Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 502 to LS3

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    Looked into this as that is what most LS guys are using; even those with boosted applications. From what I could find out there isn't a company that will unlock the ecu for life. They sell you "credits" to flash the ecu. Once the credits are used up, you have to buy more.
    The stock ecu is the cheaper way to go if you only need to flash the ecu a few times, but I expect to have to flash it a whole bunch of times and the stock setup would end up being exorbitantly expensive in the long run.

22Classic: waiting for the your test data.
    This is not correct. You buy credits in HPTuners for a single serial number and you can re-flash over and over on the same credits you already used. I used 2 credit for my '09 Caddy and 2 credits for my '15 Sierra and I keep flashing them whenever I need to make changes.

I still need to purchase a couple O2 sensors and controllers, as well as set of injectors. I keep checking the LS and Corvette forums hoping to snag a deal on the injectors. I'm leaving those to the very end in case a deal pops up. I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering the O2 sensors and controllers early next week. As it sits right now, the O2 controllers will be the raw board and components, so I can integrate them into the same ECU enclosure.

The final big item is still the exhaust manifolds. Five months later and I still haven't been able to get a replacement set. At this point, I 75% believe Marine Power will come through. They still always answer my emails, but they say they don't have any themselves, because their casting company is back-ordered. The latest is Marine Power will be taking a deliver at the end of this month or early next month; then they have to machine them. I've been told they have a bunch of motors sitting to go out that need the manifolds, so if what they are saying is true; I'm hopeful they'll save a set for me. In my opinion, (and of course I'm biased) I should be their number one priority. They didn't even know they had an issue until I brought it to their attention. If I hadn't said anything, they would have sent out a bunch of bad manifolds to other motor companies (like Michigan Marine), as well as delivered their own motors...all with bad manifolds. That could have ended up being a nightmare for them. I've been extremely patient, but I admit, it's running pretty thin. I'll be contacting them again at the end of the month and we'll see what they say.
    I have a set of LSA injectors (64 lbs I think) laying around because I went up to ID850's. The only thing is the spray pattern is a bit different for boost and the wing cast into the LSA heads. Let me know if you're interested in using them, I'm sure we can work something out. I also have a stock and ported LSA blower and one of them is a spare but I can't decide which right now because I haven't purchased the 102mm throttle body I need for the ported blower yet.

Closed loop?

Hi Glenn,
    I didn't read back all the way but I was wondering if you saw these and if you planning on running closed loop?

http://www.marineindustrieswest.com/...6-5b623571f931

Quote Originally Posted by wetcoast View Post
    This is not correct. You buy credits in HPTuners for a single serial number and you can re-flash over and over on the same credits you already used. I used 2 credit for my '09 Caddy and 2 credits for my '15 Sierra and I keep flashing them whenever I need to make changes.
    I use ScanTool for my American cars. I can flash them as many times as I want. I think the package I have is good for 3 cars but of coarse you can always buy more.

Has anyone used the Mercruiser tools such as Rinda for the ECU?

Taz
    Da Taz
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary will get you every time."
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Those look good!
    I bet you could smooth them up a bit and a coat of high end acrylic/polyurethane paint would make them look like a mirror!
    George, I convinced myself not to polish my manifold and keep the black in order to reduce my launch schedule. Don't encourage me to do more work.

I was unaware of that. I misread their website then. In any case, even though I looked into it, I never really planned to use the stock ECU. I was always leaning 90% towards aftermarket.

I have a set of LSA injectors (64 lbs I think) laying around because I went up to ID850's.
    I am interested if they have the USCAR connector. What fuel pressure are they rated 64lbs and are they a true 64lb injector or a redrilled/reworked lower injector? I'm not really concerned about the spray pattern as I don't believe it makes too much of a difference, as the injectors can't keep up to the firing of the cylinders anyway. Probably makes a difference in the LT1/4 that are direct injected and run close to 3000lb fuel pressure.

Hi Glenn,
    I didn't read back all the way but I was wondering if you saw these and if you planning on running closed loop?
    http://www.marineindustrieswest.com/...6-5b623571f931
    Never saw those, but they wouldn't work for my application because I am adapting my 496HO risers to the MP exhaust manifolds, so I have to go from a rectangular manifold collector to a circular riser. I have 1" aluminum plate that I fabbing to fit. I was going to install the O2 sensors in the plate, but have since decided to weld the bung in the end of the riser......although this may change
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Wetcoast, PM'd you my number.

Taz, I've never used the Rhinda, but I also never saw anything negative about it during my searches.
    Used ones come up for sale occasionally on OSO, but tend to go fast.

Taz, I've never used the Rhinda, but I also never saw anything negative about it during my searches.
    Used ones come up for sale occasionally on OSO, but tend to go fast.
    Thanks Glen. I like that it is a handheld and would be easier to use while running. No need to take a laptop.

Taz
    Da Taz
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary will get you every time."
    Wes

Glen, I didn't mean polish the manifolds, but, knock down the high spots, prime and paint.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Never saw those, but they wouldn't work for my application because I am adapting my 496HO risers to the MP exhaust manifolds, so I have to go from a rectangular manifold collector to a circular riser. I have 1" aluminum plate that I fabbing to fit. I was going to install the O2 sensors in the plate, but have since decided to weld the bung in the end of the riser......although this may change
    Be careful about this because heated O2's are very very sensitive to moisture. I've heard of a few other trying to mount them and have them burn out immediately. Further away form the water injection point the best.

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Glen, I didn't mean polish the manifolds, but, knock down the high spots, prime and paint.
    I do know that is what you meant.......but it's still extra work. I'm ok with the powder coating for now. Need to get this thing running. I can always go back to that later.

Be careful about this because heated O2's are very very sensitive to moisture. I've heard of a few other trying to mount them and have them burn out immediately. Further away form the water injection point the best.
    Yes. Well aware of that. I have a plan...

Somewhere George had mentioned how Aluminum and Brass aren't good together.
    Here's a pic to support that.

Both these items were brand new and there is only 3hrs (absolute MAX) on the parts. All my other aluminum only or brass only parts still look new.
    The corrosion wouldn't be much if these parts were years old, but it is surprising that this much corrosion could show up in less than 3hrs. It is very clearly starting to corrode on the threads and the inside of the brass nipple. (The tan colored stuff at the base of the aluminum threads is just excess pipe paste).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just an added note to the ECU talk. I had wanted to use the MSPro (megasquirt) because it's assembled and I feel it's a comparable unit to Holley, AEM, etc, but a more economical price. I didn't go that route, because it doesn't have any more analog inputs than the MS3, so (for me) it didn't warrant the extra cost. It actually has less A/I, because the MS3 has a couple "unadvertised" inputs that can be created.
    Figures, that now they have come out with the MSPro EVO. $50 more than the Pro and 4 extra inputs. That would have given me the 2 extra inputs that I had to "create" with the MS3, plus 2 more, which would be perfect for my 2 EGT's.

Every single ECU that I looked at, from every manufacturer was a compromise on what I wanted (unless I wanted to spend $2500 +). The MS3 had the least amount of compromise, and as a bonus, it was the cheapest.

I would have snapped up the EVO if this had come out a couple months ago. Damn!

Not too much to report on over the last few weeks. A bunch of small things that eat a lot a time and make you feel like you aren't getting anywhere.
    Struggling to find something to post. Below is about all I have.

I'm moving my sea strainer from the starboard to port side, so I had to flip the transom water inlet fitting 180 degrees. It didn't land in the correct position, so I made this little adapter, to clock it a few extra degrees.

Inlet adapter.jpg

Spent quite a bit of time making the wiring harness. Didn't want to use the corrugated plastic sheathing that I used before. I wanted something that looked a bit more professional, so I used different sizes of expandable woven and fabric split sheathing. I'm happy with how it turned out. I still have to add the 80 pin ECU connector. That'll be a several hour job for later.

Harness.jpg

I've been dreading making the adaptors to fit my risers to the exhaust manifolds. A ton of grinding involved. Have one 80% done. Several hours, but wasn't as bad as I anticipated. Need to smooth it out some with a flapper wheel and finish the outside edges.

Riser adapter 1.jpg Riser Adapter 2.jpg

Going out of town for a week, so won't be getting any work done. I'm hoping to have all the work done and engine in by the end of June. The BIG question mark, is how long is it going to take to get it running properly with the Megasquirt. Have my fingers crossed that it'll go relatively smoothly. Going to be a big learning curve for sure, though.

Hey Yeller!

Clear out your inbox!

Thread Information