Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: donzi blackhawk with a weiand super charger 502

donzi blackhawk with a weiand super charger 502

Gents

Looking at a 95 blackhawk with a weiand super charger on a 502 mag. Can anyone give me some advice about this set up? Weiand super chargers good/bad?

Thanks

JimSum

Quote Originally Posted by jimsum View Post
    Gents

Looking at a 95 blackhawk with a weiand super charger on a 502 mag. Can anyone give me some advice about this set up? Weiand super chargers good/bad?

Thanks

JimSum
    Is it the old 525sc setup? With a 502 and stock merc boost I'd think it would be around 550hp. I assume they dumped the fuel injection and it has a carb? Hatch is cut? The old 525sc was reliable. I'd think the only issues are the potential hatch cut may make it less marketable in the long run. Also the efi programming made shifting the Blackhawk without stalling. It might have a high idle to deal with shifting which wouldn't be the best on the gears.

Is it a limited edition? There was one that I recall with this setup but the Blackhawk was swapped for a shorty bravo

Dons Blackhawk Limited

Quote Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post
    Is it the old 525sc setup? With a 502 and stock merc boost I'd think it would be around 550hp. I assume they dumped the fuel injection and it has a carb? Hatch is cut? The old 525sc was reliable. I'd think the only issues are the potential hatch cut may make it less marketable in the long run. Also the efi programming made shifting the Blackhawk without stalling. It might have a high idle to deal with shifting which wouldn't be the best on the gears.

Is it a limited edition? There was one that I recall with this setup but the Blackhawk was swapped for a shorty bravo
    Thanks much for the info and feed back.

It is the limited with a large air scope on the hatch.

Here is what I know about the boat from the owner. (Boat name: Rum Runner)

It is a 502 mag. With a weiand super charger which they also used in that time
    Frame sorry to disappoint, the motor also has AFR. Aluminum performance heads, roller cam shaft upgrade, performance ignition, high flow oil pump and heavy duty oil cooler.
    The super charger is set up with the standard pulley which will put out about 4# boost, I also have the overdrive pulley that will put out about 6# boost.

Power is a 502" mercruiser magnum motor which makes about 550 horse with a mercruiser sport master out drive, power steering , 27" pitch prop.

Thanks again this has been most helpful.

I know the boat.

Put the engine set-up aside for a moment, the BHLE was designed for the Blackhawk drive. I've driven this hull with a standard Bravo and the handling was abysmal.

I am also familiar with the Sportmaster. And the IMCO Shorty. Not the right drive for this boat.

The supercharger setup can be sorted out, but the lack of the right drive setup can not.

My two bits.

Quote Originally Posted by roadtrip se View Post
    I know the boat.

Put the engine set-up aside for a moment, the BHLE was designed for the Blackhawk drive. I've driven this hull with a standard Bravo and the handling was abysmal.

I am also familiar with the Sportmaster. And the IMCO Shorty. Not the right drive for this boat.

The supercharger setup can be sorted out, but the lack of the right drive setup can not.

My two bits.
    Thanks much; most helpful

Other than the blackhawk drive (which seems to be hard to find as well as the props) what would you recommend for this setup. Curius as I bought the fore mentioned boat a month ago (yup I read this thread first too).

I have only had her out three times (one with the previous owner before purchase) and did not notice anything horrible about the handling. I am defintly still getting used to her (in storage now for winter) and have not made any high speed runs so maybe they have still to show themselves.

Most of my prior experience was on a 24' 97 Outlaw and the big difference is how the Donzi seems to roll before it turns. I attributed this to the reductuon in width of the boat and hull design.

My fathers friend owned one in the late 1990's on Pewaukee lake in WI (Hells Bells) and the 95 Blackhawk edition has always been on my must own before I die list. She is absolutley gorgeous btw. I am a little torn between thinking like purist on the hood scoop, but am loving the sound of the motor. The previous owner stated it spent most of its time in his garage and from the looks of it he was right.

I had been searching for a 22 Classic at the time when my wife found this on Craigslist at the right price. God I love that woman.

Thanks for any imput you have, new guy to the forum here.

20161013_140514~2.jpg

Sorry for the fade its my computer's wallpaper

Envious. Very beautiful boat. Good luck and stay safe.

Sweet!

Sweet 22. CAREFULL what you polish that gold hardware with. It mag come off. Use something mild like the same thing you polish the hull with.
    I have far too many boats, just ask my Wife.
    If you have something of great quality, and you take care of it, it will last forever.
    Never Economise on Luxuries

Thanks for the advice! The gold has some wear but pretty decent shape overall.

Find a BH drive and bolt it on..
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Good luck with the boat ! If you find a Blackhawk drive , you will also want to upgrade the 150 kplanes that came standard , to the 280 plates. They make a world of difference.
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Quote Originally Posted by ClintB View Post
    I had been searching for a 22 Classic at the time when my wife found this on Craigslist at the right price. God I love that woman. Thanks for any imput you have, new guy to the forum here.
    What state are you in? Don't see many new guys join these days. Welcome and good luck with it.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    What state are you in? Don't see many new guys join these days. Welcome and good luck with it.
    He is from Wisconsin...Ed

Wanted to say thanks to Roadtrip for replying to a message I sent him pertaining to my original question.

Pismo, if you have a extra blackhawk drive taking room up in your garage let me know! Honestly if anyone see's one for a reasonable price w/props shoot me a message. Speaking of that, what is a reasonable price? I looked and didnt see any, but I didn't do a exhaustive search (I am guessing they are not a normal ebay item ). I will check around this winter, but the moat likely scenario is I will be running it with what it has next summer.

I live in Green Bay and took her out a couple times on the river and one small foray into the bay so far.

Seems like a nice forum with knowledgable people. I hope to learn a lot, but you wont see me posting much since I dont think I have a lot to offer advice wise. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Thread Information