Thread: How to get into a 16 from the water?

How to get into a 16 from the water?

I've barely used my Donzi so far because of end of season reasons but I am already day dreaming about what all I will be doing in it next summer.

I have seen a picture of one 16 that had a teak swim platform, but never seen any others with it. I searched thru posts on this forum and found one person mentioned adding a dive ladder but couldn't find much else about it.

So my question is, what do people do to get back in their boat, besides tie up to another boat or climb up the drive? And has anyone else done anything to make a 16 a little more friendly to hang out on the back of with everyone else at tie ups?

I just use a portable hook ladder - the idea of stepping up on the drive is too scary for me
    2009 Classic 16
    NW Tampa Bay

Exclamation

I have a folding ladder that fits on the side with the top wrapped over the side metal. The problem with that is the boat slants so you are not climbing straight up. Very awkward. So I gave up on that and found it easiest to climb up the stern drive. Rule #1 = Motor OFF

I thought that I would use the drive to climb out also but after seeing the pictures posted by JParanee of his Classic 18 with a tubular swim deck I think it's worth perusing for me.

I live and boat on a lake where getting in the water and hanging out with everyone is where I want to be. I have a second deck boat that is made for swimming and everything else, but it would be nice for the Donzi to have another trick in case I wanted to show up to the part in it.

Another possibility. When I visited Hornet Marine they showed me a finished boat with a hidden retractable ladder. It folds and pulls out of the transom. Very clean and unobtrusive installation. I didn't catch a brand name but if you want maintain your lines and don't want a ladder taking up what little space available in a 16, that is a solution.

John C
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford
    Windshields are for Sissies!!!

I browsed their website and couldn't find any pictures of it but it's an option on the build your own boat page. I have an idea of what it looks like and how it works, but I want to see one. I think it's a cool idea and I'm enjoying this discussion with you all.

Thanks for for all of your input and thoughtful ideas!!

Quote Originally Posted by 45171 View Post
    I browsed their website and couldn't find any pictures of it but it's an option on the build your own boat page. I have an idea of what it looks like and how it works, but I want to see one. I think it's a cool idea and I'm enjoying this discussion with you all.

Thanks for for all of your input and thoughtful ideas!!
    My Google fu is good today. Go here buddy: http://www.wholesalemarine.com/garel...om-ladder.html. This isn't the one installed by Hornet Marine but Garelick only sells those to OEM's and manufacturers.

Good luck, John C

IMG_0036.JPG
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford
    Windshields are for Sissies!!!

We just use a loop of rope through a piece of soft plastic ( PVC ) hose , afixed between the grab rail and stern cleat, can be adjusted to suit and easy to store.

ladder

Hi!
    Have a look at armstrong ladder, you could find the one you looking for. It s a bit expensive but really nice

I modified a Garlick (sic) ladder to fit my needs. I tip the scales 230+ and have no issues climbing into my 18. I stow ladder side of seat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information