Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Donzi but not to Boating (Classic 22)

New to Donzi but not to Boating (Classic 22)

My first real post here and I'd like to say thanks to the forum

I have been lurking for awhile trying to learn what I could

I just picked up a Donzi Classic 22 and here is my back story

I'm 47

I grew up as a kid working my dads small marina in southern NJ in the summers

Ive been around boats since I can remember and have worked as a dock hand ,boat boy, mate all the way up to running my old mans 40 footers off shore

I've been boating and fishing my whole life

I'm not a stranger to performance boats and have spent time on scarabs , formulas and various ski boats

My dad had one of the faster off shore rigs 35 + years ago

In my youth I would always see those dam Donzis buzzing around the back bays at that magic glassy time at the end of the day

I learned to know the sound of a certain sweet 16 that has hanging on a lift a few coves down

I would hear him coming and just smile as I watched him rip by ....... The boat sounded incredible

The Brooders of MAB Paint fame had another yellow sweet 16 with a Berkley jet drive that would roost by with a rooster tail that seemed like it went forever

Point is as a kid I lusted after a Donzi but it never seemed to happen

My boats always seemed to be the more fishing type

Robala center consoles , Ranger Bass boats for a time when I was into that and even an airboat which I still have for chasing small mouth on the Susquehanna and Delaware

I also had a 31 Contender for the last 12 or so years that I used up and down the North East coast chasing Marlin ,Tuna and Striper

I loved tournament fishing and running to the canyons etc.

The last few years the Contender has sat in a warehouse gathering dust

I just had no time and it was alway easier to jump in a car with a rod and jump on one of my buddies boats that were sitting in the water in different ports up and down the coast

With three daughters that have no real interest in fishing slowly my dreams of chasing Marlin and Tuna with them started to fade

Well two or three years went by not using the Contender except for a shake down run on a local lake a year or so ago and along came a good guy that made me an offer I couldn't refuse on my pristine Contender

There was only one condition to the sale I had to find a replacement boat. I've always had at least two boats around

Something to take my kids and wife out on

The wife has family along the coast in Delaware and they are always bugging me to come down but floating around on a pontoon boat just doesn't agree with me

The Contender was just to big to haul around and pull tubes with and the airboat does not work for pulling anything

So I first turned down the guys offer on the Contender and as I drove away I thought of what boat I would like to take the kids and wife on to explore the back bays pull tubes and do some exploring upstate in The Thousand Islands were I used to fish. I can stick a rod or two up under the bow and when I'm done doing the family thing I can jam out to the rips or rocks and try for a Striper or two

The found memories of my youth watching those Donzis rip around came flooding back and I started to search the Internet and the web looking for a Donzi that would suit my needs

First growing up as a boat boy I am rather picky so I knew it would have to be clean. I wanted something a little hypo in the engine department and being that I wanted to do some exploring on it I wanted a 22 footer.

I wanted a boat from the hand laid hull days

I also wanted a fresh water boat

Growing up in the salt I know how hard on things it is

I stumbled on the boat I bought. It was only listed a few days when I found it

It is a 96 hull

it has a fresh Mercury Blue Motor and was owned and built by Precision Marine Performance in upstate NY

I called the owner who had built the boat for his son. From the impression I got from him it might of turned out a bit to fast and he was concerned

We made a deal. In that deal I asked him what else would he do to the boat. He said that he would add dual ram steering. A quick call to Mayfair and the kit was on its way to him for an install before I picked up the boat

With the the boat there was two props. A Labbed left hand drive 25 pitch prop and a right hand drive 4 blade 26 pitch prop what ch has been sent out already for a lab finish

I called the guy that wanted the Contender and agreed to sell it

Well this all took place recently and I just got the Donzi home and I'm pleased

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so a video has got be a bunch more

I like making videos so I made a mini documentary on the experience

I'm going to miss the Contender but it's time to turn the page and this little classic has made it easier

Please tell me what you think of the boat etc

thanks

Congratulations!!!!

Welcome to the Donzi disease. I am sorry to inform you, you will not want another boat. Unless, you have some Poodle in you, then you will want every fast boat made.

We have very similar backgrounds as I grew up with my parents owning a marina as well. My family is also from Sunbury, PA. I've been skiing on the Susquehanna and have fond memories of spending time there. Especially when the pheasant hunting was good.

It looks like the boat is in very good hands and will be well taken care of. Keep an eye out for events and gatherings and try to make a few. It's a great way to meet our fellow boaters.

Best regards,
    Taz
    Da Taz
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary will get you every time."
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by txtaz View Post
    Congratulations!!!!

Welcome to the Donzi disease. I am sorry to inform you, you will not want another boat. Unless, you have some Poodle in you, then you will want every fast boat made.

We have very similar backgrounds as I grew up with my parents owning a marina as well. My family is also from Sunbury, PA. I've been skiing on the Susquehanna and have fond memories of spending time there. Especially when the pheasant hunting was good.

It looks like the boat is in very good hands and will be well taken care of. Keep an eye out for events and gatherings and try to make a few. It's a great way to meet our fellow boaters.

Best regards,
    Taz
    i will Taz thank you

after years of leaving the family at home to go fishing I'm trying to drag them along on my boating excursions so this is my idea of a family boat

thanks again

Thumbs up

Congratulations on your new 22. Looks and sounds great. Enjoy it.

Nice first post.

Congrats on the boat and welcome to the Board!
    1967 Ski Sporter (sold)
    2004 40th Anniversary Edition 18

Thanks to all

I've been a Donzi fan for over 40 years ...... It just took me awhile to get one

Great story Looks and sounds like big smiles await you
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Quote Originally Posted by joseph m. hahnl View Post
    Great story Looks and sounds like big smiles await you

Thx

here are some pics from the video

Is it just me . or is the L/H prop a little curious ?
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    Is it just me . or is the L/H prop a little curious ?

Good eye

this boat came with two props

the one that is on a left hand 25 pitch that has been lab finished and is what the boat broke 80 miles an hour wth 3 guys and a full tank

it it also came with a 4 blade right hand 26 pitch that is out getting lab finished as we speak

Bravo I drives can be reversed by switching the cable in the throttle commander

I will switch it back to a right hand drive when I get the 4 blade back and probable run that prop most of the time for more all around performance

a left hand drive is supposed to work a bit better for solo high speed runs

I don't know if that is true I'm just quoting what I was told by the guy that built the engine

JP,

Welcome to the Donzi world. I too have a 1996 22 Classic. I love it. I take it out on the Sassafras River most summer weekends. The whole family likes to go out on it (wife and 3 boys).

Quote Originally Posted by TBroccoli View Post
    JP,

Welcome to the Donzi world. I too have a 1996 22 Classic. I love it. I take it out on the Sassafras River most summer weekends. The whole family likes to go out on it (wife and 3 boys).

Sounds awesome

I envy you guys that get a lot of fresh water running

i would love to see pics

Nice looking boat ! If you are going to be running a lot in salt water , I highly recommend a closed cooling system. Half systems are reasonably priced
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Plugging away

waiting on cables but the new Hardin control is mounted

Gauges are starting to come in

Change out a lot of deck hardware and all snaps

seats are back from upholstery shop

Added a roller and replaced keel protectors

Thread Information