Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1996 22' Donzi Classic Front Buckets

My 04 also has poly seats. Not sure when they changed over.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat McPherson View Post
    Your boat is also free of wood construction too, right?
    It appears to be except the deck and cockpit are balsa cored. Hull is solid. Transom is a composite and stringers appear to be also.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

As an fyi: Carl's is an 05 and mine is an 04. My build is the same as Carl's, with the exception of the stringers. I have plywood stringers.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Go another year with original or buy new?

So last night my best boating bud and I stared at and sat in my original seats.
    I cleaned the seat up the best I could and asked for his opinion. I've not ever had the interior of a boat or car redone but he has. Conclusion was that the best choice would be to have new 24" high buckets made but that is not really a choice as the cost is prohibitive.
    Comes down to replacing with the new standard 20" high buckets or just using what I've got.
    The original seats show a little wear and but no rips so...
    Leaning towards buying the new buckets seats this year and buying the new rear seat pieces next year.
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

Check for a local marine upholsterer

Pat, I found someone local that is recovering my front seats and making new rear cushions for half of what PPI is and 1/3 of Donzi Direct. They are using a high grade marine vinyl and are sewing the pleats the same as the original. He is also replacing the 20 year old wood bases. I've seen his work and I trust that it will come out well. There may be someone locally that can recover your seats. It's an option to buying new that are a different height.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

I just had these done by ABC upholstery in San Jose. She did all of the interior for me so I don't know what these two cost me directly, but all of the interior was less than 2000.

I think that the seats look great.
    20161111_090313.jpg

Best,
    Matt P.

I forgot to mention that I was also given a 2 year warranty.

Best,
    Matt P.

Thank you all for the input

I scrubbed and treated with vinyl protectant all of my interior over the weekend. I've decided it's good to go for another year at least. I also received new swivels/mounts for the front buckets; those were shot...
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

I couldn't be more pleased with my seats. It took a while to get them but well worth it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FISH HARD

Your Seat Person

Quote Originally Posted by chip w View Post
    Pat, I found someone local that is recovering my front seats and making new rear cushions for half of what PPI is and 1/3 of Donzi Direct. They are using a high grade marine vinyl and are sewing the pleats the same as the original. He is also replacing the 20 year old wood bases. I've seen his work and I trust that it will come out well. There may be someone locally that can recover your seats. It's an option to buying new that are a different height.
    Hi Chip,
    Would you mind indicating the area you live in. I somehow feel you are in Central Florida which is where I am. If we are somewhat close to each other I sure would be interested in talking with your seat person.
    A question about your dog: Is that a picture of a Blue Weimaraner? We just lost ours of 14 years.
    Thanks, Deejay

Tampa

Deejay,

I'm over in Tampa. The shop is in New Port Richey and is Tampa Bay Canvas and Upholstery. Call Kevin at 813-507-3039. I haven't done mine yet as a little issue with a bad head has taken my in a different direction for the time being.

The black dog is a pure black dachshund. We get asked what kind of dog he is and I usually tell people he's a miniature lab just for fun. He's a bit strong willed and stubborn. That's the polite way to say he can be an A-hole but he's a great dog to have around overall. I'd love it if he'd go on the boat with me but it's not his thing. Really sorry to hear about your dog. For us they're family members and loosing one always hurts. My sympathies.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

The wood is so easy to change, I wouldn't hesitate to do it.
    Plywood is so much cheaper and easier to use than a lot of dense plastics,
    like HDPE (Starboard). I don't think I'd recommend PVC board. It's easier
    to use but doesn't have the same structural strength as HDPE, and won't
    hold screws as well.
    If you use plywood, be sure and seal the perimeter w/a penetrating epoxy,
    like System Three Clearcoat.
    Another thing, when re-stapling the upholstery material to the reinforcement
    material, use Monel and not stainless staples as the stainless staples will
    eventually rust and Monel won't. Monel staples are available on Amazon.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by chip w View Post
    Deejay,

I'm over in Tampa. The shop is in New Port Richey and is Tampa Bay Canvas and Upholstery. Call Kevin at 813-507-3039. I haven't done mine yet as a little issue with a bad head has taken my in a different direction for the time being.

The black dog is a pure black dachshund. We get asked what kind of dog he is and I usually tell people he's a miniature lab just for fun. He's a bit strong willed and stubborn. That's the polite way to say he can be an A-hole but he's a great dog to have around overall. I'd love it if he'd go on the boat with me but it's not his thing. Really sorry to hear about your dog. For us they're family members and loosing one always hurts. My sympathies.
    Thanks Chip for the response and info. I will let you know how this upholstery adventure works out and I hope you will do the same. I also hope the bad head is not your own head! What a surprise to hear your dog is dachshund and all black no less! I was sure he was a blue W. You sure are correct about them being family.
    Deejay

Thread Information