Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: 502 to LS3

And some good news......we just bought a lot and will be building a new house.....and more importantly, a GARAGE! We've been renting since we moved in 09 for our business. It will be nice to have our own place again. My wife is super excited about having a new home. I guess a new home is ok......but I'm super excited to have my own garage. Does that make me a redneck? Not enough room to build the shop I really want, but it will be deep enough to hold the boat.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Who cares where you live, You need to finish that boat!

p.s. congrats on the new place!

Glen, you just love keeping balloons in the air.....

Congrats on the house.

Cool beans on the house and especially the garage. I have the same issue about not enough space for the shop I want, but we are breaking ground in the next few weeks to expand our existing garage. When finished I'll have 32'8" in depth, 22' wide with a small work area of 8' x 10' off the side for the bench, cabinets and tools. Small but better than nothing. So getting a garage big enough to hold your boat is awesome! Congrats!!

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

Congrats--a garage that fits the boat is awesome.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Thanks for the congrats guys.

....and Ken, yes I do tend to keep busy. I'm actually pretty lazy, but I just can't seem to relax. Makes sense doesn't it?
    Must be because I'm a Gemini. Twin personalities....

Was reading through my own thread to remind myself what I've done so far. Yes, my memory is getting that bad.

I noticed a couple things that I'd like to correct. Not really important info, but wanted to correct anyways.

Originally I said I was going to upgrade the rocker trunnions because they have been identified as a weak link. I decided not to bother, because I figure most failures have probably been due to guys adding bigger cams, stronger spring pressures, and revving higher. I'm keeping it all stock and won't be revving anywhere near the 6600rpm redline.

At one point I said that you don't have to remove the intake to remove the cam, but you do have to remove the heads. Not sure what I was thinking when I said that. Neither intake or heads have to be removed to pull out the cam. You just have to release the spring pressure and rotate the cam 360deg. The lifter baskets will hold the lifters up, out of the way and the cam can come straight out.

That's it. Like I said, not important......but now I can finally sleep good.

I had almost forgot that I didn't have a PS pump. Actually, I had forgot.......I just recently remembered.

I didn't want to use the Saginaw that was on the 502, because I couldn't mount it where I wanted to, due to it's size. The TC size pumps are smaller and would go where I wanted. Just didn't know which one to buy. So off to the wrecker to look over the different vehicles and ended up with a pump from a 2002-2008 Chev Trailblazer. I'm not really overly concerned whether the pump is any good or not, although I suspect it is. The wrecker was just the best/cheapest way to find out what I can make work. $30 for the pump/pulley/reservoir as well as a couple needed idler pulleys and mounting bushings.
    I thought I was going to be able to use the reservoir. That is why I picked this particular pump, but turns out it wouldn't fit where I wanted to mount the pump. Not too big of a deal. My back up plan was to use a remote reservoir anyways.

PS pump.jpg Pulleys.jpg

I made a PS pump bracket out of 3/4" aluminum and welded up a new mounting bracket for the belt tension that I had previously used on the 502. I cut down the mounting bosses on the water pump for the belt tensioner and I got lucky and pulley alignment worked out perfect first try. The tensioner isn't mounted in the pic, but the belt shows the path it will take

Water pump.jpg Pulley setup.jpg

In order to mount the belt tensioner for the S/C, I need to mill a 3" spot on the S/C mount. So I set up my "milling machine" and went to work. It requires some serious manhandling of the metal...but it works. Just pretty slowly.

Mill work.jpg

I'll get some pics of the PS mount and tension later this week.

Now that I had all the pulleys and parts to complete the serpentine belt setup, I discovered I am going to have to get a new spacer made for the crank S/C pulley. I forgot I needed to add an idler on the right side of the motor, because of the reverse rotation water pump, so I didn't set up the S/C mount to accomodate that. I ended up having to space the S/C mount 1/4" further forward to allow clearance for the idler pulley. Initially I thought I could simple space the S/C 1/4" off the mount to compensate, but I can't make the S/C belt tensioner work if I do. I could source a different tensioner, but it'll probably be easier just to get a new spacer made 1/4" longer.
    The aluminum round stock is about $10/inch. Glad I only need 5" and not a few feet.

Good to see that you are getting things done!
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

You'll like the Type II P/S pump. I used the original Hynautic reservoir and put about 5 PSI
    of air pressure in it.
    My steering system is the most reliable system on the boat. I never think about it.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Not sure I fully understand George. Is that normal to add air pressure to the Hynautic reservoir?

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    Not sure I fully understand George. Is that normal to add air pressure to the Hynautic reservoir?
    My Hynautic system is far from brand new but it does need to be pressurized once it's all set up . I can't recall the pressure needed but there's a psi gauge on top of the reservoir that needs to be monitored . I keep a small bicycle tyre pump on board all the time as part of the basic tool kit .

I seem to recall that a few years after I had mine put in Teleflex came out with a similar non high performance system that had no reservoir nor did it need pressurizing .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    Glen, you may remember Carl tried to use a Type II pump
    w/o a reservoir and found he couldn't run in rough water w/o one due to entrained air.
    After adding one, he still had occasional problems but it was better.
    In my case, the Hynautic reservoir is quite large and holds about
    4-5 pints and have a positive pressure on top of the fluid. This was necessary w/the original Hynautic system which wasn't boosted and had a 25# charge to make sure the system was always charged.
    I'm keeping the reservoir about 1/4 full and about 5 PSI air charge which keeps fluid in the suction side of the system air free.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Thanks for the explanation guys.
    George, I'd think the air pressure would also help in preventing the fluid from aerating as it enters the reservoir from the high pressure side...or maybe that's what you where trying to tell me.

I had a TC pump on the 496, so I know it'll work for me. I just couldn't use that one because the inlet/outlet were 180deg from where I needed them.

Thread Information