Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FENDERS!!!! .... for those of you that asked

Quote Originally Posted by woobs View Post
    I'll even start!

My woody generally uses 3 (sometimes 4) inflatable fenders of the cylindrical type, hung with pre set nylon hangers on dedicated fender cleats. Pretty standard stuff really given the vintage of the boat and the application. I have not used covers but, have thought about it.... Some of my peers like the rope fenders however, I feel they are for "older" boat designs and not the fabulous "plastic" 1970's. Storage is not an issue in this boat.

My 18 2+3 was a different kettle of fish with its low freeboard. I was always looking for "bent" fenders to fold over the gunwale. Also with no dedicated fender cleat it was always a different solution to find a place to hang them (grab rail, tow bar and deck eye). I like the single plunge pin for cleat hangers but did not have them installed on this boat. Storage... in an 18. really?

Another issue when you use a waterway with a lock system is the fending off during lock through. It seems you need to be all-over at once and whatever motionless passenger in the boat beside you will be happy to watch things bump. scrape and rub while they silently feign ignorance. I sometimes wonder if a couple of those big orange ball type fenders would do the trick.... but, then storage would really be an issue!
    It's funny in a thread about fenders that Woobs posted a picture of a boat on a trailer that has no fenders. "Things that make you go Hhmmm"

Quote Originally Posted by TBroccoli View Post
    It's funny in a thread about fenders that Woobs posted a picture of a boat on a trailer that has no fenders. "Things that make you go Hhmmm"
    The purpose of the "trailer" picture was to illustrate the very short freeboard of the 18 2+3... as seen best on a trailer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Quote Originally Posted by jl1962 View Post
    Attachment 84469

I tend to hang them off the dock, rather than from the boat whenever possible.
    And I like overkill. .
    Ditto, I do the same thing. Most of the places I dock have slips to pull into. I tie off to both sides and a bow line in the front tied straight ahead. It allows the boat to move with the waves and never comes close to the docks. The only drawback to that is I have to jump from the bow to the dock. I haven't missed yet but I know there can be a first. If that happens I'll post pictures for everyone's amusement! I'm sure my wife or a friend wouldn't miss a photo opp like that.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

Quote Originally Posted by chip w View Post
    Ditto, I do the same thing. Most of the places I dock have slips to pull into. I tie off to both sides and a bow line in the front tied straight ahead. It allows the boat to move with the waves and never comes close to the docks. The only drawback to that is I have to jump from the bow to the dock. I haven't missed yet but I know there can be a first. If that happens I'll post pictures for everyone's amusement! I'm sure my wife or a friend wouldn't miss a photo opp like that.
    Hopefully no dental work if that happens.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

I always hop off BEFORE I spider-web the boat!
    1967 Ski Sporter (sold)
    2004 40th Anniversary Edition 18

I always hop off BEFORE I spider-web the boat!
    So far so good, I haven't missed yet in 12 years of Classics but there's always that chance. Now that I've said something it will probably happen this weekend.

Has anybody used something like this? I found them on Amazon.

Akua fender attachment.jpg

It's an Akua boat fender attachment and works with the Taylor made fender.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold

Looks like it could push itself off, no?

I don't think I'd trust suction cups.....
    1967 Ski Sporter (sold)
    2004 40th Anniversary Edition 18

I don't think I'd trust suction cups.....
    Another reason to use shock cord. Some stretch gives cup mounts a much better chance of holding.

Has anybody used something like this? I found them on Amazon.

It's an Akua boat fender attachment and works with the Taylor made fender.
    Those suction cups look similar to a type I used before. They are too weak to be reliable. If you want a suction cup type mount, use the one I posted earlier in this thread. Not sold as a fender mount, but they have great holding power.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

There was a former member here in Florida that carried fenders that actually strapped to dock pilings and presented a surface to the boat that resembles the flat fender above. Obviously a better solution for longer periods of time as the attachment takes longer than hanging a fender over the side.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I can never find the picture when I need it but... My boat like a 18 likes to get under anything it can then slam the deck into it. So a few years back I found those bass boat fenders,

And then I attach them with these little locks from Attwood. You tie the fenders to the little rings and when needed you just slide the ring in the notch and drop it. You will shred the fender before it will come off. I've tried. lol They look big but really only an inch long. I even took a little left over ratchet strap and attached the rings to the fenders with it. Takes about 2 seconds a fender to put them on the boat and they stay where they are supposed to.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/attwo...FQNkhgodSYQA1A
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

Paint, so I never use bumpers..
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

I do a similar thing but keep one side close to the dock but so that it still can't hit. Unless a line breaks . As you can see, most Great Lakes slips are made to handle much bigger boats!

Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    I do a similar thing but keep one side close to the dock but so that it still can't hit. Unless a line breaks . As you can see, most Great Lakes slips are made to handle much bigger boats!

Thanks for the pic Carl. That's exactly how I tie off. Likewise, on the intercoastal or at the places we stop around Tampa Bay the slips are like this for larger boats. It makes it pretty easy. But for the rare place where we have to tie up to a dock I like to put tie the fender to the dock. It has worked OK so far as long as there is not a lot of wave action.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold

Thread Information