Thread: 350 Mag engine wake up

350 Mag engine wake up

I now have about 60 hours on my Jasper 350 mag and want to wake it up with a cam and set of heads. Any suggestions. Also I thinking about reprogramming the ecu .

copy and paste from my post on OSO

If you have an EFI engine, I'd consult whom ever is going to reprogram it. Builders that reprogram / build EFI engines will have a proven package. Changing the cam and heads then trying to reprogram the ECU after to match after is vary difficult unless done on a dyno. With a carb engine, you have many more options...
    A good high flow exhaust system is always a great place to start to wake up any engine...
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

Do you know of someone I can contact about this ?

Before you make modifications , make sure your drive and steering can handle the upgrades .
    The best bang for the buck would be a whipple as they can handle the ecm re-flash. Heads and cam may get you 50-60 horsepower whereas a whipple will get you around 75-125 horsepower . Of course there is a cost, and after it's all said and done, you very well might wish you had left it a stock reliable setup .Going with a stainless marine or other lighter weight exhaust set up and a lab finished prop will get you a few more mph and leave a lot of extra cash for gas !! Just my 2 cents
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Very good advise!

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
    Before you make modifications , make sure your drive and steering can handle the upgrades .
    The best bang for the buck would be a whipple as they can handle the ecm re-flash. Heads and cam may get you 50-60 horsepower whereas a whipple will get you around 75-125 horsepower . Of course there is a cost, and after it's all said and done, you very well might wish you had left it a stock reliable setup .Going with a stainless marine or other lighter weight exhaust set up and a lab finished prop will get you a few more mph and leave a lot of extra cash for gas !! Just my 2 cents
    Very good advise!
    I'd also go with the exhaust and prop first. After years of modifying engines looking for that extra 5-7 miles per hour, I've learned stock power is best!

If you have a bravo drive then adding 100HP not an issue.

As for ECU programming, there is a guy in New Orleans that I used years ago. I think it's Mark at Precision marine or some thing like that. You can post in General Q&A on OSO and get 15 replies in a day
    Thank you, Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Pat McPherson View Post
    Very good advise!
    I'd also go with the exhaust and prop first. After years of modifying engines looking for that extra 5-7 miles per hour, I've learned stock power is best!

If you have a bravo drive then adding 100HP not an issue.

As for ECU programming, there is a guy in New Orleans that I used years ago. I think it's Mark at Precision marine or some thing like that. You can post in General Q&A on OSO and get 15 replies in a day
    I have an alpha gen II for an outdrive. Maybe I need to sell my 67 Convertible mustang shelby clone...and get a Classic 22 to put next to my Z22BR.

Quote Originally Posted by Donzi Z22 View Post
    I have an alpha gen II for an outdrive. Maybe I need to sell my 67 Convertible mustang shelby clone...and get a Classic 22 to put next to my Z22BR.

If you want to go fast on the water, that's a great idea...
    Thank you, Patrick

Thread Information