Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FENDERS!!!! .... for those of you that asked

FENDERS!!!! .... for those of you that asked

Well, we're nothing here if not accommodating so, as was asked on the dock line thread
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...Dock-Line-Size
    here is a thread for fenders! I'm not too proud to post it. (not sure if it belongs in the Donzi performance section... but that's where the dock line thread is)

I suppose we can talk about type, material, shape, size, colour, inflation, covers, method of hanging, storage of, and anything else you want to discuss. But, as was pointed out... it's a good idea to hang your fenders with bungee cord

Will the big question be: Mermaids or skulls?

Have at er'....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

I'll even start!

My woody generally uses 3 (sometimes 4) inflatable fenders of the cylindrical type, hung with pre set nylon hangers on dedicated fender cleats. Pretty standard stuff really given the vintage of the boat and the application. I have not used covers but, have thought about it.... Some of my peers like the rope fenders however, I feel they are for "older" boat designs and not the fabulous "plastic" 1970's. Storage is not an issue in this boat.

My 18 2+3 was a different kettle of fish with its low freeboard. I was always looking for "bent" fenders to fold over the gunwale. Also with no dedicated fender cleat it was always a different solution to find a place to hang them (grab rail, tow bar and deck eye). I like the single plunge pin for cleat hangers but did not have them installed on this boat. Storage... in an 18. really?

Another issue when you use a waterway with a lock system is the fending off during lock through. It seems you need to be all-over at once and whatever motionless passenger in the boat beside you will be happy to watch things bump. scrape and rub while they silently feign ignorance. I sometimes wonder if a couple of those big orange ball type fenders would do the trick.... but, then storage would really be an issue!
    Sean Conroy,

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

I love it when people are so proud of their fenders that they run around all day with them dangling over the side !
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Damn you Woobs. I was trying to stay out of the dock line thread....then tow line thread....now you had to start a fender thread. A man can only take so much.

I use to use the ones in your 3rd pic, then I switched to the flat ones in your 5th pic. One of those types is necessary to properly protect a boat with low freeboard, like the Classic. I highly recommend the flat ones. I have a pair of the small ones for the back and the larger ones for the front. They stay in place, are easy to store, are noticeably lighter than a standard fender and are the lowest cost fenders you'll find. The only thing I don't like is that they don't seal the seams, so I have to drain some water out after using them, if they've been hitting the water....which they always do. .....and don't buy the white ones. Get dirty fast and impossible to fully clean.

I'm so ashamed I posted.....I'm so weak.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    I love it when people are so proud of their fenders that they run around all day with them dangling over the side !
    That and leaving the bow line attached to the front lifting ring.

........Oh, oh...........now I've just pissed off a bunch of Classic owners.....

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    As much as this may at first glance to be "slovenly seamanship", you must remember that many boats are designed to leave the fenders dangling.... and only slightly retracted when underweigh by means of tightening a line inside the cockpit. From a previous discussion on the subject, This may not have been a popular design throughout the U.S.A however, they still came from the factories that way. (and not just wooden boats)

My boat had this feature when new but, I don't like the look (and the sneers of salty sailors) so, I removed all traces of the system when I did my restoration.

Below: a Century (made in USA) and a Greavette (made in Canada) sporting "perma-fenders".
    Sean Conroy,

Quote Originally Posted by woobs View Post
    As much as this may at first glance to be "slovenly seamanship", you must remember that many boats are designed to leave the fenders dangling.... and only slightly retracted when underweigh by means of tightening a line inside the cockpit. From a previous discussion on the subject, This may not have been a popular design throughout the U.S.A however, they still came from the factories that way. (and not just wooden boats)

My boat had this feature when new but, I don't like the look (and the sneers of salty sailors) so, I removed all traces of the system when I did my restoration.

Below: a Century (made in USA) and a Greavette (made in Canada) sporting "perma-fenders".
    Of course , that wasn't quite the arrangement I was talking about
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Type in the third pic.

Ken

A Donzi Classic has almost no deck height. This creates a dilemma when it comes to hanging fenders for rafting up or for protection at the dock. I am familiar with the low freeboard fender designs such as my first pic. This design still won't prevent a larger boat from riding up over it or prevent the boat from slipping under a dock intended for larger boats. My second pic shows what would be a more desirable solution but as pictured it is not practical. Is there a way to make this work? Is there a low freeboard fender that rises higher than the usual ones. What are you guys using for raft-ups etc.?
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I found these bungees at Home Depot.
    Very clever design and is very easy to adjust.
    And, Yeller and Carl may both like them.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

For my old 16 and my Corsican - both low profile with grab bars - I found the best setup is mooring style buoys used as fenders and attached to bumper buddy plastic clips that slide over the grab rail. They keep the boat well off the dock and are small enough that they don't float up over the freeboard like standard Fenders do. Watch out for plastic clips scuffing the gel - tips can be covered to prevent this. I use the same buoys for my Baby but because I didn't put cleats on the boat, I attach them to temporary mooring rings that fit between dock boards. Storage is a bit of a pain in all those boats.

For my Hornet, I use larger scale standard fenders. One on a bumper buddy clip for the rail, the other with a permanent looped end to hang of the front fender cleat.

For all the above I keep a set of two in each boat and attach as I come in to dock. For longer docking periods, I will add a small standard fender to the stern cleat of the Corsican.

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    Damn you Woobs. I was trying to stay out of the dock line thread....then tow line thread....now you had to start a fender thread. A man can only take so much...

...I'm so ashamed I posted.....I'm so weak.
    Step 1 is admitting you have a problem.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

18s and smaller Classics present a real challenge with the low freeboard. 22s aren't exactly easy either. I'd hate it, but I might actually have to go for the bent style (from Woobs's wonderful world of fenders above). Not sure. But something like those, or the flat ones, so there's something above as well as below the rubrail.

I'm generally a fan of the Taylor Made hollow cylinders due to their versatility. I buy 3/8" shock cord by the foot and make my own hangers. My boat is rack stored and fork-lifted from a floating pier, so 99% of the time I know exactly how the fenders should be set up. USUALLY works for rafting up as well, depending on the neighboring boat.

I've had good luck hanging one vertically from the midship cleat, and one horizontally from the stern cleat. (That layout might work on the Classics as well. Hanging the aft one horizontally keeps it from being dragged around the corner of the transom, leaving the hullside unprotected at the stern.)

I keep the fenders with the custom hangers in all the time. Can just deploy them on the cleats in a couple seconds. They normally go over any dock lines that are on the cleats, but can go under as well. Mooring cover can be on or off.
    In a given season, I might never need to do anything different, leaving the shock-cord hangers on the whole time.

stern view.JPG

But when I need to set them up differently, like to hang the fenders on pilings instead of on the boat, the dedicated shock-cord hangers come right out without untying anything, and the fenders are back to a blank slate again. (The first one is easy to figure out. The shock cord just slides right out. The second one...good luck guessing how it comes apart and goes back together without ever untying/tying any knots. But it does. Which makes it fast to take apart or put together, and the lengths stay the same, so it doesn't need adjustment. Comes apart in less than 10 seconds. Goes together in under 20. But I rarely ever have to change it up anyway.)

IMG_0129.jpg

"I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    A Donzi Classic has almost no deck height. This creates a dilemma when it comes to hanging fenders for rafting up or for protection at the dock. I am familiar with the low freeboard fender designs such as my first pic. This design still won't prevent a larger boat from riding up over it or prevent the boat from slipping under a dock intended for larger boats. My second pic shows what would be a more desirable solution but as pictured it is not practical. Is there a way to make this work? Is there a low freeboard fender that rises higher than the usual ones. What are you guys using for raft-ups etc.?
    I've never had a problem with the low freeboard fenders when rafting, provided they are hung in the right location. I carry a couple of suction mounts so I can place the fenders where needed.

http://www.harborfreight.com/suction...ase-46900.html

I do find the flat fenders help protect the deck better than the ones you showed. The flat ones don't move as much.

Slipping "under" the dock use to be a constant problem with the 16; not so much with the 22. Never could find a solution to that.

Finally a Fender thread!
    Guitars 10-06 004.jpg

L-R '58 Jazzmaster, '54 Strat, '59 Custom Esquire

Oh wait:
    IMG_3240.JPG

I tend to hang them off the dock, rather than from the boat whenever possible.
    And I like overkill. These are really big. I'll bring two to a Donzi event and extra dock lines.

I also have two of the smaller L-shaped ones which I would use for rafting (which I hardly ever do).
    1967 Ski Sporter (sold)
    2004 40th Anniversary Edition 18

Thread Information