Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 502 to LS3

502 to LS3

It only took 4 years to swap out my 496 to the 502, so it only makes sense to swap out the 502 after 4 runs..................doesn't it.

I just got news that I'm losing my storage for the boat at the end of December so that's pushing up the schedule for the LS3 swap. I planned to sell some stuff to fund this project, but now I'll just have to order the parts to get it done asap and hope my wife doesn't check the visa card.

So the plan is to boost the LS3 with about 10lbs, which should put it well over 600hp.
    I'm strongly considering installing a wastegate and setting up the SC to about 15lbs and wasting the excess 5lbs of boost. That will allow the SC to produce boost earlier and build power sooner, but still not grenade the engine at the top end. I still need to do a bit more research on that

I want to increase the ring gap to help avoid having the ring ends butting and snapping the top ring land off the piston. Of course that requires a total engine disassembly, which I did today.

Disassembled.jpg

...............And now I have a bunch of left over parts. Make me an offer.

Spare Parts.jpg

I'll need to get a new harmonic balancer because the stock one doesn't have any bolt holes to accept the SC pulley. I also have to get a flywheel to bolt the coupler to, and Comp Cams make a rocker arm trunnion upgrade kit for the rocker arms. From what I have found out, the stock rockers are decent, but trunnions are the weak link. Also need a new cam, exhaust manifolds and bigger injectors. Will probably call Bob Madera?? for the cam and Marine Power makes an aluminum exhaust manifold for only $225 a side. I'm pretty sure I can make the risers off my 496HO fit the manifolds.
    The expensive purchase will be the computer to run this thing. Not sure yet what brand I'll get.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

The construction of the LS3 is pretty impressive. Considering how well this motor was finished and the thought put into it, I was quite surprised to find they didn't clean up the bottom of the bores.
    You know how when you drill metal, the back side will usually have burrs/flakes of metal. That's what was on the bottom of the bores, when they drilled the block for the cylinder sleeves.

I picked up several pieces of aluminum from every bore. Will definitely be cleaning that up before reassemble. The pictures don't really show how bad it was and I picked up a lot more metal than whats shown on my finger. I got 3 to 6 pieces the size shown on my finger from each bore, just from rubbing my finger on it. That's a lot of metal to be floating around a new engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was wondering why the cam wasn't in the "not needed" pile.

Speaking of the stock finish....one of the reasons I used a Dart block
    was because several folks told me how much cleaner and better finished
    they were compared to a new Bow Tie block, for instance.
    Considering how so much of your new engine is robot assembled, and the
    tolerances they're built to, I suspect that if the unfinished bore bottoms
    turned into a problem, they'd generate a cleanup fix to take care of it.

I was curious,.....is this a direct injection engine?
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

It is not direct injected. The new versions (LT1/LT4) are and also have VVT.

On another note, I now believe I can use the stock cam. I had misinterpreted the information I had read earlier and it shouldn't have reversion issues. That's good news for my wallet.

Is there a reason you are ditching the proven 502?
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Does this engine have iron cylinder liners?
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Awesome project - blown LS will make a killer engine for your 22. With the cost of parts coming down I'm kinda surprised we haven't seen more of these.

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    I'll need to get a new harmonic balancer because the stock one doesn't have any bolt holes to accept the SC pulley.
    If you're trying to avoid unnecessary spending (and who isn't?), you can probably reuse your stock balancer. Just get the jig to drill/tap for your S/C pulley. Pretty common practice.

Keep us posted on your progress!
    "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter View Post
    Awesome project - blown LS will make a killer engine for your 22. With the cost of parts coming down I'm kinda surprised we haven't seen more of these.

If you're trying to avoid unnecessary spending (and who isn't?), you can probably reuse your stock balancer. Just get the jig to drill/tap for your S/C pulley. Pretty common practice.

Keep us posted on your progress!
    I'm sure a local machine shop could do it for under $50. I know my local shop would.
    Sure beats several hundred for an new balancer.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    Is there a reason you are ditching the proven 502?
    Yes. To go with the proven LS3.

I've just always wanted to do an all aluminum small block.....long before the LS3. I like the idea of weight savings and will love the extra room in the engine compartment. It's the current 502 I have, that sent me over the edge and made me pull the trigger.

502 .jpg

It's just too big. If I drop something in the bilge, I can't reach in to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Does this engine have iron cylinder liners?
    Yes it does.

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter View Post
    I have thought about that. I'm very hesitant because the 3 "arms?" on the balancer are very thin. I'm concerned there isn't enough meat there to support the strain of the blower pulley

[QUOTE=yeller;665570]Yes. To go with the proven LS3.
    I've just always wanted to do an all aluminum small block.....long before the LS3. I like the idea of weight savings and will love the extra room in the engine compartment. It's the current 502 I have, that sent me over the edge and made me pull the trigger.
    502 .jpg
    It's just too big. If I drop something in the bilge, I can't reach in to get it. [QUOTE]

That looks so damn AWESOME though! You should be solidly in the 90s. Anyway, a lot of us will be anxiously following your new project because, like you, I have a crapload of weight in back. (where are the yellow billet battery boxes?)
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I have thought about that. I'm very hesitant because the 3 "arms?" on the balancer are very thin. I'm concerned there isn't enough meat there to support the strain of the blower pulley
    This is a good reason to go w/a new balancer.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

[QUOTE=yeller;665570]

502 .jpg

It's just too big. If I drop something in the bilge, I can't reach in to get it.

Looks like you have twins .........stuffed.

This has the makings of a great thread.

Glen, I am glad you have to keep busy.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by CHACHI View Post
    This has the makings of a great thread.

Glen, I am glad you have to keep busy.

Ken
    I'm only doing this for you guys. Now that George is done, someone has to pick up the gauntlet.

I'm only doing this for you guys. Now that George is done, someone has to pick up the gauntlet.
    And it gives me an opportunity to chime in on other threads.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Thread Information