Thread: Aronow Construction - 2008 Interview Minutes

Aronow Construction - 2008 Interview Minutes

When researching the 1964's I uncovered this transcript that interviews Joe Urso, 82 years old at the time. Urso comments on Don Aronow's early success in New Jersey construction before he left for Miami and changed the boating world. He evidently also built several A&P Grocery stores in NJ, the last of which are now being sold in the companies bankruptcy last year.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Don Built some high rise apts/condos in the Oranges I pass them from time to time
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

To go way back to the beginning though, Don Aronow was born in SheepsHead Bay, Brooklyn there is no acknowledgement to his birthplace unlike another lengendary
    sports figure Vince Lombardi whom has a tribute in stone at the center of sheepshead bay road......I'm curious to why the SHB chamber of commerce has forgotten
    a favorite son like Don A...............Honey "Sunny Jim" Fitzsimmons also born in SHB has a dedication to his birth there.............I intend to put this question to them.
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

You should scippy, that makes no sense. In another twist, I bought my first Donzi, a 16 OB Baby, from a gentleman in Sheepshead Bay! I was too young to drive so my Uncle took me down from CT to this place I had never even heard of. I remember it like it was yesterday as we drove around in his Cutlass with a rental hitch, finally finding the proper house which was right on the water but kind of up high as I remember it with the water and docks well below it. The lots were a little tight as I remember the boat was on the side. We rang the door bell and I can remember that there was a ton of marble on the floor and walls. Anyway, I peeled off my entire years savings of $5,500 to who must have been the owners son, who was maybe 5 years or so older than me. Boat had an Evinrude 235 on the back and candy cane red and white interior.
    Sheepshead Bay.........go figure.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Greg I called the office of the brooklyn boro president who has the power in such matters as street dedications and what not.
    The young secratary whom I spoke had never had a question asked about any interest in regard to Don Aronow nor did she know
    who he was......I explained his notarity in the world of power boat racing and notable founder of great and historic boat companies.
    she was very excited. I told her to research the man "you won't be sorry to find him deserving an honorable place to mark his birth in SHB"
    so I await her response.
    Boy, I wonder if Michael Aronow would like to help in this regard, but I don't know how to reach him. Does anybody know if he's still around?
    Greg I know the area you described where you bought your 16 it's called the "Bayend" portion of SHB......tight bungalows raised high above
    the seawall. not much room between houses. most boats were either moored out in front in the bay -or- up on the lawn on trailers.
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Thread Information