Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2006 22 classic cracks / Firewall Panel question

2006 22 classic cracks / Firewall Panel question

I have a 2006 22 Classic with a 496 Mag HO. Last season we noticed 1x 10" crack and a slight Crack opposite side in the interior engine carpartment located on the left and right wall midway down near the firewall panel. We noticed that the firewall panel was loose and speculate that the panel being loose may have caused stress on the boat and caused the cracks.

Question: does the firewall panel have any structural value in keeping the boat from twisting during movement?

The fiberglass guy we are using can't get access to the entire Crack because that front panel is in the way and wants to cut a section out to gain access. He will replace it with diamond plate thereafter.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I apologize for my terminology. Firewall Panel or bulkhead broke loose from frame and I speculate that is what caused the Crack.

pic's?

you might want to crawl underneath with a light and check the lifting strakes for cracks as well
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

The panel helps to support the deck, but it's "structural" value is questionable. It definitely helps, but how much...?? Older classics didn't even have the panel.
    I would be concerned in why it broke loose. It's unlikely the panel breaking loose caused the crack. It's more likely some major flexing happened which caused the crack
    and broke the panel loose.

Don't want to be Mr. Negative, but (as Buizilla said), go under the boat with a light and look at the ends of the center lifting strakes for cracks. Yours wouldn't be the only boat showing cracks there. For a while, Donzi was paying for the repair, because it was somewhat common. Make sure your light is very bright. I couldn't see my them with a flashlight, but when I checked a second time with a halogen work lamp, they showed up.

Post some pics if you can. Is the crack in the area I marked in the picture?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Why is faster never fast enough.

See attached photo. Thanks for the comments. Yeller my Crack appears to be one tier up from yours port side ... On opposite side there is another minor Crack in same place but not nearly as noticeable. We are at a point where the fiberglass guy can fix the area by cutting a half moon in the panel to fix the crack from end to end or he can pull the motor out and thoroughly examine if there is other damage... It will cost way more if he yanks the motor... What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Namstradamus View Post
    What do you think?
    I always get concerned when someone asks me this. Too many people are "experts" on the internet. Please don't think I am. I only have an opinion. I am far from an expert.
    That being said, it almost looks like the crack is a delamination of the end of a section of fiberglass. I say that because that's an odd place for fiberglass to just crack. That's on the side of the stringer. One of the strongest parts of the boat. That's why I'm leaning towards delamination....but your fiberglass guy should be able to determine that.

If it's just delamination, I'd just grind it down and glass in a patch. Before I went any further, I'd definitely check the underside of the boat. If there are any cracks showing up there, the motor will have to come out. I have a copy of Donzi's repair schedule that I can give you.

What everybody said is true.
    You really can't do much to fix the inherent problems a good number of boats exhibited during that time of manufacture w/out pulling the engine.
    My own 22 is of an older series, and built by a different owner of Donzi, but exhibited its own share of hull problems. Overall, a thorough inspection of the inside and bottom of the hull is called for.
    BTW, the "firewall" was installed in '94 and later boats to support the deck in the area of the rear seat back. Earlier boats had virtually no support in that area and were infamous for cracks in the gel. It's also a handy place to hang equipment.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

1.jpg

Here's the cutout to get access to the crack.

One simple thing you can do to satisfy yourself as to the seriousness is to use a small grinder on the edge of the area and see where it goes.
    It may be like Yeller mentioned that it's nothing more than the edge of some (non-structural) glass that was used to fill in the transition of the "shelves" and the hull sides.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

It appears to me that the crack is on the inside of the hull right above the chine . Is there any evidence on the outside of what is showing on the inside ?
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    It appears to me that the crack is on the inside of the hull right above the chine . Is there any evidence on the outside of what is showing on the inside ?
    No just the inside. more details to come.

Yes, I was mistaken on where the crack was. Going by the first pic I thought it was on the side of the stringer. Now I can see it is on the side of the hull, just above the "shelf". I'm going with delamination of the edge of a fiberglass piece. Upon working on my boat, I could tell there is fiberglass that ends there from glassing in the shelf, as well as the bulkhead.

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    Yes, I was mistaken on where the crack was. Going by the first pic I thought it was on the side of the stringer. Now I can see it is on the side of the hull, just above the "shelf". I'm going with delamination of the edge of a fiberglass piece. Upon working on my boat, I could tell there is fiberglass that ends there from glassing in the shelf, as well as the bulkhead.

Does that just happened naturally? Or was it from landing hard and the boat did a natural twist starting at the cross beam at the bottom and delaminated and loosen the firewall piece?

Quote Originally Posted by Selenium View Post
    Does that just happened naturally? Or was it from landing hard and the boat did a natural twist starting at the cross beam at the bottom and delaminated and loosen the firewall piece?
    As time goes by, you'll see the various parts of the hull move around a lot during spirited driving in a chop or wakes, waves, etc.
    I suspect these hulls see 10G's at times. Also, a Donzi is not the same quality as a Hinkley.
    If that piece is simply filling a gap, then it's purely cosmetic.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

There were problems occurring during several years of production which includes your boat.
    It apparently had to do w/changes Donzi made to the layup procedure as the solution included additional glass and eventually, some coring and additional glass.
    The center panel of the keel between the stringers was failing in the area of the engine mounts. Also boats w/ higher HP and were driven harder suffered more than other boats.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Thread Information