Thread: Small block Ford - cooling advice needed

Small block Ford - cooling advice needed

Okay, I'm building a SBF. I have a great 5.0 HO roller block that I'll probably stroke to a 347 and bolt on some aluminum heads. I have these great H&M exhausts and I have my induction figured out too...

What I need to learn about is cross over systems and raw water cooling! Some of my issues are:

The classic H&M systems look simple and I can find a similar crank driven RW pump. However, I cannot find a SBF crossover pipe (I can probably make one) or a two outlet thermostat housing. Is there a system , or parts around that I can use to emulate this?

I could use a stock style recirculating pump yet, again I'm not sure if I can find a proper marine one in aluminum with a bronze impeller (should I consider an electric pump). The stock system seems much more complicated than 2 supply hoses to the exhausts so, I'd need to know what to plug up, and what to route where, while still having a clean looking engine install. If I keep a pulley recirculating system , do I go with V-belts or a serpentine? (Still have an alternator and potentially PS pump too)

The third consideration is if I were to install a fresh water system either now or, at some point in the future (I don't boat in salt water)... but, I may want to travel with this boat so, you never know.

lastly, I'm looking for a clean installation. I'd like to keep a somewhat vintage look but, not necessarily a historically correct one as long as the job gets done. Is a raw water/crossover system worth all the extra effort?

So, any thoughts, preferences, advice, experience?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Maybe I can help with some parts...
    First, Jack Chamberlain, in Lake Mary, FL stocks parts for PCM Ford engines.
    http://www.marineexhaustmanifolds.co...-and-parts.htm
    I'm pretty sure he can help w/a new block stabilized crank driven pump. You'll see he also has high center discharge exhaust manifolds for SBF's.

Also, Meziere not only makes electric circulating pumps (I really like their remote pumps),
    but they also offer block adapters for SBF's.
    https://www.meziere.com/Products/Coo...rs.aspx?page=2
    Not sure what you can do w/these, but they may be useful.

Also, this is my favorite source for remote closed cooling systems.
    https://www.perfprotech.com/high-per.../category/1511

I hope some of this is useful.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

If you chose to, you could completely clean up the front of the engine and change to PCM type front motor mounts.
    IMHO, the old HM front hardware had little going for it.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Thanks George, ...good links!

If I stay with the raw water system (and I want to), from what I can tell the thermostat housing seems to be the main kink.... they seem like they are made from unobtaineum.

I agree with you and will not be using a HM style front mounting plate...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sean Conroy,

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

I still have a timing chain cover off my old 260 interceptor from my 66 donzi also the cast aluminum oil pan and pickup
    Scars are tatoo's of the fearless

Quote Originally Posted by turbo2256 View Post
    I still have a timing chain cover off my old 260 interceptor from my 66 donzi also the cast aluminum oil pan and pickup
    Will they fit a modern 5.0 HO roller block?
    Sean Conroy,

Yes they will fit. The front cover dosent have a water pump mounting set up. The oil pan actually has the motor mounts built into it. Also have new marine motor mounts that bolt to the factory block location. If you want pics might take me a few days to find the front cover.
    Scars are tatoo's of the fearless

PM sent
    Sean Conroy,

Thread Information