Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: 18' Donzi vs 20' Cig vs 22' Donzi

How about a Cig with a jet drive? Can you say rooster tail lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Looks Like Fun!

What year is that? Looks like early 70s...
    Where is she?
    For sale?

Not sure how well one of those would run in the rough...
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

Trailer tag says New Jersey.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post
    I would get the Tuff too. I'd go outboard. The Howard 23 OS is a better hull than the 22 Classic in every way, very similar deadrise and has the pad. The Tuff has a pad as well, like every fast boat in that size range.
    Great post. It's always bugged me that the magazine tests never have pictures of the bottom. Couldn't the photographers get there before the boats go in the water? Bjorn put a pad on his 22 and runs 112 without crazy power. I have to think there is a trade-off in handling though. Especially those of us who take them off-shore. I like that the 22 Classic is a true 22' 6" hull with no beak, bustle or notch. That must give it a running surface equal to some 24s. I'm happy with running low 80s with a stock 525 burning 87 octane car gas.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    Great post. It's always bugged me that the magazine tests never have pictures of the bottom. Couldn't the photographers get there before the boats go in the water? Bjorn put a pad on his 22 and runs 112 without crazy power. I have to think there is a trade-off in handling though. Especially those of us who take them off-shore. I like that the 22 Classic is a true 22' 6" hull with no beak, bustle or notch. That must give it a running surface equal to some 24s. I'm happy with running low 80s with a stock 525 burning 87 octane car gas.
    Thanks Carl. Comment is thought provoking at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    How about a Cig with a jet drive? Can you say rooster tail lol
    The ones I see on the lake sounds as if they are running 100mph and pass them with no problem. Rooster tail....... hell yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post
    I would get the Tuff too. I'd go outboard. The Howard 23 OS is a better hull than the 22 Classic in every way, very similar deadrise and has the pad. The Tuff has a pad as well, like every fast boat in that size range.

The picture above is mine.

I put it together for a conversation about hull designs. The stats took a while to gather, but they are balls on accurate. I did it last year for a top speed discussion. A lot of the builders don't like to give photos.

I put it together for a conversation about hull designs. The stats took a while to gather, but they are balls on accurate. I did it last year for a top speed discussion. A lot of the builders don't like to give photos.
    Ah. Kudos to you then. Nice pics and hard info to find. Don't know why the builders would hide hull design when you can see it on their websites or showrooms or just request it. The Bernico is a little puzzling. Why a step so far forward?

I guess you have to separate handling from ride comfort. A true raised pad like Bjorn has will handle better because the edges of the pad will "grab" on tight turns at mid speeds. Now on ride comfort, it is certainly harsher than the round bottom 24 degree we all love.

I think there is a great compromise waiting for one of you 22 Classic owners to try which is a delta pad design. Pick up some speed while keeping the ride comfortable.

Some guys don't like the bottom all over the interweb. I never could understand why either. Takes a lot to splash something like that.

I guess you have to separate handling from ride comfort. A true raised pad like Bjorn has will handle better because the edges of the pad will "grab" on tight turns at mid speeds. Now on ride comfort, it is certainly harsher than the round bottom 24 degree we all love.

I think there is a great compromise waiting for one of you 22 Classic owners to try which is a delta pad design. Pick up some speed while keeping the ride comfortable.
    The pad must be just right as the boat has to balance on it. How does it effect the high banked turns these hulls carve? Obviously it will slam waves harder in big water. No pad in my future. I'm not chasing any records. I wonder if hull mods contributed to the 22 crash at the LOTO Shootout ...

The pad must be just right as the boat has to balance on it. How does it effect the high banked turns these hulls carve? Obviously it will slam waves harder in big water. No pad in my future. I'm not chasing any records. I wonder if hull mods contributed to the 22 crash at the LOTO Shootout ...
    It carves a lot harder and yep you need to know how to balance it which take some experience when you want to chase the big number. I always wondered if you put a 3" wide delta pad on a 22 Classic if it would pick up 4-5mph with no adverse effect on comfort. Someone out there in the world has probably tried it. Bjorn may come along for some comments.

Frigin Bjorn must have cajones the size of Kansas to pilot his 22 to 112mph. Scary fast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq6bSy4lfnU

Thanks for taking the time, it's a good illustration.

Ah. Kudos to you then. Nice pics and hard info to find. Don't know why the builders would hide hull design when you can see it on their websites or showrooms or just request it. The Bernico is a little puzzling. Why a step so far forward?
    The step allows for a progressive deadrise that changes as you go aft, deeper at the front, less at the rear. For offshore, in a straight line, it makes sense. As far as comfort and handling, there is no compromise really with the pad, it does everything better than a rounded keel. That's why a 22 Progression or 21 Tuff will outperform a 22 Classic in comfort, handling and speed. (Not knocking the 22C, it's an amazing boat, considering how old it is too). I prefer no steps on a smaller boat but for offshore racing in a straight line it makes sense.

I would love to see a 22C hull worked.

Other 22's that use progressive steps; Chaudron 22 and 25 (6' beam), Phantom 19 and 21. Really cool boats on the other side of the pond that are raced offshore, not just beach thumpers.

Phantom

Quote Originally Posted by Pat McPherson View Post
    I see on their web page 16, 21,and 28 ft but not the 24. Where are you seeing the 24?

A new boat is out of my price range but a 21 with a new LS motor would be really awesome!
    FB the 24 is running 93 with 250hp OB first run still fine tuning just saw a couple of vids nice looking boat
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information