Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 502 to LS3

Things are moving slowly. Doing bits and pieces.

Serpentine setup is basically finished. Just need to get a slightly smaller belt, and waiting on my new spacers before I fully bolt down the S/C bracket. I had to slightly modify my tensioner bracket because it was hitting the P/S pump pulley. Not a big deal; just had to cut it down from a 3-hole mount to 2

Serpentine Setup.jpg

Here's a pic of the finished coil relocation setup and alternator bracket. .....well it may not actually be completely finished. I was looking online for a starter and realized the coil bracket is going to hit the starter solenoid. I'm hoping I'll only have to space it out a bit to clear.

CoilBracket.jpg

When you have to custom make everything, there seems to be an endless cycle of pieces not fitting; even when you're positive you have everything worked out.
    Even the bolts gave me a problem. I countersunk the bolt holes in the alternator bracket, so I could "sink" the heads of the allen bolts. Then when I buy new bolts, the heads are larger than the bolts I've purchased in the past. Had to grind down the heads of 7 S/S bolts. Took a lot longer than expected and did a pretty good job of wearing down my grinding wheel.

Bolts.jpg
    Why is faster never fast enough.

I had planned to use the reservoir below for my PS pump but now I'm not sure. I got it when I purchased my steering setup (years ago) from CP Performance, but never put it into use. I was looking inside and I think they built it incorrectly. There is a baffle inside that runs diagonally from top to bottom. I believe its purpose should be to help reduce foaming of the fluid as it enters the tank. The way it's built, both the inlet and outlet are on the same side of the baffle. I think they should be on opposite sides. That allows the fluid entering the tank to "settle down" prior to the pump drawing the fluid out.
    Maybe I'm over-analyzing....

PS resevour.jpg

I started making the fuel lines for the motor. I'm feeding the two fuel rails individually (from the front). Most setups I see run the rails in series. That's the way the Holley instructions show. I know a series setup would work, but I'd always have that 0.001% of concern that the last injector could run dry and lean out that cylinder. So for an extra couple feet of line, why not be super-safe.
    Made a small bracket to mount the Y-block to the back of the head. Will have a -10 going in and -6 feeding each rail and a -6 return.
    Need to order two 30deg fittings in order to finish it off.

Fuel lines.jpg Fuel YBlock.jpg

Discovered (the hard way) that you can't set the rocker arm bolts on the head if you remove them. The LS3 has some significant sized oil drain holes that I wasn't paying attention to when I was reinstalling the rocker arms. Put the 2" long bolt down on the head and heard "tink". Uh-oh. Dropped down to the lifter. Took a while, but I was just barely able to grab it with my flexible tongs and pull it out. Otherwise, I would have had to pull the head.

Oil Drain.jpg

Another one of the projects for this engine is to convert the Drive By Wire throttle body to cable. Yes, I could buy a cable TB, but where's the fun in that?

So I removed the motor and put it in the "for sale" pile; removed the butterfly and knocked the shaft out. Just to make things interesting, I broke the return-spring tab.

TB.jpg TB3.jpg TB Shaft.jpg

I was able to bend the spring end and fit it into the same spot as the idle spring.

TB Spring.jpg TB Shaft2.jpg

I then drilled and tapped the end of the shaft, so I can screw a shaft extension on. I still need to make an extension and I'll probably end up welding it in place, but screwing the two together will make welding a lot easier. I also need to make a cover plate to replace the (removed) motor and then pick up and install a throttle position sensor. The shaft for the TBS is already there and is long enough to protrude past the cover plate.

TB4.jpg TB5.jpg TB6.jpg

I had decided to polish the supercharger, so I broke it down to make it easier to work with. I didn't get too far and I'm not sure I'll continue. The casting is fairly rough and it'll take hours and hours to get it done. I put it aside for now and might chip away at it...or I might get impatient and paint it.
    But in case you've ever wondered, here's what the inside of a procharger looks like. Just a set of 4:1 step-up gears and an impeller. The thin disc which looks like the middle sized gear in the pic is just an oil slinger.

SC1.jpg SC2.jpg

find someone with a walnut shell tumbler
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

yeller, it looks great so far! Keep it up, you're getting down to the short hairs.

It was 70 here today. I'd be thinking about bolting the blower up as-is and polishing that sucker next winter!
    "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Inside look

Hey Glen, thanks for the shop tour today. Beautiful 22, your rigging and all the custom fab. work is impressive! Way beyond what i would tackle. Let me know if you ever need an extra pair of hands - I'm usually in the area mid week and happy to help.
    We the Willing, led by the Unknowing, and paid by the Uncaring
    Have been doing so much, with so little, for so long
    We are now qualified to do Anything, with Nothing at all
    (Tuk U - McKinnley Bay '82)

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    find someone with a walnut shell tumbler
    Thanks for the suggestion. No doubt that would work, but I'm not really looking to spend any money on cleaning up the SC. If I can find the time to polish it up a bit, I will. Otherwise I'll just paint it.

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter View Post
    yeller, it looks great so far! Keep it up, you're getting down to the short hairs.

It was 70 here today. I'd be thinking about bolting the blower up as-is and polishing that sucker next winter!
    Looks like it's getting close, but I still have to make a wiring harness, find an ECU and learn how to tune, relocate the tabs, replace the bulkhead/firewall, replumb the closed cooling system, smooth out the bilge and paint it, and on, and on, and............

Quote Originally Posted by FarPoint View Post
    Hey Glen, thanks for the shop tour today. Beautiful 22, your rigging and all the custom fab. work is impressive! Way beyond what i would tackle. Let me know if you ever need an extra pair of hands - I'm usually in the area mid week and happy to help.
    Glad you could stop by. I think you just pretend to be impressed. Anyone that's been racing most of their life and cruises the water in a 150mph skater, probably knows a thing or two about boats..

I am impressed. Hanging on to the wheel is one thing - You're actually designing and building all this on your own. Outta my league.

And -the Skater aint that fast!

Don't forget - i hope you're available when I get my 22 out for 1st run. I will definitely need your help and experience.
    We the Willing, led by the Unknowing, and paid by the Uncaring
    Have been doing so much, with so little, for so long
    We are now qualified to do Anything, with Nothing at all
    (Tuk U - McKinnley Bay '82)

+1, some amazing folks here with amazing skills.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Thanks guys, but I don't post a lot of my "mistakes". For every success I post a picture of, there is probably 3 or 4 failures lying at my feet.

I just like to be able to tell people "I made that", instead of "I bought that", even though it would often be cheaper if I would have just clicked the Buy button.

I was looking over all that I had left to do and came to the conclusion that I should listen to others and just get the damn boat in the water. It's still going to take me a while to finish off the necessities, but I decided to forgo the tab relocation and general cleaning and reorganizing of the bilge equipment.
    It's going to take long enough to simply finish the wiring harness, ecu, and learn to tune the efi, but hopefully with the reduced workload I can drop it in the water sometime in April.
    I can always pull the motor next winter to redo the tabs and bilge. I had earmarked next winter for a complete interior replacement, so we'll see how that goes. I have plans to update the interior in a way that the purists won't like.............but that's for your next winter's reading enjoyment.

I still don't know exactly which ecu I'm going to use, but I have to make up my mind pretty quick. I originally planned on the Megasquirt, but as time went on I started to lean towards the Holley, because of its reputation for being easier to tune. The Megasquirt has price on its side (provided you buy the build-it-yourself kit), but the Holley should have a shorter learning curve. I was about to buy a Holley and then I found out you have to use a Holley O2 sensor, and they cost $220. It's also only a LSU4.2 sensor, which the auto industry stopped using many years ago. I can overlook using the inferior sensor, but the cost is tough to swallow. The Megasquirt can use the newer LSU4.9 sensor and those can be had for under $100. I need 2 to start and it is quite possible I could kill a couple of them, because O2 sensors do not like water. It could get very expensive buying the Holley sensors. What to do....what to do...

On Sunday a stopped by the shop and knocked out the throttle body cover plate, that was needed due to the removal of the DBW motor.
    Also made the mounting bracket for the PS pump reservoir. The CP Performance reservior I posted a pic of earlier just looked too bulky on the motor, so I ended up using the stock 496 tank

TB plate.jpg PS bracket.jpg

Finally made a decision on a computer. Decided to go with a Megasquirt. Of course, I always like to add to my workload whenever possible so I ordered the kit form. Will start with assembly tomorrow. Wife has gone to India for 3 weeks, so I'm hoping to get a bunch of work done while she's gone.

In the end, I couldn't justify an extra $900 to get into the Holley. I'm into the MS for about $650 and as odd it may sound, I really like the idea of building it myself. For the longest time, I was concerned about finding a tuner, but when I really started to think about it....AFR's are what they are. The needed AFR's aren't going to change based on the system I'm using and if a tuner is halfway decent, he should be able to tune any system. Hopefully I'll be able to set up all the initial parameters and get the motor running; then I'll get it on a dyno to dial it in better. After that, I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll learn enough to play with the settings myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The one thing I really do not like about the MS is the connectors. Crappy, old, outdated DB37 connectors.

The take-off wiring harness I purchased was complete with the factory GM ECU 73 pin and 80 pin connectors. The pins were easily removable so I looked around and found the matching 80 pin header and connector pins. I plan on ditching the two DB37's and using the header I bought on the MS enclosure instead. The coil of pins are for the stock GM connector. I'll have to make some modifications to the MS enclosure...or make a new one, but I think this setup will be a lot better. I'm hoping I can end up making the entire enclosure waterproof; or at least water resistant.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I still need to purchase a couple O2 sensors and controllers, as well as set of injectors. I keep checking the LS and Corvette forums hoping to snag a deal on the injectors. I'm leaving those to the very end in case a deal pops up. I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering the O2 sensors and controllers early next week. As it sits right now, the O2 controllers will be the raw board and components, so I can integrate them into the same ECU enclosure.

The final big item is still the exhaust manifolds. Five months later and I still haven't been able to get a replacement set. At this point, I 75% believe Marine Power will come through. They still always answer my emails, but they say they don't have any themselves, because their casting company is back-ordered. The latest is Marine Power will be taking a deliver at the end of this month or early next month; then they have to machine them. I've been told they have a bunch of motors sitting to go out that need the manifolds, so if what they are saying is true; I'm hopeful they'll save a set for me. In my opinion, (and of course I'm biased) I should be their number one priority. They didn't even know they had an issue until I brought it to their attention. If I hadn't said anything, they would have sent out a bunch of bad manifolds to other motor companies (like Michigan Marine), as well as delivered their own motors...all with bad manifolds. That could have ended up being a nightmare for them. I've been extremely patient, but I admit, it's running pretty thin. I'll be contacting them again at the end of the month and we'll see what they say.

Thread Information