Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Top Deck available anwhere or 18 Classic?

Top Deck available anwhere or 18 Classic?

Does anyone know of a top deck available for an 18 classic?

I had a little problem this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Holy $hit!!! Sorry about your boat. What happened? Fuel leak?

Quote Originally Posted by Capevettes View Post
    Holy $hit!!! Sorry about your boat. What happened? Fuel leak?
    No fuel leak. Fire department is supposing lightning hitting the dock and setting the cover on fire, but they are investigating.

I had no battery in the boat, no power to the dock. We did have a heavy lightning storm at the time.

Wow, that's horrible--really sorry, man.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

We have lived in this house on 2/3 of an acre for almost 8 years. The property has been hit 4 times by lightening. So sorry for your loss.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

Sorry to see this.

Tragic.

Ken

Yikes, glad no one was hurt. You may be far better off taking the insurance settlement and buying a mint 18. There are some very nice one's out there. I can't imagine the smell will ever leave the glass if you restore it.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    Yikes, glad no one was hurt. You may be far better off taking the insurance settlement and buying a mint 18. There are some very nice one's out there. I can't imagine the smell will ever leave the glass if you restore it.
    Had similar thoughts, and also wondered if there's a risk that the heat compromised the glass even where it's not burned/singed. I don't know, but I'd be particularly cautious about the hull to deck joint region of the hull, if trying to attach a new deck to it.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

OMG , that's a disaster . I do feel for you , especially considering it looks like it was a very nice boat . (gotta love that dark blue )

I hate to say it but I'd consider it a write-off . The cost to fix everything , even if you could find a good deck still doesn't take into account the chemical and structural changes to the glass in the hull . The heat produced in a fiberglass boat fire is intense and it's unlikely that there will be much in the hull from the helm station back that hasn't had the resin leave the glass and burn , and then the glass fabric itself is no good either .

As distraught as you must be I hope that it all works out in the end for you .

(I HATE lightning ! ... f_inscreenname I have a friend who's grandfather was struck by lightning 3 times in his life . He actually died from old age ! )
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    (I HATE lightning ! ... f_inscreenname I have a friend who's grandfather was struck by lightning 3 times in his life . He actually died from old age ! )
    Saw it happen 3 times and one other time I'm positive and then there is 2 other times it was suspected and that's my property. All my neighbors have either lost trees or electronics because of lightening. Even at the hood's boat ramp I was pulling my boat as a quick summer storm was coming. I was driving off and seconds later lightening dropped a tree across the ramp. We live on a north/south point with a river running east/west on one side and the bay on the other. IMHO Weather gets wound up coming down the river and the point sticking out acts like a lightening rod. Not to mention Bethlehem Steel was on the other side of the river for a 100 years and I'm sure the whole area has a layer of steel dust to add to the attraction.

Like said the Donzi is a loss. I'm sure there is some parts to be salvaged buts that's about all. So sad.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

Sorry to see this

What about putting a wooden deck on it?

Much would ride on the condition of the port side gunwale and the top of the transom, which are out of view in the picture. But, if the shape is still there the hull could be glass re-enforced and supported by futtocks and beams (just like a woody boat).

The lower hull was protected by the water and by the look of the peeling registration numbers the starboard side hasn't seen too much heat.

If you get the insurance for a new boat and have zero investment in this wreck to start... why not?
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Donzi will make one for you. Sit down when you get the quote.
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

The Fire Marshal investigator has narrowed it down to a lightning strike at the road which destroyed the transformer and followed through the electrical to the lift control box. The box caught fire and set the touchless cover on fire. As it burnt it set the boat cover I had on the boat to keep bug crap off. Over the engine it looks worse as much of the pealing you see is melted acrylic from the cover.

the liner and deck is mostly gone. The hull looks good with possible laying a sheet on each side of the cockpit. Engine just under fresh water. Hoses in the engine compartment even look good with some minor bubbles on 2 hoses. Helm and throttle shot. Seats are in heaven.

This is what it looked like before Mother Nature.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information