Thread: Changes in 18 2+3

Changes in 18 2+3

I was hoping maybe mattyboy can help.
    The question is when did bottom strake stop extending to the back along with the sharp v. I always believed the last year was 68.
    I ran in to a person on the Facbook Donzi restoration society that just bought a 69 that has both. Thanks

the barrelback 18 or the original 2+3 had the sharp keel full strakes which were the first 235 or so hulls which means after that the 18 classic round keel shorter inner strake is mid 1968 the last hull made in 68 is hull 276 we have members with the classic 2+3 that are certified as 1968 they mave have made one or two more barrelbacks from the old hull molds later on. so the change was made in 68 but there may be a barrelback or two made after that change

this was also done with the benchseat hornet they made a production change to the 2+3 hornet in 68-69 ish then made a benchseat in 1971
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

hull 193 is a new classic round bottom short strake completed dec 1967

hull 223 and 225 are sharp bottom long strake both 68 boats

the new bottom also got a new top

the 69 thing may also be when it was first registered my hornet is a 68 but titled and registered as a 69
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    hull 193 is a new classic round bottom short strake completed dec 1967

hull 223 and 225 are sharp bottom long strake both 68 boats

the new bottom also got a new top

the 69 thing may also be when it was first registered my hornet is a 68 but titled and registered as a 69
    I knew I would get the info from you he says his boat is registered as a 69 thank you
    I will pass this on don't know. If you follow the Facebook threads
    Ralph

so they made a classic then kept making the barrelback then stopped the barrelback and went to the classic eric had a database on the barrelbacks I think the demarcation line was in the mid 230's as far as hull numbers but again they may have popped a barrelback or two after that

what hull number is yours?
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

so they made a classic then kept making the barrelback then stopped the barrelback and went to the classic eric had a database on the barrelbacks I think the demarcation line was in the mid 230's as far as hull numbers but again they may have popped a barrelback or two after that

what hull number is yours?
    The person I am referring to has not found his hull # yet and neither can I .
    i know my boat was probably 1 of the first 2+3s if not a prototype. It is a 66 triple hach my father bought from a guy that returned it to Venice marina lindenhurst NY. It already had Beverly put on the sides. The story goes he returned it because he couldn't make the payments. You had checked on this one before. How many yellow 66s could have been built?

I have a question...

The barrel back, sharp keeled boats seem to have had flat transoms...
    When the round keel came along, is that when Donzi adopted the multi-faceted transom?
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    The barrel back, sharp keeled boats seem to have had flat transoms...
    When the round keel came along, is that when Donzi adopted the multi-faceted transom?
    Mine is no were near flat half moon 3 doors top but yes flat transom

triple hatch < hull number 100 or so is that the original color scheme ? lucan ( candy apple red) red was very popular in the early 18s so were mono chrome hulls all red green yellow with a white stripe was your boat an eaton badged Volvo drive?
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

triple hatch < hull number 100 or so is that the original color scheme ? lucan ( candy apple red) red was very popular in the early 18s so were mono chrome hulls all red green yellow with a white stripe was your boat an eaton badged Volvo drive?
    My boat was yellow top and bottom black interior and stripe 66 triple hatch 18 full not a badged Volvo Eaton outdrive 165 interceptor

ran thru the records again there are 15 recorded boats that were all yellow bottom sides and deck with black stripes all were 200 or higher HP motors none were sold to Venice.

other info

very early boats including the brochure boat had true eaton drives eaton drives were weak and the new Volvo 200 was better Eaton took the Volvo on as a distributor and was the main choice for power in the donzi until late 66 early 67 when HM came on the seen with their ford motors and a Volvo drive with their badge on it Volvo badged drives don't appear until 68-69 with the 250 drive

Venice was a big donzi dealer on the island several well known classics came out of there including "the Sting"

your 18 is one of the many that is missing from the records
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

ran thru the records again there are 15 recorded boats that were all yellow bottom sides and deck with black stripes all were 200 or higher HP motors none were sold to Venice.

other info

very early boats including the brochure boat had true eaton drives eaton drives were weak and the new Volvo 200 was better Eaton took the Volvo on as a distributor and was the main choice for power in the donzi until late 66 early 67 when HM came on the seen with their ford motors and a Volvo drive with their badge on it Volvo badged drives don't appear until 68-69 with the 250 drive

Venice was a big donzi dealer on the island several well known classics came out of there including "the Sting"

your 18 is one of the many that is missing from the records
    My dad bought it in 66 from Venice it is a good possibility that the person that originally ordered it did not buy it from Venice but returned it there who knows.
    I can tell you that the boat had been with me since 66 I know every inch of that boat since then. The boat was an Eaton series 16 2 blade aluminum prop you could flip the unit completely upside down to replace props and or shear pins. I had it apart 100s of times. I converted it to the Volvo 280 myself. We put the first 302 ford in it in 1973. After so many engines through the years now running sbc ZZ383
    with a Solas 23 and full external hydraulic steering I made

Thread Information