Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How long should my garage be?

How long should my garage be?

This winter I will be adding a garage to put my Classic in. This started out as a car port next to my garage for our 18 Classic and then we decided to just make it a closed garage. I'm limited on how deep it can be. That's a drawback of living on a postage stamp. While we have an 18 now we will be moving up to a 22. I'm not sure when but sooner or later it will happen. So, I need an idea of how long from the front of the trailer to the back of the prop. I want to make sure that I can get it in and close the door. I'd rather avoid that knot in my stomach when I tell my wife "sure it will fit" and then not be able to get the door closed.

Any help is appreciated!

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

Curious to hear real answers also, though I think it will differ based on each trailer. My guess is the typical trailer will yield about 28 feet overall, with the drive down. Such that 30' would be tight but do-able.

Also, some folks have folding trailers, which I think would save about 2-3 feet.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Also, some folks have folding trailers, which I think would save about 2-3 feet.
    That's my worst case, a folding trailer. I have somewhere around 30' outside dimension to work with. Inside will be somewhat smaller and the door has to be able to close. I'll wire it and build it for a window shaker AC system so that I can work in there during the FL summers. But if I can get it in without a folding trailer I would prefer that.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold

Approx 30' will do it. The section of my shop behind the offices is about 25'
    and I can get it in at about a 25*-30* angle w/the drive extended and the
    prop installed.
    A folding tongue, lowering the drive, and/or removing the prop will save a lot of room.
    You'll love having it inside.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I laid a tape down under the center of my boat from the trailer coupler to the prop with the drive all the way up...28'4". I have a Hustler trailer that does not fold.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have 25' of clear interior depth and my 16 just makes it. You will absolutely want a properly installed fold-away tongue no matter which way you go as it gives you shin saving options.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

I have a 22 with a MYCO steel trailer. My garage is 30' deep and it fits with the drive down. It is tight though...

Undertaker....

Quote Originally Posted by SKnies View Post
    I laid a tape down under the center of my boat from the trailer coupler to the prop with the drive all the way up...28'4". I have a Hustler trailer that does not fold.
    Nice garage!
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Thanks!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the info. In the end I'll have between 28 & 29', so it'll be close but it can be done. My 16 fit into the existing garage that is 22'. Like George, it was at a 25 to 30 degree angle. I won't have the room to do that in this garage so having the depth is key.

SKnies - nice garage! two boats and your truck? Awesome!

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold

Another option. I built this real fast without pulling permits ...

Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I built my garage too short.

Boat IMG_1417.jpgWe could only fit 26' within the budget when we built our garage. Even angling I've got no shot at fitting my boat in while on the trailer.
    I think you'll need 30' for a 22' Donzi to fit without pulling the drive and or having a folding trailer.
    My plan is to build a 26' x 12' lean to off one side for the boat. Start clearing trees on Friday...
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

Quote Originally Posted by Pat McPherson View Post
    Boat IMG_1417.jpgWe could only fit 26' within the budget when we built our garage. Even angling I've got no shot at fitting my boat in while on the trailer.
    I think you'll need 30' for a 22' Donzi to fit without pulling the drive and or having a folding trailer.
    My plan is to build a 26' x 12' lean to off one side for the boat. Start clearing trees on Friday...
    I have an 18 that would fit in your garage. Same colors and year as your 22. Not sure that it's as nice as yours but it runs like a wrist watch.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    Another option. I built this real fast without pulling permits ...
    Carl, I like what you did. I think my wife would be pissed off if I do that as it will go right into her paino room. Probably not a good move. I could go another foot towards the front but that will make it stick out beyond the existing building. If the architect suggests that it may fly as he's a friend of my wife and well respected. If I suggest it I'll get one of those looks that could kill a frog from 50 feet.

I've got to measure it again tonight and see where I'm at.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold

Quote Originally Posted by chip w View Post
    Carl, I like what you did. I think my wife would be pissed off if I do that as it will go right into her paino room. Probably not a good move. I could go another foot towards the front but that will make it stick out beyond the existing building. If the architect suggests that it may fly as he's a friend of my wife and well respected. If I suggest it I'll get one of those looks that could kill a frog from 50 feet.

I've got to measure it again tonight and see where I'm at.
    The boat's more important than her piano ...
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    The boat's more important than her piano ...
    ERNNNT! Wrong answer! LOL
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Thread Information