Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sand again

Quote Originally Posted by MDonziM View Post
    George - that pickup is too close to the centerline to clear an outdrive, I would assume that is a v-drive boat with some sort of rudder. That location would also disturb the water in front of the propeller (no good) of an outdrive if it were possible.

- M
    Marshall, you're absolutely correct. That's Brownie's old twin/in-line V-drive race boat.
    I was merely commenting on the shape of it.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by jordanmc View Post
    So I did it again, Went out for a great ride today and lunch in Florida around Boca Grande. I literally touched a shallow spot for 10 seconds and bingo sand sucked in and my temp started rising so I shut it down and got a tow in. I have the 496 HO with the Bravo drive with the high speed pickup which is great for speed but is the first thing to hit the sand. I don't believe I did any damage as I shut it down before it even hit 180 degrees but its unrealistic to think I won't pull sand again. Should I switch over to a completely closed system and eliminate the need to suck in any water?
    Any other things I could try first (other than not hitting the sand
    You already have a closed cooling system. Get a sea strainer and enjoy !
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

I have a couple of issues w/a "through the bottom" pickup;
    First, it requires a hole in the bottom of the hull, a possible place for failure
    w/a hard impact on the bottom.
    Second, I rented a house in the Keys once that came w/a 20' CC boat.
    It had a transom mounted depth sounder puck mounted a little over
    2' from center line. That puck really upset the handling of the boat.
    Any time you went much over 35 MPH, the boat would lay over to one
    side like you were dragging a tab. It wasn't my boat, so I did nothing about it.
    But I recognized how sensitive to trim, etc. devices on the bottom of even moderately
    higher performance boats are.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Exclamation

My first 16' Donzi, 1965 year, had a through the bottom pick up. Every time I'd run over a kelp bed it would suck the stuff in and overheat the motor.

Bravo one water pickup

My Bravo one seems to only have one water pickup which is one small hole on the front of the torpedo. Is that normal? Most seem to have dual water pickups from what I have seen

I understand they come in different configurations.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Bravos come in three different versions, Dual, Std, and Lower only. Like was said before you already have a closed cooling and only need a strainer in the long hose from the transom to the raw water pump.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanmc View Post
    My Bravo one seems to only have one water pickup which is one small hole on the front of the torpedo. Is that normal? Most seem to have dual water pickups from what I have seen
    Rated 'R'
    Raw Rowdy & Rockin

Got it, I will do that. Thx again

The $329 and or $399 one is just fine. Will need a pair of 1" pipe plugs and a pair of 1" npt to hose fittings.
    Rated 'R'
    Raw Rowdy & Rockin

IMHO this one, w/o the flush feature, is better for limited space. The flush feature is great in larger engine rooms.
    http://www.go2marine.com/product/861...93-series.html
    You just have to make sure there's overhead clearance for basket removal. This is probably the fastest
    opening strainer on the market. You can cut down the basket height by cutting the hoop/handle in two
    and rolling the edges over to make two handles. Another advantage of this strainer is, it never loses it's
    water, or prime. It stays full all the time. Some of the strainers on the market don't, I.E., they can drain
    down every time you pull the boat out of the water.
    I'd recommend the 1-1/4 size.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

I thought we were talking about sand????? Unless it has a sand filter its useless in this situation. You are gonna need something like this,

PS, you are not getting sand out of the filter with a basket.
    Again not being a dick here but if I were you I would start thinking about solving the problem instead of fixing symptoms. I have 3 feet of water at my boat ramp on a good day and have to cross a sandbar 100 feet from the ramp. Almost guaranteed the drive will touch bottom at some point. Rebuilt my motor this past late Fall. No strainers, no filters and not a single grain of sand in the motor or exhaust.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

Quote Originally Posted by f_inscreenname View Post
    I thought we were talking about sand????? Unless it has a sand filter its useless in this situation. You are gonna need something like this,

Again not being a dick here but if I were you I would start thinking about solving the problem instead of fixing symptoms. I have 3 feet of water at my boat ramp on a good day and have to cross a sandbar 100 feet from the ramp. Almost guaranteed the drive will touch bottom at some point. Rebuilt my motor this past late Fall. No strainers, no filters and not a single grain of sand in the motor or exhaust.
    Anything heavy settles in the Perkos, the water pulls off the top.
    Just a question.....how fast can you get that thing apart and empty/clean it?
    Well, that may not be fast enough.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by f_inscreenname View Post

What is your suggestion re solving the problem instead of fixing symptoms. Do you have a different water pickup in your boat?

I showed 2 pick ups. You can go with the transom mount or the one ghost posted. That's what I use in the 19. It does 65mph with a 496 and has never had an cooling issue. The race boat uses a transom pick up with strainers but they are just for floating debris (basket style) and so far I have never saw anything inside of them.
    If I were you I would use the one ghost posted and be done with sand before I would drop 4,5, 6 hundred bucks on something just to stop it from going in the motor.

PS, G you ever see sand float? I have. Also take that strainer and shake it up some by bouncing over waves and I bet a milkshake of sand and water will travel without a fine filter (which will clog up easy).
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

Thread Information