Thread: Bravo 1 shifting

Bravo 1 shifting

I installed a new shifter with a short shift handle and really noticed hard shifting into reverse. Harder than forward. I tore the drive apart and disconnected the shift cable at the shift linkage and the shift is smooth in both directions.
    After breaking out the Mercruiser service manual, thanks to Don Tamm via a Farmer, and searching out hard shifting, it looks like there is an upgrade kit for the Bravo 1 drives.
    My shift cam has part number 806790 and my drive is a 0L serial.
    It looks like I need a YOKE & CAM ASSY Mercruiser 806552A1. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?
    Thanks,
    Taz
    Da Taz
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary will get you every time."
    Wes

You need a puller to get the pivot pin out.
    Otherwise, it's pretty straight forward.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Have you confirmed your clutches are lined up correctly? If the "+" and "-" marks on the clutches are not lined up properly, it will cause shifting problems. I am a long way from an expert, but I have my doubts the upgrade would solve your problem, based on how many thousands of drives were built before that upgrade kit and are out there with no shifting problems.

If you do change it, as George implied, it is pretty easy. The puller is optional though. The pin is threaded in the top, so I just screwed a bolt into it and pulled it out.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Thanks guys.
    I checked the part number in the upgrade kit and it is the same one in my drive. I slapped it back together, filled with new oil and I'll check it out soon.
    I read something about not shifting a Bravo without the motor running. Not sure how accurate that is but it could make a difference.
    Up next...more performance bling!!!
    Taz
    Da Taz
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary will get you every time."
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by txtaz View Post
    Thanks guys.
    I checked the part number in the upgrade kit and it is the same one in my drive. I slapped it back together, filled with new oil and I'll check it out soon.
    I read something about not shifting a Bravo without the motor running. Not sure how accurate that is but it could make a difference.
    Up next...more performance bling!!!
    Taz

From what I understand it needs to be running or at least someone spinning the prop to engage

I thought you were running it

mine is tough going into reverse also unless you spin the prop

Thanks JP.
    Hopefully I'll be on the water in a few weeks to test.
    Da Taz
    Wes

The engine needs to be running. I stretched my cables trying to shift without engine running. It is in the manual.

Thread Information