Thread: Minx Interior

Minx Interior

I am planning to purchase a new interior for my 1988 Minx. After looking at old posts, I am confused with the best route to purchase. Should I go direct to PPI or to Donzi Direct? I am under the impression that either way it would be made by PPI. Had they been making the oem interiors for Donzi and if so for how long? Who has personal experience going either route? It looks like I will be spending over $3k, so I want to go with the best.

If you can find a local upholsterer who specializes in hot rods,
    you can probably save some money. There's really no need to
    buy new seat shells, for instance.
    The Classic pleated upholstery is expensive to duplicate, but
    it'll still probably come in well under the other sources.
    Besides, doing it locally gives you more control.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I am not sure who PPI uses as a vinyl supplier but be aware that all vinyl isn't created equal. Having a local person do the job will save some money but make sure you are getting the same weight and quality of vinyl
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

I'm looking at new or recovering my buckets also

I have related questions and will start my own thread.
    I'm having a local quote to bump against Donzi direct.
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

FWIW, I was told by John Harmon (original Bilt Rite)that when a seat back cushion for the rear bench is properly made, it should stand on it's own because of the curve of the back cushion.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
    I am not sure who PPI uses as a vinyl supplier but be aware that all vinyl isn't created equal. Having a local person do the job will save some money but make sure you are getting the same weight and quality of vinyl
    John brings up an important point. If you do use local talent, you have a lot more say (and selection) in every part of the process.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Nothing is ever simple. I got a few quotes today and the pricing is substantially less than Donzi Direct, but I will be concerned about the end product. I definitely want the exact oem look and have seen a lot of examples of less than perfect Donzi classic interiors. For me there is nothing worse than this style interior poorly done.

Quote Originally Posted by bgagne View Post
    Nothing is ever simple. I got a few quotes today and the pricing is substantially less than Donzi Direct, but I will be concerned about the end product. I definitely want the exact oem look and have seen a lot of examples of less than perfect Donzi classic interiors. For me there is nothing worse than this style interior poorly done.

I've done a few total restos that required entire interiors and never have I gone to any factory to purchase already made stuff.
    If you use someone who does all types of marine work including sails you should end up with something that makes you very happy.

If you're concerned about what you're getting into ask the companies that you've contacted if they have a portfolio of their work .
    The person I last used for the Magnum and the St T took extensive photos of the finished product to include in their portfolio and I've seen other upholstery shops that do the same .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Thread Information