Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 502 to LS3

Ready for gapping the rings. (Hopefully next weekend). Always too cheap to buy the right tool for the job, I put my angle drill in bondage to make my own ring grinder.

The nylon rings that are screwed to the base, hold the ring square to the grinding wheel and the high-end lamp helps me make sure it is. I also bought a 6 x's magnifying glass that I'll use to make 100% sure the ends are ground square.
    Currently the top rings are gapped 0.012 and the 2nd rings are 0.014. I plan to open them up another 0.010.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Lsx 454

Glen, this post has nothing to do with your project.
    But I wish someone would build one of these as a
    NA marine engine.
    They're not cheap, and they have an iron block,
    they'd require different forged pistons w/a lower C/R,
    oil pump, water pump, pan, intake manifold, carb,
    ignition controller, cam, and etc!!!!
    But it looks to me like a great package w/lots of
    torque in a small package!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I agree George. I'd like to see one of those in a boat too.
    If money was no object, I'd be buying this:
    http://www.racingheadservice.com/rhs...-165-borehtml/

Could make an all aluminum 500ci monster.

I also think the new LT4 has to be one of the best deals out there for a street rod. 650hp from an OEM with warranty and under $16k.
    http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...gines/lt4.html

It's pretty amazing the power the manufacturers are selling these days. I remember when you were the king with 350hp.

How about one of these?

Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

Almost same power as my 502

Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    I agree George. I'd like to see one of those in a boat too.
    If money was no object, I'd be buying this:
    http://www.racingheadservice.com/rhs...-165-borehtml/

Could make an all aluminum 500ci monster.
    Ya know, I paid about 45% of that number for my iron Dart block..........of course, that's just the starting point.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Had some parts come in!

Exhaust manifolds, head bolts, damper bolt, and LS9 7 layer head gaskets.

Getting the head bolts and gaskets meant I could bolt the engine back together.
    I didn't paint the oil pan because I still need to do some work on that. I want to enlarge the front section of the pan so it will hold a couple more quarts.
    Still need to finish up the polishing on the valve cover. It's only about half way done.

I was excited about getting the exhaust, until I did a test a fit.
    They drilled the holes a good 1/4" off from where they should be! Essentially they are useless as they are.

In the first pic, I cut a piece of cardboard to match the head ports. The pen marks show where the hidden part of the exhaust port is. This is what would be blocked if I bolted them on as is.

The second pic shows a stock LS exhaust gasket on the manifold. The stock gasket is actually larger than the the LS head ports, yet it still blocks a ton of the manifold port.

In the third pic, I marked the manifold with a felt pen to show where the holes should have been drilled.

Finally, in the forth pic, you can see that the holes are not centered to where the manifold was designed for them to be.

I sent an email to Marine Power, requesting they take these back and send me a new set. I would expect them to cover shipping both ways as well. We'll see how it goes. If I don't hear back by tomorrow afternoon, I'll give them a call.

If I end up using a set of the Marine Power manifolds, I will need to adapt my 496 risers to them.

The pics below show the difference between the manifolds and the riser. I knew I'd have to adapt the mating surface, so this wasn't a surprise to me. I had hoped the difference would be as much as it is though. To mate the two, I'll get a piece of 1" aluminum plate and cut/grind the opening to flow from the rectangular outlet to the circular inlet.

The two holes on the top of the manifold are for the stock marine power risers. They supplied plugs for those and I will install fittings in the holes on the side to feed the risers.

So the heads have round exhaust ports and the new manifolds are rectangular? Also nothing lines up. Are they even designed for this engine?
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

The heads are actually a "D" port. I was a bit surprised to see that the manifolds weren't designed with a D port also. The difference isn't very much though, provided they are lined up correctly. The manifold ports are only slightly larger than the heads, and only in the "corners" of the manifold port.

As an fyi, the factory GM exhaust manifolds are also larger than the head ports, but are circular.

Marine Power responded to email and said they are looking into it. Mine are one of the 1st of 50 sets that they just made. I asked that they get back to me this afternoon.

Marine Power said they will send me a new set with a shipping label to return these ones.

I was told these were for a Gen 5 motor and mine is a Gen 4. Doesn't really jive, because a Gen 5 is the LT1/4 and uses a different 5 bolt pattern as opposed to 6 bolts for the LS. Regardless, I'm just glad they will exchange these and I didn't have to argue about shipping costs.

Still have my fingers crossed until the new ones actually show up, though.

If these manifolds do actually play double duty for the LS and LT motors, that would somewhat explain your point Carl about the mis-matched shape of the ports.
    The LT motors look to have a more rectangular port than the LS, so these may be a closer fit for the LT's

Thread Information