Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Checking out a 1969 18 footer...advice needed!

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    It's entirely possible its not even a real Donzi. Could easily be a copy someone made....
    The more pictures of this boat I see, the more I agree with you!

BTW: Love the C-10.
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

It's entirely possible its not even a real Donzi. Could easily be a copy someone made.
    That certainly is another possibility .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

While you are searching watch out for some things (I'm sure others will add to this).

Number one to me is a gas tank problem. The tanks were steel and foamed in. Water in the gas eats these out from the inside. The repair requires splitting the deck from the hull.

Number two is the earlier boats had plycore tops that had balsa wood between the layers. The insides would get saturated with water.

Number three is water saturated stringers and/or stern where wood is part of the deal. Then, of course, there is all the stuff with the engine and stern drive.

Quote Originally Posted by DownByTheRiver View Post
    Wow! This is the most responsive forum I've ever seen. Thank you guys. Really takes a lot of the questions away from these old boats, especially for someone who's not too familiar with them.

Anyway, after reading all the replies here, and weighing the time/effort/money/space thing, I think I've decided to look for a more complete boat. I don't mind the work, but I'm put off by the missing interior, the cut decking and the "mods". I do dig the jet drive for its uniqueness, but I'm more familiar with the Bravo platform. So, that being said, I'll be in the market for a 60s barrelback. Don't mind doing paint/glass work, but I'd like it to be mostly original. I still want to pick up a project, that's ready for a Bravo and a SBC of some sort, because that'll lend itself well to an LS swap. If anyone's got one, let me know! I'll be purchasing in the next few weeks to months.

I went back to the boat today, and it was very apparent what was hacked up/changed. I loved the boat, but need something more complete. Here are a few examples of the butchering it received:
    Attachment 85441
    Attachment 85442

My current Donzi, more or less sponsored by aqua buff
    Attachment 85440
    Attachment 85443

Just reread what I posted. Man, am I in a pissy mood.

If you like the boat, go for it. There's a few on this site that like foolishly spending their money, may as well join the club. (Not me though...I'm much to level headed for that. )
    Yup, foolishly

LOL
    2000 28ZX Scorpion SOLD
    1979 Criterion
    1986 Z29

RED/WHITE
    TWIN SBC 330HP
    ALPHA 1'S
    Mcleod design Interior

It's a disease.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

But, it's still cheaper than therapy.
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Where is the boat? Maybe one of us has more drive then brains.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

Had to jump in on this one. Its clearly not a Donzi. Its some sort of clone. Not sure who the manufacture is but its definitely not a Donzi. If you really want to have a classic Donzi make sure it really is one so when you invest all the time and money into one it will truly be what it really is and hold it value somewhat.

With that being said I would keep looking for a nice 18 project. There are a lot of them out there and you can find great deals on them as well.

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Wow, so not even a real donzi? Good thing i passed

The boat is located in Jacksonville, FL if anyone is remotely interested.

Thank you for the tips on what to look for in a boat. Any other advice on major issues? Any specific years to look for? I do like the x18, but feel like I'll end up with a 60s 18.

for future reference if someone finds 16 to 18 foot donzi that the liner has been cut out of it is most likely a Vance
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information