Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 22 Classic - Stereo System Input (High end)

I had the same issue as George, I have a 21 year old boat that had four crappy looking speakers. So I put four 8" Kickers in and a Kenwood marine deck and amp. It looks better than what was there and sounds great to me. So how much do I use it? hardly at all. When i'm on the water and not running I like the quiet and the sound of the water. Occasionally if I have a friend with me we turn it on for a few minutes, laugh about it and shut it off. Mostly I use it when the boat is on the trailer and I'm working on the boat and that's at pretty low levels. Maybe I'm just to old to really want to crank it up all the time. But my 6 year old loves to crank it up. He loves hard rock and thinks the Kickers sound great.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

Quote Originally Posted by RockyS18 View Post
    I have a JL Audio system with 4 M770's that sounds absolutely kickass. I have two under the dashboard on the sides where you and your passenger's feet would be, and two in the back on the bottom of sides where passenger feet would be. They're big speakers, so the bass is fantastic, they're ridiculously crisp and clear sounding, I'm very happy with the setup. Best thing is, because of the low location, everything surrounds you very well inside of the boat, and the inside hullsides only act to provide a better acoustic enclosure for speakers--but you can't hear it as well from outside of the boat by nature, so neighboring boats aren't pissed. I also have a Fusion 750 series head unit (which I just looked, and they've doubled in price since I bought mine). The Fusion has Bluetooth capability with an additional dongle you can purchase. My speakers are hooked up to a JL Audio MHD600/4 amp which I mounted on the left side of the storage bin in front of foot area. I attached a pic here of the amp. I unfortunately couldn't find pics of the speaker locations but if you want I'll take pics next time I am with the boat. It's tough to find a spot to mount a subwoofer on a 22. You could possibly mount it in the front storage area where my amp is, maybe on other side or in a custom enclosure, but I worry that that would be a bad spot acoustically. On the occasion a bass-heavy pop song comes on in my boat, I'm more than satisfied with the bass--but if you want even more, you might be able to squeeze M880 speakers in the boat. They weren't around when I put my system in, but could possibly fit.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    That's probably the best system for our boats. Minus the fusion deck. The newer 8.8s are too deep and won't fit. I have had to replace 2 fusion AV 750s in the past month. They aren't cheap in price and were installed in pretty pricey boats. The JL M series are more expensive than the CX series but well worth the premium and the 7.7s really sound great. Like others have said , too loud and interrupting others good time is annoying but there's nothing wrong with turning it up a bit in a long idle zone.
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Lol...I love the guys that complain about a loud sound system but run straight exhaust.........

don't get too upset, I do the same thing.

I'll be 72 next month.
    I'm not anti music, but I admit my tastes aren't the same as many younger folks.
    I'm not retired and still run a multi million $ business, and Elaine and I are still
    very active. That said, music isn't the main thing I listen to in a car.
    Probably what irritates me most while driving, is people who're putting out about
    200 dB of sound and I can't do anything about it.
    As far as the straight exhaust comment, I have Corsa mufflers on the transom
    and switchable exhaust, I do what I can to keep the noise down.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Kind of ironic to hear a bunch of guys with really loud boats bitching about loud stereos. What do you suppose the blowboaters and $2M lakefront home folks think about thru-hulls?

If the exhaust is turned up to 10 you clearly need a stereo that goes to 11. The bowrider has 8 speakers, a sub, and two amps, and it could use another sub IMO. Guess who has two thumbs and provides tunes at the swimming hole? This guy.

I know there are some details on stereo setups either here or on .org, but here are the Cliff notes:

- Good speakers, the more the better.
    - Big, efficient amp(s).
    - Quality wiring / installation.
    - Extra deep-cycle house battery, fuses, etc.
    - Remotes all over the boat and Bluetooth are a plus.
    - Find creative ways to secure loose hardware, panels, etc. Kill the annoying vibrations.

Don't let the wakeboard guys with $100k 40mph boats with a bunch of speakers win. Take one for the team and put in a killer system. It's the right thing to do.

Metallica.jpg
    "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter View Post
    Kind of ironic to hear a bunch of guys with really loud boats bitching about loud stereos. What do you suppose the blowboaters and $2M lakefront home folks think about thru-hulls?

If the exhaust is turned up to 10 you clearly need a stereo that goes to 11. The bowrider has 8 speakers, a sub, and two amps, and it could use another sub IMO. Guess who has two thumbs and provides tunes at the swimming hole? This guy.

I know there are some details on stereo setups either here or on .org, but here are the Cliff notes:

- Good speakers, the more the better.
    - Big, efficient amp(s).
    - Quality wiring / installation.
    - Extra deep-cycle house battery, fuses, etc.
    - Remotes all over the boat and Bluetooth are a plus.
    - Find creative ways to secure loose hardware, panels, etc. Kill the annoying vibrations.

Don't let the wakeboard guys with $100k 40mph boats with a bunch of speakers win. Take one for the team and put in a killer system. It's the right thing to do.

Metallica.jpg

I wonder if Castle Keep laws in Texas (for instance) would extend to this????
    I know the guys on the highway at the stop light are capable of generating
    road rage! ;-)
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

JL Audio. They make some incredible components. Just make sure to
    get the amp with it. My system is ridiculous but... Get what u want
    FISH HARD

Thread Information