Thread: Trim tabs for 1967 Ski Sporter with V-Drive

Trim tabs for 1967 Ski Sporter with V-Drive

Have a rare 67 Ski Sporter with V-drive and big rudder. It really needs trim tabs since I cannot trim. What opinion for proper tabs.

Just curious, why do you feel you need them?

My '67 Ski Sporter (slightly different animal - Volvo I/O, no trim) had them - I NEVER used them.
    1967 Ski Sporter (sold)
    2004 40th Anniversary Edition 18

----Trim tabs put more hull in the water when used equally (left and right). With a V-drive you already have too much hull in the water because of the prop angle. Trim tabs would only bury the hull more......Bill S

IMO trim tabs are important to have on any V hulled boat.
    I haven't been on one yet that didn't heel into a beam wind (fixed with the flick of a switch)
    Uneven passenger load , no matter how hard you try (fixed with the flick of a switch)
    Or being caught out in really nasty conditions that preclude being able to get on a plane where negative trim isn't enough and you want to keep you bow down and mush through the big oncoming seas to get back to port a little bit faster .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?71177-T

I've owned a 18 foot v-drive for 25 years. At wide open throttle in glassy water it does run nose down. The more chop you have the less problem it is. You will never need trim tabs at wot. But at 30-35 mph cruise speed that thing will porpoise like a dolphin. You need trim tabs now.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    IMO trim tabs are important to have on any V hulled boat.
    I haven't been on one yet that didn't heel into a beam wind (fixed with the flick of a switch)
    Uneven passenger load , no matter how hard you try (fixed with the flick of a switch)
    Or being caught out in really nasty conditions that preclude being able to get on a plane where negative trim isn't enough and you want to keep you bow down and mush through the big oncoming seas to get back to port a little bit faster .
    I completely agree with all these reasons to have tabs. After installing my first set in 1974 on my 1971 18' Donzi, I made sure to have them on every V hull boat since then - including an 18' Donzi V drive that I once had.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

What brand or what actual tabs should I consider

Thread Information