Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Faded red stripe on 2000 18 foot Classic

Faded red stripe on 2000 18 foot Classic

After doing everything short of painting the faded red stripe on my 2000 18 foot Classic (buff polish, wet sand), I have decided to paint it. The wet sanding and polishing worked for a while but the sun faded it again last year.

Does anyone know what type of paint should be used and what the color codes are? Is it a special paint designed for the marine environment?

Thanks, Paul

372.JPG

My C22 red hull and deck stripe were done professionally using several red Awlgrip and nine, yes nine Awlgrip clear coat with work between coats. The depth is "Hot Rod" and you can stick you finger into it. Red gel coat pigments changed are not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilltopper View Post
    My C22 red hull and deck stripe were done professionally using several red Awlgrip and nine, yes nine Awlgrip clear coat with work between coats. The depth is "Hot Rod" and you can stick you finger into it. Red gel coat pigments changed are not good.
    Thanks for your reply. I just went onto the Awlgrip site and there are several reds. Vivid Red looks close but it's hard to tell. Do you know which is correct? Does 1 quart of color and 1 quart of clear get it done?

You might also pm Mr. Carter. He has done a ton of research on reds.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Deck Stripe Option

If it’s only the deck strip you want to address you may want to consider vinyl. Many colors to choose from and installation by a professional will not take long. A guy in my boat house had is hull done this way, it was a red boat that had faded to a pink color and once the vendor installed the vinyl the difference was like day and night, turned out very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    You might also pm Mr. Carter. He has done a ton of research on reds.
    OK, will do. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby D View Post
    If it’s only the deck strip you want to address you may want to consider vinyl. Many colors to choose from and installation by a professional will not take long. A guy in my boat house had is hull done this way, it was a red boat that had faded to a pink color and once the vendor installed the vinyl the difference was like day and night, turned out very nice.
    I did consider the vinyl stripe as an option. Who sells the correct width stripe?

Quote Originally Posted by Capevettes View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I just went onto the Awlgrip site and there are several reds. Vivid Red looks close but it's hard to tell. Do you know which is correct? Does 1 quart of color and 1 quart of clear get it done?
    Because I was redoing all the red including hull and stripe, I went with a darker, "richer" red Awlgrip and ordered darker matching red upholstery including the first new front high backs from Josh at Donzi Direct and those are mine I allowed him to use on his website. BTW, I have the original red complete set, for sale later this Spring when I get back up North. PM me if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Capevettes View Post
    I did consider the vinyl stripe as an option. Who sells the correct width stripe?
    I would imagine the vinyl shop can cut it any width you want.

Ken

Had same problem and went with vinyl too. Couldn't be happier!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdDonzi View Post
    Had same problem and went with vinyl too. Couldn't be happier!

Man that looks great

Had the same as you. The yellow just wouldn't wake up no matter what we tried. Had center stripe, waterline and bordering pinstripes all done for $500 which I think is reasonable. The guy is an artist. Don't know how he does it but you can't even notice around the lifting rings that it has been cut. I was told that they use the same material on billboards out west and it lasts over 20 years in the desert sun.... Don't know where you are located but I'm in the Charlotte NC area. The guy that did mine primarily does work for the NASCAR teams. All the cars are vinyl these days.

Oh yea, forgot to mention, it comes in a roll and he cuts it.

Very, very impressive!
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

That vinyl looks great. I may go with that instead of painting. Sounds like it lasts quite a while.

Thanks all for your input. I appreciate it.

Thread Information