Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Dock Line Size ...

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    I think I know why the correct lines aren't supplied.........
    The MFGRS get a huge break on volume orders which include customization.
    I betcha.
    Yep, I could see that. And/or, nobody was paying much attention. Just said, "hey, I can get these cheaply and give the customer something that matches the boat."

Ironically, the SeaFit Economy 3-strand pre-spliced are pretty hard to beat for price. $15 for 20-footers. Attwood has 15 footers for $9.35 on Amazon. Might be the same stuff, just re-branded. You can't even get a splice done in your own line for that price--really good deal.

New England Ropes high-strength 3/8" is stronger, but the economy stuff should stretch even better and has a softer feel--not as stiff. Only drawback to the economy stuff is snags more easily and likely doesn't handle chafe as well. I use the N.E.R. high-strength 3/8" for anchor rode (extra strength, don't care about the feel, and it's long enough that you get extra stretch from that).
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

If anyone wants to keep their "lines" (Mike, I knew that! ) nice and clean and soft, wash them in your washing machine in soft water.
    You don't have soft water?
    That's too bad, you deserve stiff lines!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

If anyone wants to keep their "lines" (Mike, I knew that! ) nice and clean and soft, wash them in your washing machine in soft water.

If you don't have soft water, soak them in a bucket of water with a healthy dose of fabric softener. Stir occasionally to work it into the fibers. Give them a day or so. Then rinse them thoroughly and hang them up to dry for a couple of days. Works great.

Probably can speed up the drying by doing the rinse in the washing machine, such that the spin cycle drives most of the water out before you hang them up.

(Note: this is for nylon lines. Not sure what you'll get with some other materials. Probably won't do anything for polypropylene.)

Quote Originally Posted by woobs View Post
    Dude, Gelcoat?
    Touche'. I stand corrected.

I guess you need to find some willow bark and get to weaving!

P1020965.jpg
    "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

I still have my old Culligan, George. I put a new digital valve/timer assembly on it.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter View Post
    ...I guess you need to find some willow bark and get to weaving!
    Lol. Yeah, I tried weaving hemp rope (as a natural fibre) but, after a couple bowls I just got hungry and forgot about weaving.

Fwiw, hey, I'm good for a thread on fenders .........
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Quote Originally Posted by woobs View Post
    Lol. Yeah, I tried weaving hemp rope (as a natural fibre) but, after a couple bowls I just got hungry and forgot about weaving.

Fwiw, hey, I'm good for a thread on fenders .........
    Fenders ... I do have a question about them if you start a thread.

BTW, kudos Carl on your nylon 180. Just a thought--if you expect to be out at PIB or other places where you might get tied up in ugly lake action, snubbers are a big step up, even from the stretch of nylon. They'll work with the poly lines you have just fine. Might be a good insurance policy. You don't have to use them all the time--can just have on board. You can rig one in under a minute if you've done it before.

For anyone whose boat sees any really ugly wave action while docked, I highly recommend them. They're not cheap, but they're a lot cheaper than glass repairs. They're over $50 apiece from West, but you can do much better if you look around. Amazon has them for $33/per. http://www.amazon.com/Dock-Edge-16-I.../dp/B002IZKCQ2 if you have lines from 3/8" to 7/16". Half inch might not squeeze in, would have to go up a size. Better probably to size the lines down than to buy much bigger snubbers just for dock lines, but maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    BTW, kudos Carl on your nylon 180. Just a thought--if you expect to be out at PIB or other places where you might get tied up in ugly lake action, snubbers are a big step up, even from the stretch of nylon. They'll work with the poly lines you have just fine. Might be a good insurance policy. You don't have to use them all the time--can just have on board. You can rig one in under a minute if you've done it before.

For anyone whose boat sees any really ugly wave action while docked, I highly recommend them. They're not cheap, but they're a lot cheaper than glass repairs. They're over $50 apiece from West, but you can do much better if you look around. Amazon has them for $33/per. http://www.amazon.com/Dock-Edge-16-I.../dp/B002IZKCQ2 if you have lines from 3/8" to 7/16". Half inch might not squeeze in, would have to go up a size. Better probably to size the lines down than to buy much bigger snubbers just for dock lines, but maybe not.
    It doesn't happen very often. I did buy six lines so that I can make a spring line on each side. That was the time I had to idle for 20 miles in 6-8 footers before I could plane out in 4s. Good ol Lake Erie.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    Fenders ... I do have a question about them if you start a thread.
    As requested...
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...547#post663547

have at 'er.
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

3/8"

The old white braided jobs.. Uglier but they don't slip with half hitches and the smooth ones do.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

I found a use for one of the original dock lines. It'll go to the cabin.

That looks cool

is it just pinned ?

Nope. Glued with polyurethane construction adhesive.

Thread Information