Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heading Toronto - Miami- Toronto

Heading Toronto - Miami- Toronto

The trip is starting this week (Friday AM) and we'll be heading down I79 - I77 - I95 to go get the Formula Jr project.

My wife want to make this a "vacation" and so we are dragging our 16 y/o son along who would rather be on his PS4 video game.

I'm thinking a first stop just north of Charlotte NC.... Any suggestions?

Also, I'm in need ideas besides mini golf for when we get near Miami (Jupiter) that might interest my son. I'm sure we'll find a beach at some point but, I hope nobody call Greenpeace as I'll look like I need to be pulled back out to sea. So again, any suggestions/ideas?

Pretty sure we'll be northbound again Thursday Sept 1st.
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Daytona/Orlando/Cocco Beach

As you come through Daytona you can stop at the speedway and go through the museum. It's right off the interstate and worth the stop. You can also pick up I-4 West in Daytona and head to Orlando, the largest tourist trap in the world. If he's 16 he'll like Universal Studios theme parks and Epcot. There are also a lot of other things that 16 year old's like in the Disney area and it's less than an hour from I-95. South of Daytona is Cape Canaveral in the Coco Beach area. Go do the Kennedy Space Center Tour. If your son doesn't like it you will. Take Route 1 south from there and you'll find a bunch of places to stay with activities like kayaking or paddle boarding. There are about a million charter boats for fishing too.

Once you get to Miami head out to South Beach. There's enough going on there to keep any 16 old busy (drooling). Tons of shopping to keep your wife busy too.

There's a lot more. Do a quick search online and you'll find a lot. And if you feel like coming to Tampa let me know and we can splash the 18.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

pretty sure you need to hit I-26 between 77 and 95....
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Now is the time to put faces to names
    George is less than an hour from Orlando
    Madpoodle and Buizilla are Miami boys
    Several others on the way down too.
    I could be on your route too. Maybe meet for a coffee just off the 400..Ed

Yep, if you go north on the Turnpike at Ft. Pierce (or earlier) it'll be very close to the Orlando attractions
    as you pass through. Also, I'm near the north terminus of the Turnpike at Leesburg. From Leesburg, it's
    just 70 miles to Daytona. Nice beach you can drive on and a tour of the Speedway.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    pretty sure you need to hit I-26 between 77 and 95....
    +1

Ken

Thanks guys,
    Yes this is the general route (not meant to be an exact synopsis of our travels).

We have done the "Orlando mouse traps" and Universal when the kids were younger. Still hashing out if we want to see the updated "Harry Potter" area.... Certainly don't want to spend too much time in Orlando (if any). I LOVE the Kennedy Space Center and could easily spend a day there ... However, I'm alone in that sentiment and similarly, I have been forbidden to go anywhere near Daytona. After retirement from 20 years of my racing, my wife refuses to go to another track! How about a nice FLA style by the ocean/pool bar/recreation type place to relax?

Any good alligator farms? How about a public shooting range (the kind where they rent you the hardware)? ...Canadian boys need to learn about this GUN thing.... Any cool Museums? Has anyone been to the USS North Carolina (BB-55) in Wilmington, NC?

Looks like we are returning through the easterly route and passing through New Jersey.... possibly swinging by Cape May.
    Sean Conroy,

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Gator Farm?

Quote Originally Posted by woobs View Post

Any good alligator farms? How about a public shooting range (the kind where they rent you the hardware)? ...Canadian boys need to learn about this GUN thing.... Any cool Museums? Has anyone been to the USS North Carolina (BB-55) in Wilmington, NC?
    There's a Gator Farm in St. Augustine. You're passing right by there so it could be a stop. The plus is that St. Augustine is a great little town. Most wives love it. The fort there is the oldest building in North America and it's worth wandering through. There are some great little pubs in town and it's a very "non-Florida" kind of place as most of it pre-dates the advent of air-conditioning and all of the development that came after. It's another worth-while stop and if your wife likes shopping there's an outlet mall right by I-95.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold

Are you coming to the Jupiter area, or Miami? They are about 90 miles apart. I am about 15 miles north of Jupiter?

Steve

Shooting range

There's a shooting range on just about every corner in FL and most of them rent guns and head phones. Have fun!

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold

Make sure you pick up a SunPass. There are a zillion toll roads in Florida.
    The SunPass will save you $ and you won't have to stop at any pay booths.

https://www.sunpass.com/index
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Here's a compromise for you!
    The Don Garlets dragster museum is on I-75 just south of Ocala.
    It's a one-of-a-kind museum w/many famous dragster from over
    the decades, plus an excellent collection of pre, and post war Fords.
    ...and you go right by my place getting there......
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Beach - Check
    Mini golf - Check
    gator farm - Check
    gun range - Check
    antiques - Check
    Sun Pass - Check
    Pubs - Check
    Drag car museum - I'd like to but, I'm getting a boat and would still like to stay married.

We are staying near Jupiter but, the Formula Jr. I'm picking up is in Miami.
    Hey, any pre-season Dolphins action?

If we venture inland and away from the coast... George, you will definitely be on the agenda

USS North Carolina - ?

Can't decide whether to go up the coast through Cape May or stay on I 95 into DC and possibly do the Smithsonian at Dulles...

Cape May - ?
    DC - ?
    Sean Conroy,

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Here's a compromise for you!
    The Don Garlets dragster museum is on I-75 just south of Ocala.
    It's a one-of-a-kind museum w/many famous dragster from over
    the decades, plus an excellent collection of pre, and post war Fords.
    ...and you go right by my place getting there......
    if you get to the Museum, at the outer walkway curb on the Walk of Fame section is 2 bricks with me and my brothers names on them..
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

If you decide to go this way, let me know. Can probably get you a view of Annapolis from the Cig if you like.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Thread Information