Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic 22 with Arneson

Classic 22 with Arneson

Hello,
    Has anyone performed the Arneson swap on a Classic 22? If so what was the experience? What did you do about bow lift etc? How was the rough water handling?

Thanks for any and all input!

Best,
    Matt

I won'r elaborate, but it's generally not the best or easiest solution to your performance wants and desires,
    besides the cost.
    Generally the bow won't lift and the boats will inevitably run flat.
    There's been a couple of exceptions.....one was an 18 and not a 22, the other is a 20' Minx, which has a porpoising problem.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

When I was setting up my 22 I was going to use an Arneson ,as I raced with Howard and was racing when he developed his first one . However everyone said the SCX would be a better fit and would give me more lift .

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    When I was setting up my 22 I was going to use an Arneson ,as I raced with Howard and was racing when he developed his first one . However everyone said the SCX would be a better fit and would give me more lift .
    How did that work out for you? ...Ed

didn't Ken have an Arneson?
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Buiz, you mean Kenny Lessard? He had one installed, but if my memory serves me, he could never get it to perform properly. He ended up selling the boat.

Ken

CDMA , Chris Allard was working on one a while back . Not sure of the outcome .
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
    CDMA , Chris Allard was working on one a while back . Not sure of the outcome .
    I'm pretty sure it was never finished.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

to paraphrase Ken

I took a 60 mph and made it a 45 mph boat

I would think a BH hull over a reg 22 hull might respond better with the built in rocker but I bet you would nee Arny rocker plates as well
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    I won'r elaborate, but it's generally not the best or easiest solution to your performance wants and desires,
    besides the cost.
    Generally the bow won't lift and the boats will inevitably run flat.
    There's been a couple of exceptions.....one was an 18 and not a 22, the other is a 20' Minx, which has a porpoising problem.
    ----George,,,I believe Jeff has conquered the problem with the Minx!.......Bill S

Hope Jeff will chim in but since he added Arneson rocker tabs to his Minx & using a 4 blade Rolla 23 pith prop it's working much better. The pic here does not have the rocker tabs on the Minx yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    Hope Jeff will chim in but since he added Arneson rocker tabs to his Minx & using a 4 blade Rolla 23 pith prop it's working much better. The pic here does not have the rocker tabs on the Minx yet.

nice pic mighty mouse was entirely different after the arny rocker plates too. I guess the marine engineers on the board can discuss the difference the short strakes of the minx and the longer strakes of the 22 and how they will react to the arny surface drive

The minx is just a 4 foot longer 16 ski sporter hull the minx has no built in intentional hook does it? from the pic I would say no looking a Jeff's boot stripe it almost looks like there is rocker in the hull
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Kenny couldn't get the bow lift but I had the opposite problem. Out of anything I tried, the 17.75x23 4 blade Rolla helped the most. The added length of the rocker plates cured the porpoise. I do not run them in rocker mode. Just a tick down. 280 K planes would have probably done the job as well. I have just acquired my own Rolla. Next year I will see how fast it will go. I like the setup and it really shines in rough water. I also have bow tank which helps quite a bit.
    The porpoise was so strong, 210 pounds of sand bags in the front wouldn't stop it. It blows my mind.
    All is well now. I moved the fuel tank back 19". I should have just left it.
    I will attempt to measure the long CG again. Nothing like a good project!

Also, running these boats in flat water is absolutely boring.

Jeff

Whats the difference in a Black Hawk drive and a Areson drive. I found a Black Hawk and folks say they will swap ends...Will the rocker plates help. Maybe strakes on the bottom of the rocker plates that go into the water 4" to 6"...Not trying to high jack, just trying to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Donzi Z22 View Post
    Whats the difference in a Black Hawk drive and a Areson drive. I found a Black Hawk and folks say they will swap ends...Will the rocker plates help. Maybe strakes on the bottom of the rocker plates that go into the water 4" to 6"...Not trying to high jack, just trying to learn.
    Blackhawk is a surface drive but counterrotating twin propellors. Arneson is a surface drive but a single prop. Blackhawks do not normally swap ends , they swap which surface of the boat is out of the water

Strakes provide a 10x or similar downforce on the water ( psi ) as the water that originally rose up to hit them. Think hanging onto a fire hose. That force lifts the hull.

You DO NOT want to lift the transom so I'd put that idea to bed.

Thread Information