Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Classic 22 with Arneson

Steering reversed w/an Arnison could be a bit more than just comedic at the dock!
    Nice coolers and good instrumentation are so important.
    I've gone back and forth about an oil thermostat a jillion times.
    My temp sensor is in the pan and i found it took awhile to warm up all the oil in the pan.
    I was really concerned until I shot the oil filter shell w/my IR temp gun and decided all
    was good and temps were great. Here in Florida, the water temp is in the high 80's
    most of the year and present the boat owner w/ a bit of a dilemma as to necessity.
    I did go to the trouble to pick an oil thermostat, decide where to mount it, and how to plumb
    it w/the least disruption to existing hoses, etc.
    Your drive installation looks spectacular and I hope you have none of the handling issues
    so common on stepless deep-V hulls.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Looking forward to the results.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Progress!

She made it to the water!

My first impressions on the water are as follows.

1. It pulls out of the hole much faster, and it is much more stable. When you slam on the power with the original drive it would torque over, and un-torque if you got off the throttle fast. This does not happen with the Arneson, it is dead flat and stable.

2. Reversing isn't quite as good as the original drive, but it shifts much faster and easier. So it kinda makes up for some of the limited reverse control. It is still much better than my chris-craft that only had a prop and rudder. It is still very maneuverable.

3. Steering is rock solid, and there is no play with the hydraulics. Its nice when you are in a tight channel. You can literally drive with your hands off the steering wheel. its is really nice not having something being pulled out of your hands......

4. I no longer have to constantly trim the boat, when its up, its level. I don't understand why this would change, you would think that it would just be the bottom of the boat.

5. The boat is much faster, or at least accelerates much better. I kept the speeds under 60 because this is only a test run at this time and I have not chased out all the gremlins yet.

6. Bow lift shouldn't be a problem, or at least so far under 60 she rides just like I would want. I even used the tabs to trim the bow down.

7. so far only smooth water, so a rough water review will have to wait.

8. I threw the power steering belt, so I found the first gremlin...on the search to find more.

Hmmmm. Intriguing. Keep us posted on progress. I'm tired of Bravo drives.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Sounds like a very good first impression, congrats! Interested to hear more as you get more time and refinement of the setup.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Congrats. Sounds like a good first run.
    Let us know how it runs when you get a chance to wind it out.

Here is the video of the first run with the Arneson.

https://youtu.be/b4ZIDJ03-ZQ

It was mentioned that it is difficult for Arnesons to come onto plane because the props slip etc with being at the surface but here is a video showing us taking off and it gets on plane faster than the original outdrive. There is almost no wake at the nose to climb up and over... It is fun testing and learning from all of this.

https://youtu.be/7Eb1t52pIks

Very nicely done. And I am pleasantly surprised with how well it ran for the first outing.

It seems very stable, without the porpoising some anticipated. I love how it comes on plane like a ski boat without digging the stern in before getting over the hump.

And you have to admit, the rooster tail is exceptionally cool.

Keep the videos coming!
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Dam that is awesome. I can see more doing this. Did the engine have to be moved from original position? What is the estimated total cost of the conversion?
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Very nicely done! Congrats on a good first shakedown run!!! It really looks like it's going to pay off.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    Dam that is awesome. I can see more doing this. Did the engine have to be moved from original position? What is the estimated total cost of the conversion?

The engine is about 1" lower and 3/4" forward.

In terms of cost, it depends if you buy new or used etc. I purchased this used and made sure that it was still in production with all the part etc. I also purchased a used prop because I wanted to first get something to try and if the need arises ill pony up for the 5k prop.

Buying a used asd6 bravo conversion kit and prop I'm in the project somewhere around 10k.

In terms of time, I'm probably in it 40hrs to make the full conversion including fabrication the water pump parts etc.

Glad it's working out for you.
    I am surprised at how quickly it gets on plan. It takes longer for my boat to get on plan with the BH than it did with the Bravo, so I expected your drive to be similar.

Very cool, lots of stories out there that an Arneson is no good on a 22. This seems to show otherwise..
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Watched both videos with interest. Looks like a great first run. Congrats.

I would truly enjoy seeing some side shot video, once you decide to air it out.

Good luck!

Thread Information