Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Volvo AQ280E - Unicorn?

Has anyone with a classic 16' or 18' tried a Volvo drive raised up Like Jeff & I have done with our twin engine Magnums, it works ! And now that there is a manufacturer who is making prop hub adapters for Volvo 250, 270 & 280 drives so you can now use Mercruiser Mirage & Bravo props that are far better running on the surface than a Solas & are less expensive. Turning point Propeller is now making the hub kit that is compatible with Merc's Flo Torq II, these hubs are supposed to be available 1/1/16 for around $70.00. My Magnum run's 70mph with mild engines that would only push this hull with stock height Volvo drives just into the low 60's. I know when the time comes to replace my engine in my X-18 I will be raising the Volvo drive up & with my power trim set up it will more than fast enuff with out going to the dark side...

I don't know that there is enough space in an 18 to raise the engine/drive enough to make a difference. In my 16 I had to use a low profile spark arrestor and it still rubbed the underside of the hatch.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    Has anyone with a classic 16' or 18' tried a Volvo drive raised up Like Jeff & I have done with our twin engine Magnums, it works ! And now that there is a manufacturer who is making prop hub adapters for Volvo 250, 270 & 280 drives so you can now use Mercruiser Mirage & Bravo props that are far better running on the surface than a Solas & are less expensive. Turning point Propeller is now making the hub kit that is compatible with Merc's Flo Torq II, these hubs are supposed to be available 1/1/16 for around $70.00. My Magnum run's 70mph with mild engines that would only push this hull with stock height Volvo drives just into the low 60's. I know when the time comes to replace my engine in my X-18 I will be raising the Volvo drive up & with my power trim set up it will more than fast enuff with out going to the dark side...
    Can you post a little more info about those prop adapters?

-Gary

Before you start spending ........ If Turning Point makes a hub adapter, the first thing I would try is a Revolution 4 prop from Mercury. These props are fast on deeper drives and I suspect that you would easily pick up 4-5mph of top speed with better all around handling. I have several Rev4's. The big blade area lifts the entire boat up, not just the bow so less wetted surface. Rev4's come from the factory with PVS holes as well so you can mess around with plugs to fine tune. If you poke around you can find them used. What state are you located in Gary?
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Quote Originally Posted by retroicon View Post
    Can you post a little more info about those prop adapters?

-Gary
    Here is the post on OSO about the hubs.

Hub Kit

Hello all,
    Just a note to let all the guys still running Volvos that Turning point Propeller is now making a hub kit that is compatible with Merc's Flo Torq II, Michigan Wheel XHS, and Solas Rubex prop systems. The are supposed to be available 1/1/16.

Anybody interested let me know.
    Tom
    Cobe Marine
    410-255-9488
    info@cobemarine.com

Wow, that sounds pretty amazing. So many props are compatible.

I put in an email, and am waiting for more info.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    Before you start spending ........ If Turning Point makes a hub adapter, the first thing I would try is a Revolution 4 prop from Mercury. These props are fast on deeper drives and I suspect that you would easily pick up 4-5mph of top speed with better all around handling. I have several Rev4's. The big blade area lifts the entire boat up, not just the bow so less wetted surface. Rev4's come from the factory with PVS holes as well so you can mess around with plugs to fine tune. If you poke around you can find them used. What state are you located in Gary?
    Sorry, just saw this Greg... I'm in Central FL.

just saw 4 e drives come up for sale on one of the powerboat pages on facebook guy had 4 3 of them needed work and 1 was in running condition

caused quite a stir had a couple of props too
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    just saw 4 e drives come up for sale on one of the powerboat pages on facebook guy had 4 3 of them needed work and 1 was in running condition

caused quite a stir had a couple of props too
    Also on OSO in the for sale section.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

E-Drive schematics & parts lists

I recently posted an album of e-drive schematics and parts lists under my profile. Please let me know if you can't view them.
    There are several different versions of e-drive and different gear ratios.

Thread Information