Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 502 to LS3

Update: Of course, not as much done as I had hoped, but chipping away.

As far as the ECU goes, it is almost finished. I'm using a GM factory 80 pin connector instead of the Megasquirt DB37's so I soldered 74 wires (2 x 37) onto the MS board. The wires have slip on connectors to go to the back of the 80 pin plug.

ECU 1.jpg ECU 2.jpg

Once I was done, I realized it was going to be a pita to remove the board from the case (if I ever had to), because I'd have to remove 74 wires from the 80 connector to do so. So I de-soldered all the wires and utlilized the DB37 connectors on the board so I could easily disconnect the main connector. I'll bolt the DB37's together, so there will be no chance that they will vibrate loose.

ECU3.jpg

I have the wiring harness measured and strapped to the correct length, but still have to install the pins for the main connector. I received my O2 sensors and the controllers and have to wire those in as well. Final wiring step will be to set up a relay and fuse panel.
    I found a free electronic schematic program (TinyCad) and used it to draw up a couple diagrams for my panel and sensor connections. I figured the time spent doing the drawings would pay off come connection/setup time.

TinyCad.jpg
    Why is faster never fast enough.

I did another test fit of the engine, so I could determine the layout of the wiring harness, PS hoses, fuel lines and plumbing.

Test fit2.jpg

As long as I remove the oil pan, my hoist can lift the engine high enough to clear the deck.

Test fit1.jpg

I was saving the HE from my 496, to sell with the engine (once I get around to putting it back together), but as I am trying to maximize the free space in the engine bay, I've decided to ditch the HE I was using before and use the 496 one. It is considerably smaller, but it had absolutely no problem keeping the SC'd 496 cool, so I figure it should work with the LS. The 496 HE almost looks like an ps cooler next the one I was using.
    I'll mount it down low, to keep the hoses out of the way, as much as possible.

HE 1.jpg HE 2.jpg

I've also removed the bulkhead/firewall, as I need to replace it due to the subwoofer holes I had cut into it. Well it's out, I'll be able to re-route a few wires and one of the PS hoses that I want to relocate. I've also removed all the "chrome" plating. There are a bunch of screw holes I need to fill and a bit of grinding to do, so I'll have to repaint most of the bay.

bulkhead.jpg

FINALLY......Marine Power is sending me a replacement set of manifolds. I am crossing my fingers they have been correctly machined.
    They're still waiting on a new batch of castings to machine, but they said they have a set from an engine order that was cancelled, that they can send to me. They said they were machined before they changed their setup, so they should be good.

The only downside.....which (time wise) is an upside, is they are powder coated black. (I had ordered a raw set). I was going to polish my exhaust, for that added bling factor, but in the end, I'll probably be better off just installing a ready-made set, instead of spending an extra week trying to polish a rough casting.

The should be here next week.

You've been busy!

It looks like you're making really good progress Glenn. Will you be putting the firewall/bulkhead back in?

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    I did another test fit of the engine, so I could determine the layout of the wiring harness, PS hoses, fuel lines and plumbing.

Test fit2.jpg
    Where's the engine? Oh wait, I see it now. Thought that was the trim pump at first ...
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

What a difference. Will that little engine be up to the task?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Probably a good choice on the heat exchanger change, Glen.
    Mine went in so neatly, but it's has so much extra capacity that
    it never gets over 160*-170* unless I run really hard for an
    extended time. I think the capacity is about 700 HP. It'd probably
    be great for a blower motor.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Looking great! Keep it up!

but I must admit......I get nervous with all those wires and connections!!! I went old school with a 1 wire ignition . I envy your ability and patience with working with all the electronics and tuning!

keep keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by chip w View Post
    It looks like you're making really good progress Glenn. Will you be putting the firewall/bulkhead back in?
    Yes. A new firewall will go back in. I had cut 10" holes in it for some subwoofers, but I plan to relocate those, so need to replace the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    Where's the engine? Oh wait, I see it now. Thought that was the trim pump at first ...

What a difference. Will that little engine be up to the task?
    Lol. Nice shot. It may be small, but it will be mighty!! (I hope)
    The LS is 200 lbs lighter. The change in exhaust, HE and smaller S/C add up to at least another 50. That's a significant amount of weight off the back end.

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Probably a good choice on the heat exchanger change, Glen.
    Mine went in so neatly, but it's has so much extra capacity that
    it never gets over 160*-170* unless I run really hard for an
    extended time. I think the capacity is about 700 HP. It'd probably
    be great for a blower motor.
    I agree George. Also, being all aluminum, the engine will dissipate heat a lot faster and won't require as much cooling as an iron block

Quote Originally Posted by 22classic View Post
    Looking great! Keep it up!
    but I must admit......I get nervous with all those wires and connections!!! I went old school with a 1 wire ignition . I envy your ability and patience with working with all the electronics and tuning!
    keep keep up the good work!
    Thanks. I get nervous too! I probably rewired that 80 pin connector 4 or 5 times. Every time I checked the pinout, I always seemed to find another wire I set in the wrong spot. I'm nervous every time I power it up, thinking I may have done something wrong.

"Lol. Nice shot. It may be small, but it will be mighty!! (I hope)
    The LS is 200 lbs lighter. The change in exhaust, HE and smaller S/C add up to at least another 50. That's a significant amount of weight off the back end."

I'm just messing with ya. Lots of us are watching this project. Less weight is always better.

No worries Carl. I know you're just kidding.

I feel the loss of 250lbs, should help to mitigate some of the loss of BB torque.

They finally arrived. Almost 7 months after the original order, I have a usable set of exhaust manifolds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've been working on the relocations of the fuel pump, sea strainer and H/E, trying to free up valuable "working" space.
    The fuel pump was just a minor relocate, from the top of the "shelf" to the side of the stringer.
    The sea strainer was on top of the shelf, on the starboard side. That was about the only place I could find with the 502. Now that I'm not using the Q&Q, the removal of the Y-pipe opened up some room to drop the strainer down to the side of the stringer. Can't fit it on the starboard side because of the starter, but there is room on the port side. It doesn't really change my plumbing too much. Using the 496HO H/E and mounting it down low will significantly change the plumbing.....for the better. I'm going to mount it down low in the bilge, just in front of the crank pump. Because of the "stiffeners" that were installed for the factory repair, I have something to bolt it to. I could put it low on the firewall/bulkhead, but that will result in hoses taking up that beautiful open space in front of the engine.
    I'll post some pics later.

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    They finally arrived. Almost 7 months after the original order, I have a usable set of exhaust manifolds.
    Those look good!
    I bet you could smooth them up a bit and a coat of high end acrylic/polyurethane paint would make them look like a mirror!
    I waited a year for a replacement speedometer! Apparently the MFGR got into a disagreement w/the silk screener, and nothing
    happened for months and months.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Outstanding work Glen.

Looking good.
    Da Taz
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary will get you every time."
    Wes

Niceeee

This is a very cool project Glenn and I wish I stumbled upon it sooner! I'm an LS junkie myself. I cammed, pullied and tuned my '09 LSA powered CTS-V. I would love to LS swap a boat and I'm interested to see how that boat comes out of the hole with a drastically different torque curve.

Why aren't you using a stock ECU?

Thread Information