Thread: 22 ZX/Bravo Owners, Please Help

22 ZX/Bravo Owners, Please Help

If you've got this combo, preferably a non step hull, could you please take a look at your aft drive ram pin and tell me which position its in (I.e. pin to the stern spacer towards bow, or vice versa)? This can be observed by looking at the ram ends in comparison with the oblong boss on the drive unit.

I just finished a gimbal bearing/bellows job and noticed the Mercrusier manual specifies that Bravo Ones should have the semi circular spacer positioned towards the bow, mine was in the opposite position which Merc states is for Bravo 2 and 3 only.

I can't tell if Donzi set it this way on purpose or if a prior servicer swapped positions unknowingly.

Thanks

OK , you've got me scratching my head now . I admit that as far as I recall mine (on a B3) has always been 'to the stern' , not the bow , but if it is designed to have a function how is that function different on different drives ?

If someone can answer this in a convincing manner I'm hoping that it will be one of the guys I consider 'know its' , not know it alls .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

From what I can tell the position of the spacer limits how far in the drive can be trimmed with the rams bottomed out. Going by the service manual, it appears Merc allows Bravo Ones to trim in further than Twos or Threes for whatever reason.

If your spacer is positioned in the stern position (I.e. your trim pin is closest to the bow), then your setup matches the merc manual recommendation for a B3.

Bravo 1 is forward.

I think its more to limit fully extended up so it stops before the gimbal.
    2000 28ZX Scorpion SOLD
    1979 Criterion
    1986 Z29

RED/WHITE
    TWIN SBC 330HP
    ALPHA 1'S
    Mcleod design Interior

The "celery stalk" spacer goes forward of the pin on a Bravo and Bravo 2 and to the rear of a Bravo 3 according to my mechanic I just called. This allows the drive to trim a little further down with the Bravo and B2 for quicker planing.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    The "celery stalk" spacer goes forward of the pin on a Bravo and Bravo 2 and to the rear of a Bravo 3 according to my mechanic I just called. This allows the drive to trim a little further down with the Bravo and B2 for quicker planing.
    That makes sense 'cause there sure isn't any problem getting on plane with a B3
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Thanks for the replys all, glad I noticed this and corrected it. My holeshot does seem considerably better now.

Thread Information