Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Need a cam recommendation for a Ford 302 HO

THE ONLY LIMITATION might be the spring pressure. What were the heads part number
    Scars are tatoo's of the fearless

Quote Originally Posted by turbo2256 View Post
    THE ONLY LIMITATION might be the spring pressure. What were the heads part number
    I won't be buying the long block until next February or so. ATK isn't non-dealer friendly for questions and what I dragged out of them wasn't much. The ATK motor has new valve springs so Lunati recommended I check the heads on the trashed motor for binding at the cam specified lift and then compare head marks.

John C

Quote Originally Posted by John C in PA View Post
    I won't be buying the long block until next February or so. ATK isn't non-dealer friendly for questions and what I dragged out of them wasn't much. The ATK motor has new valve springs so Lunati recommended I check the heads on the trashed motor for binding at the cam specified lift and then compare head marks.

John C
    I threw my stock heads away, so I can't say for certain but I would assume they can handle the lift. The Lunati cam kit comes with springs and lifters so if you go that route you should change them out. The vacuum secondaries don't require a separate connection, they sense vacuum from the manifold through the baseplate on the carb. You won't get nearly as much benefit from the cam without improved heads. The GT40(P) are much improved over the standard casting and will get the most from the Lunati cam. Just something to consider.

the gt 40 P head's spark plugs have a different angle they are more straight in than the non P heads and the standard heads which have the plugs at a greater angle so they can have clearance issue with the exhaust runners and casting case on some marine exhaust manifolds
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

For anyone following, I expect to go this direction:

1) ATK marine long block for my model year. They have no idea if it's a std or HO (unlikely) cam. Two bolt mains (too bad).

2) a 450 cfm Holley Marine 4160 4 barrel with vacuum secondaries jetted for a Ford 302 stock up to a mild cam.

3) Lunati VooDoo flat tappet cam. .466/.483. Ski boat and mild towing . Idle to 5 grand . Per Lunati, since the motor has never run I can use the new motor lifters and pushrods without buying theirs.

4) Summit Racing Stage 1 dual plane intake manifold. Holley likes phenolic plastic open spacers.

Comments or suggestions? Remember, nuttin' involving major bucks.

John C
    Last edited by John C in PA; 07-27-2016 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Updated info
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford
    Windshields are for Sissies!!!

Warranty from ATK ?

Yes, Following your plan for educational purposes.
    If you swap the cam do you still get a warranty?
    Will ATK do the cam swap or are you doing that?
    What heads come on the ATK long block? maybe I missed that in a previous post...
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

Quote Originally Posted by Pat McPherson View Post
    Yes, Following your plan for educational purposes.
    If you swap the cam do you still get a warranty?
    Will ATK do the cam swap or are you doing that?
    What heads come on the ATK long block? maybe I missed that in a previous post...
    Pat,

> as best I can decipher the warranty yes, except if the cam, or other non-ATK parts, caused the failure. Reasonable to me. I'm not of course, gonna tell them.

> ATK didn't know what cam THEY install, although I suspect it's a stock 302. Techie did say it's a flat tappet. ATK has one model 302 Ford marine motor and that's all they will ship. I tried to get a credit if they ship headless (mine were replaced not too many hours ago) but nope. No charges. And it's been waaaaaay too long since I replaced a cam or rebuilt a motor so my shop is doing it. This could change, however.

>re: the heads are stock rebuilt. Probably, if I recall F7E like mine.

John C
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford

tHAT SHOULD BE e7 HEADS about the worst flowing SBF head. They might be good for about 300 HP but to do it might cost a bit of low end. Ported a set of E7s could produce around 400 HP and have a very wide power band. Aftermarket aluminum heads work best on a 351ish with the smaller 165 170 cc ports. They can produce more power on a 302 but require running at a higher RPM with much loss in low end and mid range compaired to factory ported iron. iTS ALL ABOUT BALLANCING AIR FLOW TO THE DESIRED rpm RANGE which in a boat has much to do with the RPM range the outdrive can handle. To large of a head on an engine screws with air intake velocities and effective filling of the cylinder in other words wont flow the advertized air flow.
    Bolt down heads should handle the spring pressue heads with pressed in studs might not.
    Scars are tatoo's of the fearless

tHAT SHOULD BE e7 HEADS about the worst flowing SBF head. They might be good for about 300 HP but to do it might cost a bit of low end. Ported a set of E7s could produce around 400 HP and have a very wide power band. Aftermarket aluminum heads work best on a 351ish with the smaller 165 170 cc ports. They can produce more power on a 302 but require running at a higher RPM with much loss in low end and mid range compaired to factory ported iron. iTS ALL ABOUT BALLANCING AIR FLOW TO THE DESIRED rpm RANGE which in a boat has much to do with the RPM range the outdrive can handle. To large of a head on an engine screws with air intake velocities and effective filling of the cylinder in other words wont flow the advertized air flow.
    Bolt down heads should handle the spring pressue heads with pressed in studs might not.
    Considering this is a budget build using a mild upgrade cam, 5 grand redline, and 9:1 CR, it's not worth the time, effort and money to pull and port the reman heads, deck them to increase CR, and port match/smooth. I may gasket match the intake manifold and smooth the runners over the Winter. For this build I don't think I'm going to run out of air.

John C
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford

tHAT SHOULD BE e7 HEADS about the worst flowing SBF head.
    I won't have the carcass home for another few weeks to verify but I wrote down one time the heads are E7TE.

John C
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford

Thread Information