Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Faded red stripe on 2000 18 foot Classic

I would never have thought that vinyl would hold up to salt water and sun but clearly I'm wrong. Sounds like a quick remedy to a nagging problem on many classics. Let us know how you make out. I'm sure to properly prep and paint that stripe would be $800-$900.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    I would never have thought that vinyl would hold up to salt water and sun but clearly I'm wrong. Sounds like a quick remedy to a nagging problem on many classics. Let us know how you make out. I'm sure to properly prep and paint that stripe would be $800-$900.
    I will let everyone know how I make out.

I'm still not clear on how I get this vinyl. Do I need to find a local vinyl expert that can cut a piece and apply it or is there a company that sells the vinyl stripe for this boat? If there is, I can't find it.

If you want to get in touch with the guy who did mine let me know, I'm sure I can find his number. He's a good guy and I'm sure he could answer any questions you have.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdDonzi View Post
    If you want to get in touch with the guy who did mine let me know, I'm sure I can find his number. He's a good guy and I'm sure he could answer any questions you have.
    Thanks but I'm up here on Cape Cod Mass. It probably wouldn't hurt to talk with him.

Check your private messages.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdDonzi View Post
    I would think that having a guy with the deep experience of yours counts for a lot. If the vinyl will withstand Nascar speeds that boy knows his stuff! Curious, can they do vinyl in a solid color on a hull side or is it more for stripes and graphics?
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Capevetts, go to a local sign shop that wraps cars/trucks.

They can hook you up.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    I would think that having a guy with the deep experience of yours counts for a lot. If the vinyl will withstand Nascar speeds that boy knows his stuff! Curious, can they do vinyl in a solid color on a hull side or is it more for stripes and graphics?
    Yessir, It's hard to believe what they do with the cars. They can do complete cars with all the curves, nooks and crannies. I'm sure that the solid side of boats would be a snap!

Quote Originally Posted by CHACHI View Post
    Capevetts, go to a local sign shop that wraps cars/trucks.

They can hook you up.

Ken
    Thanks Ken. I was talking to a friend yesterday who has a possible installer here on the Cape.

I want to get it done right away because I want to get the boat in the water early (even though we may get a foot of snow tonight).

Well Done

3rdDonzi,
    Well done your boat looks fantastic, based on the overall condition it’s obvious that you take care and maintain your boat. The red boat I posted about is always stored with a oversized full cover and was in excellent condition. The only issue was faded sides were it was exposed to the sun about half way down. Much like your boat the transformation was dramatic and who ever installed the vinyl knows his trade.
    Question did you install the rub rail or did the boat come that way?
    Regards,
    Bobby D

Thanks for the compliments. I must admit she has a very easy life and I'm a bit OCD with the upkeep.
    Everything on it is bone stock the way it came from the factory in '95.
    3d

Vinyl would definately be cheaper than paint!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Striking out on installers on Cape Cod. One vinyl guy recommended painting it with Imron??

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    No doubt but after my experience I would go with vinyl even if the cost were higher. Not to mention if it were scratched or damaged it could be repaired very easily and cheap.
    I had an X18 back in the '80s that was Imron. Looked OK but I've seen better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Capevettes View Post
    Striking out on installers on Cape Cod. One vinyl guy recommended painting it with Imron??
    I would think that surely sombody in the Boston area does it.
    3d

Thread Information