Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Classic 22 with Arneson

Good to see progress. Keep the updates coming.

On a side note: you really should download a picture resizer. It'll take a 5meg pic down to 100~200kb. I don't bother looking through all your pics because they take too long to load.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Progress...

Finally got around to machining the adaptor to mount the water pump to the end of the crank shaft.

The pump was originally in the drive, and there really isn't much available for a 460 water pump so I ordered a generic johnson pump off ebay.

The box is mounted and the transom is cut. There is no going back now!

When I post pictures, why do some of them turn? It appears to be difficult to use....

20161220_192339_1482299072860.jpg20161220_192620_1482299072441.jpg20161220_192624_1482299051320.jpg20161220_194016_1482299050748.jpg

Is that a pilot for inside of the pump flange?
    I'm a big fan of Johnson crank mounted pumps and have used them on several projects.
    The last pump, on a BBC, had nothing to pilot to, so I used the three 1/2" diameter
    flange holes and made spacers from thick wall stainless tubing. It was a very precision fit.
    Essentially, I made three shoulder bolts w/o the expense of having custom bolts made.

Attached Images Attached Images
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I guess I didn't totally show what I did.

I machined the harmonic balancer flange to have a lip, then the spacer, then used the lip on the pump so everything would align. It should be within a couple thousandths.

The pump is a generic Johnson pump off of eBay. I want to say it was 120 shipped if I remember correctly.

Its made in Korea, but looks to be good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    Hope Jeff will chim in but since he added Arneson rocker tabs to his Minx & using a 4 blade Rolla 23 pith prop it's working much better. The pic here does not have the rocker tabs on the Minx yet.

That is such as badass pic! Perfect timing! I hope to have some nice shots next season! Great Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by 22classic View Post
    I guess I didn't totally show what I did.

I machined the harmonic balancer flange to have a lip, then the spacer, then used the lip on the pump so everything would align. It should be within a couple thousandths.

The pump is a generic Johnson pump off of eBay. I want to say it was 120 shipped if I remember correctly.

Its made in Korea, but looks to be good quality.
    It seems the crank driven pumps are never a straight bolt on because the bolt holes are much larger than the bolts so they need work to keep them centered. I had to make up a centering disc for my 502
    Attached Images Attached Images

Progress update

I finally mounted the drive and the steering is mounted, then I started running the hydraulic cables and mounting the steering helm. I made a press fit ring and mounted the helm in the original housing as you can see in the picture. 20170107_174413.jpgresize1.jpg

Update!

Engine and transmission are mounted, everything was pretty easy, no real problems yet. You do need to make sure that your clearance between teh transmission output and the drive input is correct as it can differ depending on the thickness of the transom. But it loos killer hanging back there!

While I was at it I painted the bilge with bilge coat.

Steering helm and wiring is next.

Should be ready for early spring!

resize (2).jpgresize.jpg

Forgot to mention the engine sits 1" lower and 3/4" forward of its original location.

This will really help with the hatch clearance, it also shouldn't change the center of gravity. Some people were saying that I was going to have to move the engine into the back seat!

Nice! I'm eagerly following this project.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

What he said!

Progress!

I should be ready for the water by this weekend!

I figured out a couple different things along this build.

1. I installed an oil thermostat that will keep the engine oil at 160-180 and speed oil temp warm up.

2. I installed an oil gauge metering the oil temp after the cooler.

3. Installing all new coolers and accessories can be a fun but difficult job.

4. the entire build really wasn't very difficult plumbing safely is probably the most difficult.

5. I'm glad I had a friend on hand to check that turning left was indeed turning left, as I had the lines mixed up! That could have been a good laugh at the dock!

6. I think it would be best to design and build an adjustable fin for the bottom of the skeg....

Video is uploading now....

Proof!

https://youtu.be/ZNgB2pfZlAg

ill show the inside after I detail the girl....

but this is a great first step!

https://youtu.be/T0fssv-53Ok

video showing steering and trim...

Wow, that looks like it came out really well. Can't wait to see some videos of it in the water and running. What a great project. keep us posted on the handling, etc.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

Thread Information