Thread: Sand again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sand again

So I did it again, Went out for a great ride today and lunch in Florida around Boca Grande. I literally touched a shallow spot for 10 seconds and bingo sand sucked in and my temp started rising so I shut it down and got a tow in. I have the 496 HO with the Bravo drive with the high speed pickup which is great for speed but is the first thing to hit the sand. I don't believe I did any damage as I shut it down before it even hit 180 degrees but its unrealistic to think I won't pull sand again. Should I switch over to a completely closed system and eliminate the need to suck in any water?
    Any other things I could try first (other than not hitting the sand

You still need to suck in raw water even if you install FWC and in the event you suck in sand it would probably interfere in some way with the heat exchanger tubes.

It sounds like a good strainer might be in your future .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

sea Strainer

You are bang on. I know it wont cure the problem but I think I should get a sea strainer. I have been searching through tons of old posts and there is tons of great debate on which brand to go with and if you should go with a transom mount water pickup. I am still learning so this concept is knew to me. I have a 2001 496HO with the water pickup right on the front of torpedo. This might be a stupid question but can you install a sea strainer without changing to a transom mount pickup or should I do the transom mount pickup first? Which strainers are people using these days the posts I was looking at are pretty old.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanmc View Post
    You are bang on. I know it wont cure the problem but I think I should get a sea strainer. I have been searching through tons of old posts and there is tons of great debate on which brand to go with and if you should go with a transom mount water pickup. I am still learning so this concept is knew to me. I have a 2001 496HO with the water pickup right on the front of torpedo. This might be a stupid question but can you install a sea strainer without changing to a transom mount pickup or should I do the transom mount pickup first? Which strainers are people using these days the posts I was looking at are pretty old.
    Love my Hardin on my 496--uses the drive pickup. Also have the Hardin SS pump.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

That's another reason I like having the water pick up in the bottom of the boat.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

I would go for the transom pick up first. You my find you don't need the strainer then..Ed

So I did it again, Went out for a great ride today and lunch in Florida around Boca Grande. I literally touched a shallow spot for 10 seconds and bingo sand sucked in and my temp started rising so I shut it down and got a tow in. I have the 496 HO with the Bravo drive with the high speed pickup which is great for speed but is the first thing to hit the sand. I don't believe I did any damage as I shut it down before it even hit 180 degrees but its unrealistic to think I won't pull sand again. Should I switch over to a completely closed system and eliminate the need to suck in any water?
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there's any system that doesn't need to suck seawater and run it through an exchanger.

To Mark's point earlier, perhaps it's time to disconnect the intake line from the drive and put an intake fitting on the hull itself? Something along the lines of:
    s-l1600.jpg
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Here's another "old school" transom pick up from 1967 so they have been around a while.

Ghost posted the one that I have in the 19 and Biese (the Biese has two pick ups with one also in the whip strut). The only issue is (I don't know crap about he Bravos) if the Merc has a water pump in the drive. My boats have a raw water pump on the front of the motor. A circulation pump alone wont cut it.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

Quote Originally Posted by f_inscreenname View Post
    Here's another "old school" transom pick up from 1967 so they have been around a while.

Ghost posted the one that I have in the 19 and Biese (the Biese has two pick ups with one also in the whip strut). The only issue is (I don't know crap about he Bravos) if the Merc has a water pump in the drive. My boats have a raw water pump on the front of the motor. A circulation pump alone wont cut it.
    Alphas have (marginal) pumps in the drive, and folks are better off getting rid of them.
    Bravos don't and use engine driven pumps.
    The one in the picture looks similar to the pickup supplied by Merc for TRS drives.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Alphas have (marginal) pumps in the drive, and folks are better off getting rid of them.
    Bravos don't and use engine driven pumps.
    The one in the picture looks similar to the pickup supplied by Merc for TRS drives.
    George - that pickup is too close to the centerline to clear an outdrive, I would assume that is a v-drive boat with some sort of rudder. That location would also disturb the water in front of the propeller (no good) of an outdrive if it were possible.

- M
    1978 Magnum Starfire "MAYHEM"
    1994 Donzi 22 Classic 540/Blackhawk - Sold
    1982 Midnight Express 32 SS

Quote Originally Posted by MDonziM View Post
    George - that pickup is too close to the centerline to clear an outdrive, I would assume that is a v-drive boat with some sort of rudder. That location would also disturb the water in front of the propeller (no good) of an outdrive if it were possible.

- M
    Marshall, you're absolutely correct. That's Brownie's old twin/in-line V-drive race boat.
    I was merely commenting on the shape of it.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Bravo one water pickup

My Bravo one seems to only have one water pickup which is one small hole on the front of the torpedo. Is that normal? Most seem to have dual water pickups from what I have seen

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there's any system that doesn't need to suck seawater and run it through an exchanger.

To Mark's point earlier, perhaps it's time to disconnect the intake line from the drive and put an intake fitting on the hull itself? Something along the lines of:
    s-l1600.jpg
    That is not a performance style pickup, more for a cruiser. Bob's, Stainless Marine, Hardin etc. make performance pickups. Closed cooling systems are just heat exchangers so they run raw water around a core of water/anti-freeze. They require an automotive style circulation pump in addition to the raw water pump.
    1978 Magnum Starfire "MAYHEM"
    1994 Donzi 22 Classic 540/Blackhawk - Sold
    1982 Midnight Express 32 SS

You already have a closed cooling system. Get a sea strainer and enjoy !
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Thread Information