,

Years ago an old sailor told me that it was impossible to varnish teak with any lasting success. It's durability comes from the fact that it's a very oily wood and varnish , like any oil based paints , won't stick well to an oily surface.
    What a conundrum . Teak is beautiful stuff , especially if your lucky enough to get you hands on any of the now rare 'old stuff ' from ancient forests , but it does need regular sanding and oiling.
    Mind you , mahogany that's varnished doesn't last forever out in the elements either .

In both cases your best bet is to keep them covered and out of the sun and elements .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Thread Information