Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shop building

Shop building

I bought and restored an older shop building within 2 miles of my home over the past month. My 1971 Donzi 18' 2+3 and 1985 23' Eliminator Daytona are the first two boats now in a new home.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

They look very happy in there. Did you use MDF and then stain it for the half height side walls? Warms things up visually and looks good.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Nice .................................................

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    They look very happy in there. Did you use MDF and then stain it for the half height side walls? Warms things up visually and looks good.
    The building came with the wafer board walls along with the insulation and windows with security bars. I added window trim and baseboards that I painted along with installing custom blinds. I also epoxied the floor with Sherwin Williams Tile-Clad after lots of prep work.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Very nice.

I keep dreaming of having a shop like that. Maybe someday.....our lottery is at $60M right now....
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    Very nice.

I keep dreaming of having a shop like that. Maybe someday.....our lottery is at $60M right now....
    Glen,
    Finding one like this around where I live does not come up very often and this one is not laid out perfectly for my use, but it was fairly affordable. Here is what it looked like when I bought it a month ago.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Bill congratulations!
    I see the AC air handler which is a great feature!
    What are your plans for paint prep (dust/etc) and painting?
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Bill congratulations!
    I see the AC air handler which is a great feature!
    What are your plans for paint prep (dust/etc) and painting?
    Hi George and Merry Christmas! Actually that is a gas heater with no AC, but I might add AC later. I don't plan to do any restoration or paint work at this shop - just a place to store some boats and cars near my home and make more storage units available at my boat storage facility by Lake Texoma. There is another storage building and house/office building on the commercial property that I will be leasing out. I already have a pinter lined up to paint all 3 buildings after Christmas. Here is a UAV shot I took a couple months ago.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    Hi George and Merry Christmas!
    Thanks Bill, and Merry Christmas to you and your wife!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Bill Nice acquisition!!..............that's alot of square footage, love the epoxy floor.....you did it?
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by scippy View Post
    Bill Nice acquisition!!..............that's alot of square footage, love the epoxy floor.....you did it?
    Hi Pete and Merry Christmas! Yep, I have done all the work so far, but I hired a relative/painter to paint the exteriors after Christmas. It took six 2 gallon kits of Sherwin Williams Tile-Clad epoxy to do the concrete floor with an 18" roller after cutting in the edges by brush - a very toxic smelling job, but tough stuff that will really last! I prepped the concrete by renting a Home Depot 17" circular floor polisher with the grinder block pad using 36 grit abrasive disks. I spent 9 hours grinding the concrete floor! I used 6" x 12' cedar wood for the baseboards after painting them with the same paint as the 6 window trim pieces and then caulked the concrete to baseboard junctions with cedar tan caulking. All the windows have security bars and I added custom translucent blinds to keep anyone from seeing inside the shop. I replaced all the lights with 6500K fluorescents which is about as blue as you can get but I love the look. There are about 14 110v outlets surrounding the shop and 4 220v outlets at the back end. There are 6 air quick connect outlets along a pipe mounted on the left wall. This used to be a local builder's shop building before they sold out so it is well built with quite a few ammenities that I really like. The back door is actually a loading dock so the only entrance for trailers is the front door. I am about to mount a commercial garage door opener at the front door for easier access. There is also an alarm system already wired into the building, but I will probably get another system. I don't think I have spent over $1600 on all the improvements so far with me doing all the work. How is your Magnum coming along?

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Bill what you have there is a great exspanse to house whatever suits you.........for now you can have a boat show on that finished floor!
    The space is now (for lack of a better term) an absolute man cave!..........takes some doing (and means) to transform a dusty old building
    into what you have now............good for you, you deserve it!
    My Magnum project has wained for almost 2 yrs now..... 2 girls put through colledge one in medical school right now, but like I told my wife
    Margaret 'by hook or crook" it's going to get splashed in the salt of the atlantic sooner rather than later.........thst is until the next tuition
    is due ............I've made progress though with the purchase of a new aluminum trailer and 2 (383) SB's picking up after the holidays.
    The Mag will get done I have no worries...........I'm living forever!!......................................... .Best to you and the old lady!
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Thanks Pete. I'm glad to hear that you have your priorities in order - kids then boats - lol. Yes, I really like the new building and how it all turned out. If you had been there when I made the deal with the 77 year old lady who owned it you would have laughed - we shook hands that night and since we are both business people we didn't have to worry about our agreement - that is how you do business in Texas if you want to live long - lol. Have a Merry Christmas!

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

If you were not 1,500 miles away, I would be asking to store the 16 there. LOL

On a side note, you know I was in the heating business for 40 years
    So
    Do something with the duct work
    And
    The gas piping is illegal
    No drip pocket.
    What a nice looking interior...Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Donnelly View Post
    If you were not 1,500 miles away, I would be asking to store the 16 there. LOL

On a side note, you know I was in the heating business for 40 years
    So
    Do something with the duct work
    And
    The gas piping is illegal
    No drip pocket.
    What a nice looking interior...Ed
    Hi Ed and Merry Christmas. What do you mean by do something with the duct work? Also, what is a drip pocket and why is the gas piping illegal? This building was built and maintained by one of the best construction companies in our area and this building would have had to be built to city codes. Maybe your laws are different or the building codes have changed over the years?

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Thread Information