Thread: Winterization anti freeze

Winterization anti freeze

I'm about to winterize my 2000 18 Classic. I have always drained the block and filled with anti freeze. These block drains are an absolute PITA to get to. Can I get away with just using the gravity feed plastic containers that feed the anti freeze into the block while it's running? I always do that anyway and then back fill from the thermostat area after I shut it down. The boat will sit outside covered in New England. Just trying to make things easier.

Thanks for any input.

Paul

I use the muffs with garden hose. Run engine until it heats up. Then I have the store bought kit that has a 5 gallon container "T'd" into the hose line. The container is full of antifreeze. I turn the valve to have the water stop and the antifreeze flow into the muffs. As the antifreeze goes into the engine I fog the carburetor. I check to make sure the antifreeze is coming out my exhausts. Once the 5 gallon container is about empty I shut the engine off. Done for the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by TBroccoli View Post
    I use the muffs with garden hose. Run engine until it heats up. Then I have the store bought kit that has a 5 gallon container "T'd" into the hose line. The container is full of antifreeze. I turn the valve to have the water stop and the antifreeze flow into the muffs. As the antifreeze goes into the engine I fog the carburetor. I check to make sure the antifreeze is coming out my exhausts. Once the 5 gallon container is about empty I shut the engine off. Done for the winter.
    Excellent. Thanks for the reply. That just makes it alot easier. Getting at those 8 block drains is almost impossible. Your method just makes alot of sense.

I drain block and exhaust manifolds to start

I use a 5 gal container with hose to earmuffs too, but...
    I start by draining the block from at least one side and draining the exhaust manifolds.
    Maybe I'm a bit paranoid but I don't trust that the remaining water in the block mixing with the antifreeze is enough protection.
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

Quote Originally Posted by Pat McPherson View Post
    I start by draining the block from at least one side and draining the exhaust manifolds.
    Maybe I'm a bit paranoid but I don't trust that the remaining water in the block mixing with the antifreeze is enough protection.
    The lower-temp stuff buys some cushion on that front, but it's spendy...
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Pat McPherson View Post
    Pat, That's the way I've always done it but it's a PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    The lower-temp stuff buys some cushion on that front, but it's spendy...
    Ghost, I'll be using the minus 50 anti freeze.

With a tstat i would setup a pump and bin to catch and repump anti freeze. Until operating temp
    Without a tstat i drain and the refill with anti freeze
    I have done both but in either case i drain again. I dont trust any liquid
    A biggy is make sure you run a wire or awl thru the drain holes to clear gunk and make sure there are no pockets of water behind the gunk
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    With a tstat i would setup a pump and bin to catch and repump anti freeze. Until operating temp
    Without a tstat i drain and the refill with anti freeze
    I have done both but in either case i drain again. I dont trust any liquid
    A biggy is make sure you run a wire or awl thru the drain holes to clear gunk and make sure there are no pockets of water behind the gunk
    Well, I finished the boat yesterday. Ran it until the thermostat opened with water, then switched the T over to anti freeze. Ran 5 gallons of -50 into it. It was running out the pipes solid pink. I fogged it as it ran out of anti freeze and shut it down. I did not drain from the plugs under the block. I'm in pretty good shape for 63, but my days of pulling those plugs and running a wire through the holes is over. I hope this works.

Thanks for all the advice.

Like an old guy from Alaska told me one day about winterizing, air don't freeze.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

Install a closed cooling system on it. I did with mine, now I just
    drain the ex. Manifolds an pull the hose on the sea water pump
    an also drain the fuel pump. It's still some work no matter how
    u spell it out. I'm pulling the drive an rebuilding
    the gimbal this year. Hose's boots's and bearings
    FISH HARD

Thread Information