Thread: Outdrive

Outdrive

A friend has a 22 eliminator on a small lake with a 502 that goes honest 82 with an ss drive . After 20 years we are rebuilding better est 650 horse. He has been advised to bolt on a Blackhawks. The boat is run on smooth water only. Please provide advise and recommendations.

Blackhawk drive seems to work great in some applications, but also has a lot of negatives - drive availability, prop availability, parts availability, strength, setup, etc.

Have not compared the numbers, but I'd definitely look at a shorty Bravo/Imco setup as a strong alternative to the Blackhawk. Especially if there isn't some strong anecdotal evidence that the Bhawk will work on that hull and live behind that power.
    "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

DH is probably right, though I'd think the BH's counter-rotation might be pretty helpful in a 22 with that kind of power, to minimize torque effects. But that's a fair amount of juice to put through one I think.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

502 hooked to an Alpha SS?

I'm vary surprised an Alpha drive could handle the torque of a 502 for any length of time.
    I don't know much about BH drives other than props are limited and vary costly.
    I'd suggest, as others have, a strong Bravo (XR, XZ, Imco) with a short lower.
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

Thread Information