Thread: Hey George

Hey George

I know you're interested in OLD aviation. For decades we had "FIFI", the only B-29 flying in the world. Now we have "Doc", the second B-29 flying. John

This plane ..as well as "FIFI" is owned by the "Confederate Air Force"...Woops: MY BAD..Now the "Comerative Air Force".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CscShi3BV8Q
    Last edited by DonziJon; 08-11-2016 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Add Info
    Avatar: RELIANCE (1903) The Largest single masted sailing yacht ever built (Until 2004)...with over 16,000 square feet of sail. Successful Americas Cup Defender.

I've been following "Doc" to some extent. I saw the other day it got
    its airworthiness certificate.
    It looks really good!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

B-29 fifi

I got to see FIFI at Oshkosh in 1989 right after I got my Private .(Just Braggin). Those with a Pilots License had MUCH more latitude on the field to get close to the planes.

We could just walk up to the plane and touch it. We walked up into the Bomb Bay (FIFI) which was open. There were oil absorbent bags everywhere stacked up inside the fuselage in the bomb bay. Oil dripping everywhere. Drip pans under the plane on the ground. Yet the plane flew in ..........and is still flying today.. DJ
    Avatar: RELIANCE (1903) The Largest single masted sailing yacht ever built (Until 2004)...with over 16,000 square feet of sail. Successful Americas Cup Defender.

I think all round engines leak.....
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

BTW: George: Round Engines were NOT carried in the Bomb Bay:

I just remembered. I have friend going back to 1958. He has been an aviation enthusiast and aircraft owner for a long time. Amphibians. A few years ago he was up in New Hampshire getting his Lake Amphibian upgraded at Laconia.

He had a slurry..of something ...applied all over the lower fuselage .. inside. He said it was VERY expensive but was necessary. It seeps in to all the seams and rivet holes to prevent corrosion.

I think FIFI was being spritzed with this stuff for the same reason...it was just "running off". What do you think....DJ

Could have been the rather extensive hydraulic system.
    What I meant previously was oil can come from anywhere
    from the engines and slung onto the fuselage by the props.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

My original thought (1989) was that hydraulic fluid was leaking from everywhere. Hydraulic lines should NOT have leaks. You don't FLY if you have leaks. AIR everywhere in the lines. NO FLY: IMHO

SO: If you have leaks...you better have really big backup fluid tanks ....Maybe that's it...WHO Knows. I love these old planes. John

Just been talking bout this with close friend. Retired navy 20 years. He said if it wasn't leaking it wasn't safe....

I saw the movies those planes flew with bullet holes and redundant systems that kept them flying . . .

I do recall that hydraulic components will suffer partial seal failure if
    not used frequently......These planes are hardly used at all,
    therefore leaks.
    i.e., a Southwest 737 wouldn't have a leaking hydraulic system.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Thread Information