Thread: 22 Classic - Stereo System Input (High end)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

22 Classic - Stereo System Input (High end)

Good day everyone:

I recently acquired a 2008 22 Classic that has never had a stereo / sound system in it. There are no holes cut for anything anywhere, only conduit running down the sides to ease the installation process.

I'd like to install a PHENOMENAL system in this boat (subs, clean power, high quality sound and clarity, etc.). There are no budgetary restraints. I'd like to do something that would layout the speakers in a way that could best utilize the design of our classic cockpit, but I don't want it to look boastful. Ideally, it would look subtle with white marine speakers that don't visibly stand out too much if possible. I don't want to bring unnecessary attention to the boat by passers by at the dock, if I can help it.

I want the highest quality, full range sound and volume available... plenty of low end sub bass for hip hop when I want it, plenty of balanced, crystal clear, high fidelity for some killer jazz or classic rock, 80's New Wave... whatever I decide to play I want it to sound epic :-)

If any of you have killer sound systems in your 22 classic... please do share what you've done and what you might recommend to me . I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance!

JY

don't do it

I'm going to suggest you leave the boat as is. Buy a self-contained, rechargeable battery powered, Bluetooth driven, cube speaker. real good ones are $2-300 and you can take it on boat and anywhere else too...
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

Whats the intended use? Might be a fruitless pursuit. We listen to our stereo while cruising and at anything beyond ~30mph you can't hear anything but wind / engine noise. I'd be weary of turning any system up loud enough to overcome that while cruising. For listening while at anchor or beached the factory system has been enough for me - and it appears to be very simple/basic. The only thing left wanting is bass, and only because the exhaust completely drowns out the lows.

I concur w/everyone else.
    If you're drifting by yourself, it's fine, I guess.
    If i was nearby, I'd leave. No one has else the right
    to choose my entertainment for me.
    I hate it in car traffic when people play their music so loud.
    I don't bother them w/what I play, why can't they
    leave me alone?
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    I concur w/everyone else.
    If you're drifting by yourself, it's fine, I guess.
    If i was nearby, I'd leave. No one has else the right
    to choose my entertainment for me.
    I hate it in car traffic when people play their music so loud.
    I don't bother them w/what I play, why can't they
    leave me alone?
    Yes, nothing more obnoxious than being pounded by someone's music at a serene boating area. Some great headphones might be a good way to go?

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

I have a JL Audio system with 4 M770's that sounds absolutely kickass. I have two under the dashboard on the sides where you and your passenger's feet would be, and two in the back on the bottom of sides where passenger feet would be. They're big speakers, so the bass is fantastic, they're ridiculously crisp and clear sounding, I'm very happy with the setup. Best thing is, because of the low location, everything surrounds you very well inside of the boat, and the inside hullsides only act to provide a better acoustic enclosure for speakers--but you can't hear it as well from outside of the boat by nature, so neighboring boats aren't pissed. I also have a Fusion 750 series head unit (which I just looked, and they've doubled in price since I bought mine). The Fusion has Bluetooth capability with an additional dongle you can purchase. My speakers are hooked up to a JL Audio MHD600/4 amp which I mounted on the left side of the storage bin in front of foot area. I attached a pic here of the amp. I unfortunately couldn't find pics of the speaker locations but if you want I'll take pics next time I am with the boat. It's tough to find a spot to mount a subwoofer on a 22. You could possibly mount it in the front storage area where my amp is, maybe on other side or in a custom enclosure, but I worry that that would be a bad spot acoustically. On the occasion a bass-heavy pop song comes on in my boat, I'm more than satisfied with the bass--but if you want even more, you might be able to squeeze M880 speakers in the boat. They weren't around when I put my system in, but could possibly fit.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Donzi 22' Classic

Thread Information