Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17

Thread: 502 to LS3

Nothing much happening with this lately. Kind of at a stand still until the ECU gets here. I'm out of town for the next week and hopefully it'll be here when I get back.
    The only thing I've done is order a set if risers for my manifolds. I changed my mind (which I often do) about getting the headers for now.
    I have to ramp things up as soon as the ECU gets here, so I can have it running by the end of March.
    We are heading to Miami for the first two weeks of April and as soon as I get back, I'll be starting our house build. Once the build starts, I won't have time for anything else for the next year or so.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

So life plans changed again....and (again) the boat takes the hit. I doubt I'll have it running by the end of the month. Way too much stuff to do.
    We had planned to buy a place in Miami after our house build, but with the real estate market doing crazy stupid things, we pulled the trigger now. Now I have to delay our home build, go to Miami to reno that house, then come back and start the build here. This compounds stuff I had to take care of by the end of the month and isn't leaving me a lot of extra free time for the boat.
    I thought retirement meant you didn't have to work.

Anyways.....I have been doing some work...albeit, not a lot.

Had to do some creative bending to fit the dipstick tube.
    Dipstick.jpg

some bits and pieces I needed to finish the motor came in.
    Misc parts.jpg

and my risers
    Risers.jpg

and the ECU
    MS3V-E_Pkg.jpg

Started redoing the engine harness. I bought the universal harness with the ECU, but all the connectors need to come off my old harness. It doesn't look like it should take more than a half day or so to build a harness but it's surprising how long it really takes.
    So, my old harness went from this:
    Harness_old.jpg

To this:
    Harness_old2.jpg

Now that I got the final connectors in, I can finish the wiring harness.

Looking ahead, I knew I needed an alignment bar to set the motor in it's final resting spot. I went through the same decision process as I did when I bought my TIG welder. That is; do I buy the item (which is a relatively inexpensive option).......or, do I spend big $ and buy the equipment to make it myself.

Probably not my best decision, but.........
    Lathe.jpg Alignment bar.jpg

I don't regret buying the TIG welder for a second. I'm using it way more than I expected. I wish I would have done it years ago. It's great to be able to build with aluminum.
    The lathe, I'm not to sure about. I've wanted one for as long as I can remember, but I also knew I didn't really have a need for one. It probably wasn't the financially prudent thing to do, but then again, my wife is never financially prudent in a shoe store....

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    It probably wasn't the financially prudent thing to do, but then again, my wife is never financially prudent in a shoe store....
    Amen to that!

Nice lathe. You won't regret it.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    I've wanted one for as long as I can remember, but I also knew I didn't really have a need for one. It probably wasn't the financially prudent thing to do, but then again, my wife is never financially prudent in a shoe store....

OMG ! That reminds me of a certain conversation between my pops and my moms a few years ago .. LOL
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

There's no turning back now...

I need to run O2 sensors in order to tune the motor properly, so.......

Risers 2.jpg

Will make a couple bungs on the lathe to weld in place. Not sure if the O2's will be permanent, because the sensors don't like water, but I need them to tune.
    Also have to weld in a couple smaller bungs on the side of the risers for the EGT sensors.

I finished pretty much everything I needed to with the motor out, so this week it'll go back in. Hopefully for the final time.
    Then I can complete the P/S lines, remote oil lines, and the last bit of the wiring harness.

Innovate makes a shield/ extension that screws into the bung. It protects the sensor. I am running one. Slick piece. https://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Moto.../dp/B07DM69MP4
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Thanks. I have seen those. They've always been on my mind as a possible/probable use.

Would those allow you to run a closed efi system?
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    Would those allow you to run a closed efi system?
    Yes , they would. Or in my case , get the carb fine tuned.
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Thread Information