Thread: Need help: '92 Sweet 16 interior panel removal

Need help: '92 Sweet 16 interior panel removal

Does anyone here know how to remove the panel in the pic below? There are no screw covers or any other visible clues how to remove it. TIA, John C

image.jpeg
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford
    Windshields are for Sissies!!!

Sorry, I don't.

It'd be incredibly clever/sneaky if the bottom had a lip that went over the bottom side of the glass, and the top had a bracket that those 3 snaps' screws went into from above. I'd bet a huge amount that's not the case, but just thinking out loud about the puzzle.

Is there no way to stick a cell phone into the side cavity from the "cabin" and/or the motorbox, to get an idea? Maybe taped to a stick, shooting video?
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Is there no way to stick a cell phone into the side cavity? Maybe taped to a stick, shooting a video?
    If someone is going to go to that much trouble Mike, I certainly hope they find a better use for it than the inside of a hullside ... jus'say'in

It is probably like the shifters put on when the deck and hull were separate it must be back bolted or clipped. The other thought would be a racheted stud on the panel and the panel was pushed into place and the stud locks into the pilot hole either way it needs to be released from the back side
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Sorry, I don't.

It'd be incredibly clever/sneaky if the bottom had a lip that went over the bottom side of the glass, and the top had a bracket that those 3 snaps' screws went into from above. I'd bet a huge amount that's not the case, but just thinking out loud about the puzzle.

Is there no way to stick a cell phone into the side cavity from the "cabin" and/or the motorbox, to get an idea? Maybe taped to a stick, shooting video?
    I'll give it a try Mike. If I drop my iPhone in the hole, I'll be sending you a bill for a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    If someone is going to go to that much trouble Mike, I certainly hope they find a better use for it than the inside of a hullside ... jus'say'in
    I think one of us has their mind in the gutter

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    It is probably like the shifters put on when the deck and hull were separate it must be back bolted or clipped. The other thought would be a racheted stud on the panel and the panel was pushed into place and the stud locks into the pilot hole either way it needs to be released from the back side
    I tried to get a thin flat shim between the hull and the panel. No way, it's very tightly secured. If the shifter cables ever need changed or I replace the entire mechanism I'm in trouble.

John C
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford
    Windshields are for Sissies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John C in PA View Post
    Does anyone here know how to remove the panel in the pic below? There are no screw covers or any other visible clues how to remove it. TIA, John C
    John, take your cell phone and scrunch your arm behind the gunnel and take photos of the back side or even video. You will be able to see what is holding it on and develop a plan. Why do you need to mess with it?
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Quote Originally Posted by John C in PA View Post
    I'll give it a try Mike. If I drop my iPhone in the hole, I'll be sending you a bill for a replacement.

I think one of us has their mind in the gutter

I tried to get a thin flat shim between the hull and the panel. No way, it's very tightly secured. If the shifter cables ever need changed or I replace the entire mechanism I'm in trouble.

John C
    you need to get your arm up by the shifter from the front or have someone with long skinny arms try to get there from the back . It may pay to remove that switch panel and feel around I would think there should be two anchor points on the sides of the padded panel to keep it from flopping around when the switches are operated

you may need to borrow one of those flexible scope cameras

on a side note I have seen a slim young guy shimmy into the bilge of a 16 next to a 351w if the engine is out you may be able to get a better vantage

but I would not be surprised though if they use some kind of adhesive and always remember the factory only put them together with no thought of ever taking them apart
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information