Thread: Trim Tabs

Trim Tabs

So even though we had a great ride today we ran into a trim tab issue when we came into the marina. My tabs would not go "up" no matter what I tried. I switched battery off a few times but still I would hear a bit of noise from the pump but very little to no movement. They worked last time we went out but seemed to stop today. The pump was making noise but no real action. Any ideas? its a 2001 classic with the 496ho. I don't have the large "k planes" I think they are called just the regular size trim tabs. If they are shot should I replace with something similar or go with bigger tabs?

Was the hydraulic fluid level checked? The seals could be leaking.

seals

Thanks I will check properly today. The levels looked fine but I didn't have time to check properly yesterday

The oil level was my first thought too , but then I recalled having an issue a long time ago that was similar .
    What sometimes happens is the oil , due to old age , gets a little lumpy or gelatinous in the bottom of the reservoir and it can block a pick up tube .

Most of us just look at the level and if it's fine we never bother with a trim unit oil change , but it's not just the engine that benefits from one now and again !
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

a leak is usually easy to see you'll look like the exxon valdez when you hit the switch

also check I think I remember something about a built in breaker on some models if you try and operate indivudual tabs in different directions at the same time
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

pump was shot

Decided to just replace it. hopefully ready to hit the water later today!
    Thanks for all your suggestions

Thread Information